Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Desired Bowl Game Scenario

In a way I would feel bad for App St if they get matched with us. They have had a hell of a year and they deserve a chance against a P5 opponent if they are 12-1. 

Playing Tennessee would be amazing but like I mentioned we haven’t exactly flourished in the spotlight. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

It ESPN wants a made for tv event which all these games are for. Just find a place for FAU vs Tennessee
Posted On: Nov 26th 2019, 9:51 AM #391150

The Independence has tie-ins with the ACC and SEC.  That is the game most likely to see somebody like FSU or Tennessee.  The only ranked teams that might show up in bowls we have a chance in are Cincy (or whoever the second place team is from the AAC) or App State unless these things are way off base.  If Cincy comes to Boca that will be a decent match-up for somebody on ABC/national audience on a Saturday. 
Back to the top

App st. would be a hard game, they beat 2 power 5 teams and really are making a statement.  A win helps us, but a loss in say the New Orleans bowl may not be as appealing and would really hurt us.  Metrics wise I think we can compete, and the only time we shine on tv is during bowl season.  I think we will have to decide what makes the most sense.  Beating a ranked Group of 5 team (App st., Cincy, SMU or SDSU) or play a lowly tiered Power 5 team like (UNC, Mizzou, Michigan St.,Illini, TCU). Beating a ranked team means more and I saw once again on the USA Today 1-130 we are 47th currently.

In order to get ranked we need to blow out Southern Miss., win the CUSA, hope other teams in front of us lose and dominate our bowl game against a great opponent in a respectable Bowl.  This year can become better than 2017, if Bryant can somehow win the Mackey award as well as become an All-American, Kiffin wins CUSA coach of the year and we can get ranked this year we would be better than 2017 by a landslide because of the accomplishments.  I would love to play UNC or TCU, and Cincy in the Gasparilla bowl.  If we play  FSU and lost it would hurt us as well, the money for the bowl is one thing but what people remember is if you won or not.  
Back to the top

Keep seeing FAU vs Ohio in the Boca Bowl.... really? WTF!
Back to the top

SCowl said

Keep seeing FAU vs Ohio in the Boca Bowl…. really? WTF!
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 11:25 AM #391385

This projection is what I would think is most accurate as of today:

Gasparilla Bowl: Cincinnati vs. FAU

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

SCowl said

I thought that CUSA doesn't have a boca raton bowl tie in this year
Back to the top

TheREALowlsley said

SCowl said

I thought that CUSA doesn't have a boca raton bowl tie in this year
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2019, 12:36 PM #391389

2019 Boca Raton Bowl Moves to Saturday; ABC - FAU Owl's Nest

"The 2019 Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl will select its two participating teams from its three partner conferences:  Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference and the American Athletic Conference. The bowl week activities will include beach parties, pep rallies, a kickoff luncheon, community outreach and other activities throughout Boca Raton and Palm Beach County."

Back to the top

I would like to see any Power 5 team. Some nice options include Louisville (7-5), Wake Forest (8-4), Pitt (7-5), Iowa State (7-5), Indiana (8-4), Illinois (6-6), Cal (7-5), Arizona State (7-5), Tennessee (7-5), Kentucky (7-5), Missouri (6-6), Texas A&M (7-5), and Mississippi State (6-6). Other options are also out there and I am not sure how likely any of these are due to existing tie-ins. I also wouldn't mind getting FSU or Miami (both 6-6).

Lots of good options.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Id like to see FSU because we cant get them scheduled during the regular season for anything.
Back to the top

I think the Boca Bowl would prefer two out of town teams.  But FAU would prefer the Boca Bowl because of the lack of traveling fan support.  We shall see.
Back to the top
Control functions: