Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Membership Discussion

GeorgiaOwl said

FIU beats us in football stadium? Or in new athletic center??
Posted On: Jun 23rd 2019, 4:32 PM #386918

Neither, but they have spent money say on a baseball complex where we have not. but its not just athletics that conferences look at its academics.
Back to the top

You can say theoretically FIU is in a better market. I don't necessarily agree. FIU is Miami's 2nd team. They are certainly in their shadow at the moment. FAU has a large area which we're the only team from a few hours north and west of FAU and south. Palm Beach County is a huge area with a lot of money. We could be Palm Beach County's team. I think we're becoming it. I see a lot of FAU license plates these days, and not just in Boca. If you go to campus, the atmosphere is amazing. There's a huge buzz around campus that we're quickly becoming a serious college. I think the weather, rich people, huge area where we're the only football team several hours north and west and in southern Palm Beach county and North Broward. Miami is a joke now. I can't fathom how anyone would rather be down there, especially the Universidad's ridiculously horrible location. And I've noticed there's people saying we're a bad draw, and wouldn't bring ratings. I have no clue where that's coming from. I think a chain of events could happen, (perhaps an upset), where our football team becomes a huge draw, especially with Kiffin here. We could market us to the AAC with Kiffin as a strong selling point. I have no idea why some think Georgia State or App. State would be more marketable than us. We're literally one good football season away from everyone talking about us moving to the AAC. I also disagree that there’s going to be this huge push by UCF and USF to keep us out. It’s more about what we have to offer. I think I read we’re in the top 5 or 10 most diverse student populations. It’s things like that that are more important than someone feeling threatened. I’m sure UCF and USF aren’t going bankrupt if we go to the AAC. We have too many things going for us, it’s like an unstoppable freight train. I think us being in the AAC would make the conference a lot more popular. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

You can say theoretically FIU is in a better market. I don't necessarily agree. FIU is Miami's 2nd team. They are certainly in their shadow at the moment. FAU has a large area which we're the only team from a few hours north and west of FAU and south. Palm Beach County is a huge area with a lot of money. We could be Palm Beach County's team. I think we're becoming it. I see a lot of FAU license plates these days, and not just in Boca. If you go to campus, the atmosphere is amazing. There's a huge buzz around campus that we're quickly becoming a serious college. I think the weather, rich people, huge area where we're the only football team several hours north and west and in southern Palm Beach county and North Broward. Miami is a joke now. I can't fathom how anyone would rather be down there, especially the Universidad's ridiculously horrible location. And I've noticed there's people saying we're a bad draw, and wouldn't bring ratings. I have no clue where that's coming from. I think a chain of events could happen, (perhaps an upset), where our football team becomes a huge draw, especially with Kiffin here. We could market us to the AAC with Kiffin as a strong selling point. I have no idea why some think Georgia State or App. State would be more marketable than us. We're literally one good football season away from everyone talking about us moving to the AAC. I also disagree that there’s going to be this huge push by UCF and USF to keep us out. It’s more about what we have to offer. I think I read we’re in the top 5 or 10 most diverse student populations. It’s things like that that are more important than someone feeling threatened. I’m sure UCF and USF aren’t going bankrupt if we go to the AAC. We have too many things going for us, it’s like an unstoppable freight train. I think us being in the AAC would make the conference a lot more popular. 
Posted On: Jun 23rd 2019, 7:27 PM #386921

Everything you are saying goes against on why conferences have alined before. Nothing you say is based on any history of fact. Conferences do not make decisions based on who the coach is or a good season. None of those things are permanent. If conferences made decisions on a couple of good seasons NIU would be on the BIG 10 after having a Heisman finalist and going to the Orange Bowl. FAU is growing, but the numbers are not even close to where they need to be. ODU fans donate 5x times we do on smaller donor level for example.

I said GSU because they have 45,000 students in metro Atlanta who is building new facilities and dorms nonstop and that is very appealing.

As for UCF and USF again, they do not care about our diverse population or if we go 14-0 this season. They do not want to elevate us as we compete for recruits, students, and market share.   

It's the same reason Texas and Texas Tech told Houston to get lost when they wanted to be in the Big 12 4 years ago.

If you own a restaurant and have some advantage over your competitor, do you give them that advantage because you think it's good for the neighborhood?

When the SEC was adding two teams they considered adding FSU over Missouri and UF would not even let it get to be voted on. FSU has way more to offer history and facility wise, but the SEC wanted to expand into other places.  

How does FAU make the AAC more popular over schools like Houston, UCF or Cincy? I love FAU, but we have a long way to go before we are close to those schools.
Back to the top

Maybe they should try pulling from the other end and grab Louisville? No harm in their trying.
Back to the top

It just will take time. I a couple years ago thought hey maybe in 10-20 years we could be a P5 team. Now maybe that was a little naïve. This time last year we were the hottest non P5 team (maybe besides UCF) as far as publicity. We're certainly one of the most attractive G5 schools not in the AAC. I just don't think it's as hard to get into a conference like the AAC as it is P5. Realistically, we need to get more dorms built and do the whole nightlife district thing (not my thing, but no college can be successful without all the drunks). A new basketball and baseball field, and that would make FAU as attractive as any non P5 school. And you can't underestimate the weather and FAU's close proximity to huge party destinations. In my opinion, FAU has the best weather in the country. It will take time. But I certainly believe if the football program continues its upward trajectory, the AAC will be a huge topic of conversation. Personally, I'm not all or nothing with the AAC, CUSA has what I believe are sleeping giants in ODU and Charlotte. Can we get into the AAC without all of those projects being built, I don't know. I don't think its going to be that impossible to move up. I think the big problem is moving up to the P5. That's what seems impossible with the schools not wanting to share money. But I just think it's different with a G5 conference like the AAC. The question is, can we make it there before the projects are hopefully completed. I don't know.  
Back to the top

Big East has voted to offer UCONN membership in all sports except football;

AP source: Big East votes to invite UConn to rejoin

More than a rumor now, time to step up and take a shot Dr. Kelly and Mr. White - time to do your jobs and sell FAU to the AAC. Oh, and Mr. White - talk to your brother too, the UCF AD, might help a tad!

This would be SO HUGE for FAU! I know guys, a real longshot - or is it???
Back to the top

A bunch of pundits (not that it matters) actually think we have a shot. 

Feasible that AAC does nothing and just lets all the potential suitors enter an arms race then decide in a few years who to invite. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

There’s a big article this morning about who’s going to replace UConn. There was a section about if they pick a CUSA team, which one it would be and were listed along with the usual suspects, universidad Charlotte odu and uab. They talked about How much these schools have grown. And it made me realize, even if we don’t get into the AAC, there’s a lot of potential for CUSA to grow. Still I want us in. It’d amazing that we’re being talked about it
Back to the top

THIS is what sets AAC apart from CUSA;

AAC And ESPN Agree to Lucrative Contract Deal

That and the fact the opponents we would face would boost home attendance also helping revenue. Recruiting would go up even further (it would have to!) as well. I see not one thing negative in the AAC as opposed to what we have now.

Heck, it might even FORCE FAU to upgrade certain facilities! :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

BIG bit of a bump in the road for the AAC;

Report: ESPN has right to redo AAC TV deal if UConn leaves

Some were recently saying they could stay at 11 members and split the pie into bigger slices - guess ESPN does not like that idea at all! I would love to see them add 3 teams and push the AAC to 14 teams with FAU of course being one of the new additions. For ESPN, a media company by the way, media market size does matter in selling ads and I would think market size would put us in the running at least! They could add 3 major media market areas to solidify the contract and give some insurance for when schools do get poached at some point.

Just my 2 cents!
Back to the top
Control functions: