Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

fau are you ready to move up?

can howard take you to the promise land? no time soon folks.

no team affiliations. just high school and college ball fan.
Back to the top

With his success at Miami, Oklahoma, and Louisville…I think Howard will do just fine. I'm thinking we will be the youngest team to ever make a bowl game. When will be eligible for the New Orleans Bowl??
Back to the top

We will be eligible in two years for a bowl game.

Good question Isight. We will find out soon enough.
Who do you recommend that FAU be compared to as far as turnaround time?
Back to the top

First of all define promise land - He is accomplishing everything he set out to do and that was to bring this program to division 1-A status and did it faster then any other program. He took players that nobody wanted,
allowed walk-ons who had more heart then talent and somehow convince some d**n good players to come to a start-up team when there was nothing but trailers empty fields & lots of mosquitos - there was no Oxley center to impress recruits, just a Grand Old Owl with a great vision, Passion & a Big Dream to start a football program (oops, can't forget the shared passion of the few and proud founding members). With time and a short history - 3-year of playing football, this team was playoff bound and made some noise along the way and believes out of many. Yes, that's 3-years and we are Division 1-A bound - There is nothing to compare this to because nobody else has tried it.

I'm going to take a stab at what you are insinuating concerning the promise land. The Sun-Belt Conference with it being a weak conference, I am not even going to waste my time on this one, but to make this comments & here is a stab at all you 1-AA pukes out there ( & to think I was beginning to warm-up and appreciate them). You think that by playing one D-1A game a year and some of you making them competive and/or winning one, doesn't mean you can do it week in week out. Competing at that level on a weekly basis is a lot different. I'm willing to bet that most of you couldn't do it. Last of all, if you want respect from D-1A stop crying like a bunch of pansies.

In 2002 we played (3) D-1A team got clobbered in all of them, in 2003 we played (2) D-1A team, would have been (3) if Kentucky wouldn't have wuss-out, we beat one & almost upset another. Now does this mean we are ready for the big dance of D-1A, we will find out in 2004. I believe we will compete and suprise some people & I can already hear some of those D-1AA pukes already. The first two year showed this team the difference in the level of play between the two divisions, last year this team learned how to win & hopefully learned the hardest lesson of all & that is how to win gracefully.

And if you say you are a college fan as you say and if you possess any knowleged of the game then you would also know the level of ability & talent on this team. Then again you probably never seen this team play which wouldn't suprise me one bit.

So with your comment like "no time soon" - mission accomplished and if you truely where a fan of college football then you would have no problem supporting a team in your own back yard. Enough said.

Back to the top

wow, nice comeback there dude! coach?

promise land refers to bowl game and WINNING.
you graduate too much over the next year to get the there any time soon. decent players leaving. yes i've been to two games during the streak.

young pups must keep up the work. not going to happen as fast as you like.

is 5 years soon enough?

Back to the top

A coach,I wish and if I was, I don't think I would have time to post on this board, but I'll take that as a compliment.

We are in a (2) year transition period as we move to
D-1A, so no bowl games for 2-years or playoffs games in D-1AA.

Yes, we will graduate a bunch of seniors next year, but we have some depth and a great recruiting class this year. How much impact that will have on the team sucess, I don't think anybody can honestly answer that.
When building a team, you are always looking for the future because you just never know what can and will happen. One thing about college football things change quickly. Larger schools lose players early to the draft and they survive. This coaching staff has enough expirence with this type of situation to handle it just fine.

Things have already happen quicker then anybody expected. One thing these players have learned is that they have to keep working harder then the previous year. What do you consider winning, an 11-3 season we had last year? And if we go .500 this year, does that make it a bad season, I think not. This program needs time to establish itself. How long it takes 5-10 years who knows, but does it really matter.
I for one, love college football and choose to support my Alma Mater and it happens to be a local college team, regardless of wins or losses.

Back to the top

Insight. Bytor made my point to you. There are no other schools to compare FAU with! I was curious to see who's name you mentioned in your post.
I noticed that you never attempted to answer it though. ???

You caught two games during the streak huh? That makes you an expert on the players? Then you should know about the recruits from the past 2 years. No slouches in the group.

My guess is that you know some about the Fla schools and FAU happen to be the target this week. Keep your current stance on FAU and be suprised with the rest who refuses to give them their props. 8-)

You better not be from "the sky is falling-don't go-please stay and play with us in D1-AA", board.
Now that we're out of there UD, McNeese, Wofford, Montana can continue to run away with the division.

Keep an eye on recent DII move-up Northern Arizona. If (when) they make the playoff next year. They will burst the above mentioned team's bubbles.
Back to the top

Mh2os said:

With his success at Miami, Oklahoma, and Louisville…I think Howard will do just fine. I'm thinking we will be the youngest team to ever make a bowl game. When will be eligible for the New Orleans Bowl??

Whenever you can beat Sun Belt powers North Texas, Troy State, and Middle Tennessee all in the same season without slipping up against Louisiana-Monroe.

Those three listed Sun Belt teams are pretty strong. Even though it is the Sun Belt, it is still a far far cry tougher than the likes of Bethune Cookman, Southern, etc.
Back to the top

Mh2os said:

Whenever you can beat Sun Belt powers North Texas, Troy State, and Middle Tennessee all in the same season without slipping up against Louisiana-Monroe.

Those three listed Sun Belt teams are pretty strong. Even though it is the Sun Belt, it is still a far far cry tougher than the likes of Bethune Cookman, Southern, etc.

That is so true! These are good D1-A teams. I know most feel that some D1-AA teams can compete with some next level teams. Correct. But to do it consistantly day in and day out is one thing. On any given Saturday a D1-AA team can upset a good D1-A team. But can they do it consistantly? That's the arguement but I think not.

It's mostly about scholly counts. D1-A's second tier players, 25th thru 35th, are usually stronger than D1-AA players in the same numerical positions.
Back to the top

BlueRaider, That is the point I was trying to make without getting into details concerning the strenght of SBC & I believe O.G. Owl reconfirmed my point I was trying to get across as well.

They are some out there that want to compare us to established programs with years of history, with the like of Miami, Florida & Florida ST. (I'm using these schools because they are in state schools). My point is we have had some success, but we still have a lot of bridges to cross - one year of success is just that & next year is another story.

What we do have is a coaching staff that not only breath success, but exudes it without sacrificing early success for future success. What we have achieved so far, has caught everyone by surprise & that is credit to the players themselves, they bought into a system, which even the players will admit was extreme.

I will repeat what I said earlier, if we finish the season at .500 next year - that will be a successfull season, some may disagree, but you have to remember and it reiterates what I said earlier, we will be competing at a higher level, period. It's physically more demanding and the level of talent is also higher, etc… .

All I'm trying to do here is bring to light to some less then InSightFULL people, that this is a young program still in development - we are not trying to be anybody else but the FAU - Fighting Owls. We have a team to be proud of and hopefully all the ducks will fall into place at the right time.

All we can do is take it one year at a time and see what happens. All this early success just puts more pressure on the new recruits coming in to continue the current trend.
Back to the top
Control functions: