Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2010 Gainesville Regional Discussion Thread

Add topic

Gainesville Regional Discussion Thread

2010 Gainesville Regional - 1st Round:

#2 Florida Atlantic (35-22, 21-9) vs #3 Oregon State (31-22, 12-15)

June 4th @ 1:00 p.m.

Gametracker: HERE

Listen Live:  HERE

The Series:

Florida Atlantic and Oregon State have faced each other only once on the diamond, back in 1998, a 13-5 win for the Beavers.

Regional Tidbits:

The SEC comes into the tournament with the #1 conference RPI ranking, while the PAC-10 is right behind at #2 . The Sun Belt holds a #6 ranking, and the MEAC fills the bottom at #32.

Team RPI Breakdown: Oregon State 25th, Florida Atlantic 38th.

Strength of Schedule:Oregon State 5th, Florida Atlantic 62nd.

Oregon State

On the mound: RHP Greg Peavey (5-3, 3.69 ERA)

Inside the Beavers' Dugout

The Beavers became just the 5th program in NCAA history to earn consecutive titles, advancing to the College World Series in '06 & '07 where they won national titles.

The weekend marks the 5th post-season appearance for the Beavers in their last six season, their 11th overall.

Finishing strong, the Beavers went 10-5 in their last 15 games, of those 10 victories, nine came against clubs with RPIs in the top 60 and seven were against teams in the top 30.

Beavers head coach Pat Casey is the program's all-time winningest coach in tournament games, going 29-8 (.783).

Oregon State has played 54 NCAA Tournaments games, earning a 34-20 (.629) mark and are 17-13 (.567) in NCAA Regional play.

The Beavers have hit the fewest home runs of any other team in the field (41), and are also sporting the lowest batting average (.266).

Travis Anderson leads the Beavers with a .348 batting average and slugging percent .609 while Adalberto Santos (.337) leads the team with 69 hits and 46 run scored, and 35 RBI, 10 home runs & 14 doubles. Santos has reached base safely in 37 straight games.

Friday's Starter, Peavey is (1-7, 7.33 ERA) on the road & (3-7, 5.98 ERA) during day games.

The Beavers have been formidable from the toe rubber on the season with a 3.97 ERA and hold a 7-10 mark for games played on the road while going 16-13 during day games.

Florida Atlantic

On the mound: RHP Mike Gipson (8-1, 3.40 ERA)

Inside the Owls' Dugout

After a 5 year hiatus, the Owls return to post-season for their 8th trip to a NCAA regional.

FAU 11-16 (.407) in Regional play, with their last post-season appearance back in 2005.

The Owls rode the hot bat of Raymond Church (.326) in last weekends Sun-Belt tournament, where Church went 11-for-21 with four home runs, 13 RBI while scoring 10 runs during the four-game span.

Church broke a Sun-Belt Tournament single game record and tied the FAU all-time record of nine RBI during Friday's loss to FIU where he went 4-for-6 with 2 home runs on the night.

Andy Mee leads the team in batting average (.388) with95 hits. He also has 53 RBI, 16 doubles & 8 home runs. Mee holds a (2.96 ERA) with 11 saves and 22 strikeouts.

Dan Scheffler (.367) leads the team with 63 RBI, and 14 home runs.

The Owls' pitching staff holds a 5.28 ERA and has held opponents to a .289 batting average.

FAU is hitting .308 as a team, with 69 home runs collectively.

Turning the page, the Owls will look to put May behind them, where they went 8-7.

The Owls hold a 17-6 (.654) advantage during day games and are 14-12 (.538) as road warriors.

Quotes of the Day

"It was disappointing the way things ended in the Sun-Belt Tournament, in a different setting we probably could have used different pitching, but we knew we were playing this weekend [Regional] and we didn't want to jeopardize anybody's health going forward"

"I thought we where in good shape and when it came to the 3rd & 4th game we knew we were in Regional, we could have done what some other teams might have done and brought back Ryan Garton and Mike Gipson to pitch, but it wasn't worth it to us. Those guys needed to be ready and fully rested for this weekend, so the conference tournament after the first two games kind of took a different [turn] in what we were trying to accomplish.  We surely wanted to win it, but did not what to jeopardize anything going forward."

-Coach McCormack on the pitching rotation

"Obviously, we are excited for the chance to extend our season, this team fought hard to overcome a rough patch midway through the season. They deserve this opportunity."

-Coach McCormack on returning to post season play

"I think we would have gone to Tokyo to play in a regional, there's no question that our guys will be ready to go."

"It's going to be a situation where we've just got to go do the things that we do in baseball and not worry about any other elements. We talk about that all the time, regardless of where we're going."

-Beavers Coach Pat Casey on returning to post season play

"I was looking down, biting my nails, and all of a sudden everybody started screamin', we've got a chance to do something special, and I think we have the team and the chemistry to get it done."

-Beavers starting pitcher Greg Peavey

Back to the top

Re: Gainesville Regional Discussion Thread

FAU Delt is up in Gainesville and will be providing some live coverage for the 'Nest. 
Back to the top

What's everyones thoughts on the game today?

Going with FAU 5 - OSU 3

Back to the top

It depends on which bullpen shows up. Gipson will have a solid outing IMO but if this is the same pen that consistently blew leads vs. FIU it'll be a long day.

If this is the same pen that led the conference in saves and helped us win our first regular season belt championship then I think we have a chance

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

OSU is not the greatest hitting team...so that plays into our favor...but I wonder if it would have been better going with Garton considering this and saving Gip for a likely match-up with UF tommorow given a win.
Back to the top

By throwing Gip today they can bring him back on short rest on Monday if they need to

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Rick said

OSU is not the greatest hitting team…so that plays into our favor…but I wonder if it would have been better going with Garton considering this and saving Gip for a likely match-up with UF tommorow given a win.

Could have been a better move. Say we lose today, then we could pitch Alexander or Alvarez against Bethune (most likely) tommorrow, and then save Gip for an elimination game Sunday.

But I think we need to go for the win.
Back to the top

I agree, go with Gipson…winning the first game is important…No guarantees in baseball, might never have the chance to play Florida…Go for the win.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

Y :Tv[quote author=Jab979 link=topic=10006.msg91570#msg91570 date=1275666715]
By throwing Gip today they can bring him back on short rest on Monday if they need to

It that could very well make a difference later on.  Win the 1st one & go from there.
Back to the top

Live Here at McKethan Stadium.

Grounds crews are out watering and painting the field right now, as both teams have wrapped up warm-ups.

Looks to be a great day for baseball, blue skies and sunshine here in Gainesville.

Here is FAU’s lineup for today:

1.Raymond Church  2B
2.Mike Albaladejo  C
3.Andy Mee  RF
4.Dan Scheffler  1B
5.Eddie Cassidy  DH
6.Nick Delguidice  SS
7.Colby Gratton  LF
8.Sean Bukovich  3B
9.Anthony Mesa  CF
Back to the top
Control functions: