Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football Spring Preview: Tight Ends

Returning:
Nexon Dorvilus (301 yards, 5 TDs) - RS Senior
Alex Deleon (77 yards, 1 TD) - RS Junior
Anthony Russell - RS Freshman
Michael Harrop - Senior

Newcomers:
Darion Howard (transfer)- RS Senior

On the Way:
Dustin Bowens

-Stats are from last season.

Overview: Tight end has traditionally been a strength for Florida Atlantic, and that should continue next season. Redshirt senior Nexon Dorvilus (pictured above) returns as the team’s third leading receiver, having hauled in 30 passes for 301 yards. His five touchdowns were the highest of any player on the team and tied for the most by a tight end in the Sun Belt Conference last season. In the shadows of Dorvilus is redshirt junior Alex Deleon, who has quietly found his own niche in the office. Deleon started five games last season and had a career outing against Alabama catching four passes for 24 yards and a touchdown. With FAU often using multiple tight end sets, Dorvilus and Deleon will form a duo that brings experience and athletic ability to the offense. Terrell Mitchell, the squad’s third tight end from last season, will not participate in spring drills, but could return in the fall. His absence should open the door for another player to move up the depth chart, and that individual could either be Darion Howard or Anthony Russell. Howard transferred from Northern Iowa and impressed coaches last season on the scout team, while Russell took a redshirt. Walk-on Michael Harrop was honored for his efforts as the offensive scout team player of the year.

Player on the Spot: - Nexon Dorvilus - Dorvilus is in position to be one of the top tight ends in the conference next season, but that doesn't mean there isn’t room for improvement. If he wants to follow in the foot steps of former FAU players such as Rob Housler and Jason Harmon, Dorvilus needs to continue his production. A strong spring camp would be the first step in that direction.

Remember the Name: - Darion Howard - Howard is a player that many Owls fans probably aren’t familiar with. The redshirt senior joined FAU’s program last year after off-the-field issues at Northern Iowa. He practiced with the scout team, and faired well as a pass-catcher and blocker. With the need for a third tight end, Howard could very well be the answer.

Key Stat: - 6 - Dorvilus and Deleon combined for six touchdowns on nine receptions in the redzone last season. If you want to talk about efficiency near the goal line, FAU’s tight ends are nearly automatic.

Forecast: It wouldn’t be surprising if Dorvilus earned some preseason recognition, as he has all the tools to become one of the top tight ends in Conference-USA. He should mold into the second or third option in the passing game, while Deleon will continue his role as a situational plug. The focus this spring should revolve around finding reliable backups to the starters. Both Russell and Howard should get plenty of opportunities in practice to prove they can block and become vertical threats.

Up Next: Offensive Line
Back to the top

Re: FAU Football Spring Preview: Tight Ends

We have two big play type of players in Dorvilus and DeLeon. Both fit this type of offense very well with their ability to stretch the field , and create mismatches from the TE spot. This is one of the more talented groups on the team IMO. In last years camp they we're more like 1A & 1B so this year shouldn't be any different. Both have the talents and skills that translate well to the next level, both just need to polish up their route running and blocking. Both were honored at last years banquet and they show great leadership and character on and off the field. I can't wait to see these guys in action. I think Alex is the best all around player in this group he's gotten bigger, stronger, and faster every year since he's been on campus and has showed steady improvement on the field as well. He's the biggest mismatch at TE with his height, weight and speed as well as his jumping ability which is great for us in the redzone. The players all say he has the best work ethic and hands on the team. This guy has put on a lot of weight since last year. He knows how to read and dissect defenses and that comes from film study and knowing the playbook. I'm prepared to see DeLeon get more looks and touches from the QB

#FauOrDie
Back to the top

who are you?
Back to the top

I'm just a Guy who loves football. Why do you want to know who I am?

#FauOrDie
Back to the top

FAU Football Spring Preview: Tight Ends

just was an intense amount of info
Back to the top

Anthony Crissinger Hill was our best tight end. He should always be mentioned in the annals of FAU TE history.  ;)
Back to the top

I very resourceful.

#FauOrDie
Back to the top

DumpTruck said

just was an intense amount of info

Hahahahaha!

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I just follow the team very closely its like an obsession.

#FauOrDie
Back to the top

FAUOWLFAN11 said

I just follow the team very closely its like an obsession.

Yep, preaching to the choir.
Back to the top
Control functions: