Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fearless Prediction 2008

Fearless Prediction 2008

Here is a Blog from Whit Watson fron Sun Sports:

Look at #12:

Fearless Predictions '08
Got an e-mail today that claims that as of December 31st, Sun Sports and FSN Florida will have aired roughly 1,060 original productions in calendar year 2007. That includes game broadcasts for six professional franchises, two major college partners, high school championships, and over 150 original studio shows, plus whatever else I'm forgetting. And no, it only *seems* like I hosted all of them.

Anyway, about that time for the annual list of Fearless Predictions. I've done this a few times before on the blog, and sometimes I'm dead-on – in December of 2005, for example, I correctly predicted that Florida's only loss in 2006 would be on the road at Auburn. In November of last year, I picked the San Antonio Spurs to win the 2007 NBA Finals. Neither was exactly a stretch, but I get to brag on them nonetheless.

Of course, I whiff as often as I hit. In that same December 2005 entry, I predicted that the Miami Heat would get knocked out of the 2006 NBA Playoffs in the second round. Result: they won the whole enchilada. I also predicted that Sergio Garcia would win a major in '06 (wrong) and that UCF would make it a close game against the Gators when they met at the Swamp (final score: 41-0, Florida). Win some, lose some.

Not to be deterred, here's the list of Fearless Predictions for 2008. Don't bet the mortgage on any of these, but if they come true, remember where you heard it.

1. At some point in the next calendar year, Bill Parcells will become the head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

2. By the end of 2008, the Florida Marlins will either A. announce a definitive plan for a new stadium or B. announce a definitive plan to move out of South Florida.

3. The University of South Florida will win a Big East title in football, thus completing my "Big Five" theory.

4. The Tampa Bay Rays will not finish last in the American League East (I try this one every year. Call it wishful thinking).

5. The University of Miami's men's basketball team will receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. The Florida Gators will not – but they'll have a ton of players on the SEC's All-Freshman team.

6. Bobby Bowden will still be coaching the Florida State Seminoles in 2008, and Joe Paterno will still be coaching at Penn State.

7. Tim Tebow will not win a second Heisman Trophy. However, Percy Harvin might.

8. The Orlando Magic will approach 50 wins in the regular season, make the NBA Playoffs, and win their first-round series. The Miami Heat will stage a torrid second-half rally but finish just shy of the postseason. Eastern Conference champion: Boston. Western Conference champion: San Antonio. NBA champion: San Antonio, again.

9. The Florida Panthers will snap their six-year streak of missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs. In truth, this is one of the easiest predictions on the list. The NHL's Southeast Division is there for the taking. Heck, the Cats might even win the thing (the division, not the Cup – stay tuned).

10. Kevin Smith of UCF will lead the nation in rushing, again. He'll become a first-day NFL draft pick in 2009 and serve as a shining example of a player who returned for his senior season and made it count.

11. Florida International University will win more than one football game. That's as far as I'm prepared to go at this time.

12. Florida Atlantic University will repeat as Sun Belt Conference football champs, scoring at least one ridiculous upset along the way – I'm looking hard at the 2008 season opener at Michigan State.

13. Tiger Woods will win two majors in 2008. I'm leaning toward the Masters and the US Open, which is a "home game" for Woods at Torrey Pines in his native California. The British Open at Royal Birkdale is a toss-up – the last two British Open champions on that course were Mark O'Meara and Ian Baker-Finch. In keeping with the recent tradition of apostrophes and/or dashes in the surname, the 2008 British Open champ at Royal Birkdale will be Sean O'Hair, Nick O'Hern, or Per-Ulrik Johansson. The 2008 PGA Championship is at Bloomfield Hills in Michigan, so I'll give it to Florida resident and car freak Stuart Appleby or Miguel Angel Jimenez, whose nickname on Tour is "The Mechanic."

14. My handicap will never be as low as I think it should be.

15. I'm going to lose those final ten pounds, learn how to play a musical instrument, take up yoga, write the Great American Novel, become a better father and husband, and accomplish all those other New Year's resolutions that we make after one too many adult beverages. No, really, I mean it. Check back with me in 2008.

In the meantime, have a restful holiday.

Back to the top

Re: Fearless Prediction 2008

That sounds about right to me. While we are at it I will throw in my own fearless prediction for FAU.

FAU will finish with 9 or more wins in 2008.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Bytor said

12. Florida Atlantic University will repeat as Sun Belt Conference football champs, scoring at least one ridiculous upset along the way – I'm looking hard at the 2008 season opener at Michigan State.

That is a great thought, but while Whit is looking hard at the season opener at Michigan State, the rest of Owl Country will be in Texas.  ;)
Back to the top

fauowl said

Bytor said

That is a great thought, but while Whit is looking hard at the season opener at Michigan State, the rest of Owl Country will be in Texas.  ;)

my thoughts exactly

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

not to nit-pick…but why is ours below FIU??

and why did they even make his list?! ???

nonethless, once agin, lets stay as low key as possible, and get er-dun…

on a side note:

didnt even mention the canes football program…….
Back to the top
Control functions: