Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2019 C-USA Baseball Championship Thread

Add topic

Coach Mac just couldn't say enough about Ruff's outing, and he certainly earned every compliment. So great to see a guy like Ruff get a big win like this.

Back to the top

The starting pitchers have done exactly what needs to be done in a tournament like this. Ruff was great last night. Day off today. Obvious  the two top teams are the two we all knew about.
Back to the top

Mike Ruff turned in one of the best performances of his career, allowing just a run on three hits as the top-seeded Owls earned a day of rest as the lone unbeaten on their side of bracket at The First 2019 C-USA Baseball Championship presented by Air Force Reserve at MGM Park.

Ruff (6-4), a senior who was making his 40th career appearance, walked three and tied a season-high with 11 strikeouts over 7 1/3 innings.

Florida Atlantic (39-18), the regular-season C-USA champions, will need to win just once on Saturday to reach Sunday’s 1 p.m. championship game.

Fourth-seeded Western Kentucky (26-28-1) slid into the elimination bracket, and will meet fifth-seeded UTSA (27-29) at 7:30 p.m. Friday in a rematch of Wednesday’s opening round.

FAU scored twice in the first inning off WKU starter Joe Filosa (1-2). The first run crossed on Joe Montes’ RBI grounder and the second came when Wilfredo Alvarez hit his first home run of the season.

Mitchell Hartigan’s RBI double made it 3-0 in the third inning before the Hilltoppers scored their lone run in the bottom of the inning on a sacrifice fly by Ray Zuberer III.

The Owls scored an unearned run in the fifth inning, then tacked on the final run in the seventh inning on a hit batsman followed by three walks.

Hartigan led FAU with two doubles and a single and Pedro Pages had a double and two singles. Bobby Morgenson finished with a double and single and Alvarez added a single to go with his home run.

FAU finished with 13 hits and coaxed 10 walks from the Hilltoppers, but stranded 18 runners.
Back to the top

I hope the wku/ utsa game goes 18 innings and lasts till 2 am.  No reason. Just hoping .
Back to the top

FINAL:

Rice 6  Marshall 3

The Thundering Herd exit stage left.

On a side note:

Four+ hour games are becoming a thing here…they REALLY need to do something about that…It's totally disruptive to the other teams waiting to play.

Very big advocate of a pitch clock and substitute pitcher count or insertion policy change as well. It's ridiculous when you realize that football players have SECONDS to transfer into the game. Basketball often the same.

Not many guys do it, but "hurry-up" pitching doesn't allow the batter the "silent duel" either. This is why football teams do it between offensive plays and basketball teams play run and gun on offense.

The NCAA needs to understand that these playing habits really kill the game from a fan perspective. Most people don't want to sit through 4:30 of a college baseball game.

I get the fact that a pitchers need some warm ups at the mound but how about when you change pitchers MULTIPLE times in a single inning you forfeit them altogether. It's only fair to the opposing team as well.

The MLB is contemplating rules changes that would keep games below THREE hours due to ticket sales slumping. Of course it's regarding out counts, but still. They see the problem of long games.

Rant over.

Back to the top

Right there with you rick. During the regular season, it seems 315 to 330 seem nornal. But every year, these tournaments have become absolutely rediculous. This has been going on and complained  about for the past few years.  I'm with you in saying it is time to look into   ways to speed the game up. I love seeing families at the games. But it is tough  to keep a kid interested  for that long. Heck, I can barely do it sometimes. It is time
Back to the top

Fau/utsa. We need another good day on the mound. As they just proved , the road runners can score . The top of their order can hit. I'm hoping our fresh arms can limit them.
Back to the top

During  the regular season,  utsa pitcher Faust totally handled our hitters. Good to know Faust pitched thursday against odu. And he threw 7 plus innings. Should not see him today.
Back to the top

So miss is getting what they need from their starter.  A no hitter thru five. The good news for us is that their top arm , Gabe Shepard,  is throwing today. This tournament is all about pitching.
Back to the top

What:      (1) Florida Atlantic vs. (8) UTSA

When:     Saturday, May 25th at 1:30 PM

Where:    Biloxi, MS | MGM Park

Stream:   ESPN+

Stats:      Here

Projected Pitchers:

FAU -  RHP Jacob Josey (1-0, 3.29 ERA)
UTSA - TBA

**NOTES**

Jacob Josey gets the start today, who got his sole win this season against UTSA. He went 7 innings and struck out 4 batters the last time he faced the Roadrunners, giving up just 4 hits and 1 run. Despite a difficult outing for Josey last Saturday, I feel confident in this start today. He seems to know how to work around the UTSA guys pretty well.
Back to the top
Control functions: