Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SeminOwl2006 Making His Way Across the US to Help Build Homes...

Add topic

Just a brief note to let members know of an opportunity to become part of a worthwhile cause…

FAU Alumnus and OwlsNest board member & contributor, Chris Lohr (pictured above), AKA “SeminOWL2006,” will be peddling across the US this Summer on a 3,500 mile bike ride for the cause of affordable housing in conjunction with Bike & Build.

In essence, Bike & Build is a charitable organization with the following mission:

To raise money for, and draw awareness towards, affordable housing efforts through cross country cycling trips. Our events act as a catalyst to build homes, foster the spirit of service, and empower young adults; mile by mile, house by house.

Since being founded as an independent 501©3 organization in 2002, Bike & Build has engaged over 1,000 riders and has donated more than $2.3MM and 63,500 hours to affordable housing groups throughout the country.

You can learn more about Bike & Build Here at their official website.

Chris has a heart to help those in need and we have partnered with him financially to assist in covering the basic need costs of his journey.

Please consider joining us. Every dollar will make a difference; even if only a few. There is no minimum.

• Click Here for a printable 2010 Bike & Build brochure.

• Click Here to make a contribution electronically.

• Email Chris with questions not addressed herein at [email protected].

Thanks,

Rick

Back to the top

Just a brief note to let members know of an opportunity to become part of a worthwhile cause…

FAU Alumnus and OwlsNest board member & contributor, Chris Lohr (pictured above), AKA “SeminOWL2006,” will be peddling across the US this Summer on a 3,500 mile bike ride for the cause of affordable housing in conjunction with Bike & Build.

In essence, Bike & Build is a charitable organization with the following mission:

To raise money for, and draw awareness towards, affordable housing efforts through cross country cycling trips. Our events act as a catalyst to build homes, foster the spirit of service, and empower young adults; mile by mile, house by house.

Since being founded as an independent 501©3 organization in 2002, Bike & Build has engaged over 1,000 riders and has donated more than $2.3MM and 63,500 hours to affordable housing groups throughout the country.

You can learn more about Bike & Build Here at their official website.

Chris has a heart to help those in need and we have partnered with him financially to assist in covering the basic need costs of his journey.

Please consider joining us. Every dollar will make a difference; even if only a few. There is no minimum.

• Click Here for a printable 2010 Bike & Build brochure.

• Click Here to make a contribution electronically.

• Email Chris with questions not addressed herein at [email protected].

Thanks,

Rick

Back to the top

Re: SeminOwl2006 Making His Way Across the US to Help Build Homes...

The organization also recently received a Pepsi Refresh grant…the commercial is now on TV heres the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve49WYH4jNI

(Sharif is a fellow Bike & Build leader, riding a different route this summer)

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

The organization also recently received a Pepsi Refresh grant…the commercial is now on TV heres the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve49WYH4jNI

(Sharif is a fellow Bike & Build leader, riding a different route this summer)

2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

In Nags Head, we head out on Sunday for the mainland (Swanquarter).

Follow the trip here at the Owl's Nest or at my blog

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

hammerandgears.blogspot.com

If anyone lives or has friends & family along the route let me know…the more food donations we get the more we can give to affordable housing groups along the way!

Back to the top

Is there any way to put your route on here to see? I believe I'll be too far north but I'd like to see what parts of the country you'll be going through.

OK, I just looked at the brochure. You will be not come that far north but the biker leaving from Providence to San Francisco looks like he/she might be coming right through town (assuming he/she is taking US 36 west). If he/she is, then he/she might be passing less than a mile from my house.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl,

Each route has 32 riders plus a support van so if they come through have a good chance of seeing themI am not sure what the route through Illinois is exactly but I can give you the email of one of the leaders of that route and you can give them a buzz.  Where in Illinois are you because a whole slew of rides go through there.

Back to the top

I live in Decatur, IL, center of the state. Looking at the routes on the brochure, the Providence to San Francisco group are coming the closest, from what I can tell. Might be a little north or south of here. I'm just assuming US 36 since it starts back east somewhere and goes through OH, IN and IL and right thru Decatur. It may be too busy. This is very much farming country. Except for the larger cities like Decatur, Bloomington, Champaign and Springfield, there aren't many roads cutting through the farms. You would have to bike in a maze of roads going around the farms. I was just curious.  I'll keep my eye on the news to see if anything comes up. That won't be for a while though.

Keep us posted and good luck!  :)

If you can, be sure to post pictures.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I think that they actually skip past Decatur and take IL 29 from Effingham to Springfield.  Not sure though, sometimes we set up routes so that they get the best of lots of towns…but this is already an almost 90 mile day so probably not.  The cool thing is that they are actually building in Springfield, so if you are able to you could probably go out and build with them (likely the local Habitat for Humanity chapter) and meet them…all great people.

Back to the top
Control functions: