Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Opening Weekend Series Thread: GWU vs FAU Feb 16-18, 2018

Add topic

Local Owl said

Bottom third of the line up has been getting better looks at the plate than the top third. I don't have the numbers but too many strike outs  at the top. Not even good strike outs. Swinging at pitches out of the zone. Pedro Pages is really hitting the ball hard. Just not getting very lucky. But we have a long way to go.
Posted On: Feb 17th 2018, 8:33 PM #377247

Today, top 3rd had 2 Ks and 4 hits, middle 3rd had 2 K, 3 H, bottom 3rd 1K and 3 H. I think what may be skewing the perception is BB and HBP.  Top 2 BB, middle 2 BB 1 HBP, bottom 4 BB.
Back to the top

I know that sometimes the opinion during the game can change once the numbers can be studied. I think what has me jumping to a premature opinion is having unusually high expectations for Tyler Frank. After re reading my post , I think it was based more on him. I don't like pointing out particular players during one game because baseball is a game that must be won and lost be everyone playing. Tyler reminds me of CJ  before he stopped swinging of balls out of the zone. But this is baseball. It could all change today.
Back to the top

FAU came from behind in the 9th inning to complete the series sweep on Sunday.

George Washington struck with their first score in the first inning courtesy of a solo homer, and later added a second in the fourth.

Florida Atlantic (2-1) threatened in the 6th with runners on the base path but could not convert them into scores. However, Kevin Abraham came through the next turn plating Cody Wilson on a sacrifice fly.

They once again had a pair on for the go ahead and game winner in the bottom of the ninth.

Gunnar Lambert was tapped to pinch hit for Abraham, and faced the fourth George Washington pitcher of the day.

With a wild pitch being issued the Owls were 90 feet from the tie. Ultimately, Lambert would pop up behind home plate and FAU was down to their last out.

With the game on the line Diamond Johnson singled into right field and the ball went through the legs of the GWU defender, allowing for the winning run to cross the plate uncontested.

Joe Montes, Tyler Frank, Eric Rivera, and Andru Somerall also posted hits for the afternoon.

Michael Coletti fared moderately well in his first start as on Owl, giving up two runs on eight hits with three strikeouts.

Drew Peden finished out on the hill, tossing the final three frames allowing just one hit with four strikeouts.

The Owls will face Florida on Tuesday night at 6:00 PM in Gainesville.
Back to the top

FAU Baseball. Wow !
Back to the top

3-0 record and three wins are nice, but Coach M would probably agree - underwhelming performance by the bats this weekend.

Get to work in the cages, make better pitch selections and start driving that ball Owls. Congrats but KEEP WORKING!!!!
Back to the top

I agree with pitch selection. And absolutely underwhelming. Exciting yes. But this was GW. We should have put up  at least 20 runs this week end. As for the Lady Owls. There are quite a few people that migrate between the two ball fields and they , as we all are, proud of their showing at these tournaments. With one great pitcher short, Coach J still has the girls playing tough.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I agree with pitch selection. And absolutely underwhelming. Exciting yes. But this was GW. We should have put up  at least 20 runs this week end. As for the Lady Owls. There are quite a few people that migrate between the two ball fields and they , as we all are, proud of their showing at these tournaments. With one great pitcher short, Coach J still has the girls playing tough.
Posted On: Feb 18th 2018, 4:38 PM #377258

The ladies HAVE scored in every game - more than FSU can say! Kylee is 5-0 with a 0.55 ERA so far for the Noles! Good for her but WE MISS YA GIRL!!!!  :Thinking:
Back to the top

A few of the pitching stats:

ERA: 1.00
WHIP: 0.78
BAA: .186 (.103 excluding IF hits)
Pitches per 9 innings: 118.67
Percent Strikes: 69.9%
Batters faced per 9 IP: 33.67
K/BB: 7.33
Percent of batters reaching 2-ball count: 23.8%
Back to the top

OMG ...A guy that likes stats as much as me. Those numbers will win a lot of games. Thanks for all you do for the fans MLB
Back to the top

Rick said

FAU came from behind in the 9th inning to complete the series sweep on Sunday.
Posted On: Feb 18th 2018, 2:47 PM #377252

How do you come from behind on a 3  - 0 win?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: