Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Hype =/= Performance?

A friend stumped me on this the other day so I thought I'd ask you guys.

How many players have come into FAU highly-regarded (3 stars, MVP of national high school invitational, etc) and actually become one of our standout players?

I'm thinking about how Rusty and Alfred were not recruiting darlings coming into FAU. Not sure about Rob Housler or Lestar Jean but don't think they were either.

At the same time, I'm thinking about guys like Xavier Stinson, Amos Wood, Stephen Curtis… all seemed to be a big deal and kinda fizzled when they were here.
Back to the top

Re: Hype =/= Performance?

Here are the guys from the 2012 signing class who were ranked by one service or another as a 3-star prospect:

DT Trevon Coley - started as a true freshman from the opener.
DB Crevon Le'Blanc - started as a freshman in the nickel once he was cleared to play.
LB Adarius Glanton - started in the middle of the defense and returns as the team's leading tackler.
DT Shalom Ogbonda - redshirted, but should be key part of the rotation in 13'.
DB Adrian Burton - redshirted due to injury.
TE Terrell Mitchell - derailed by injuries, left team.
QB Melvin German - academic issues, but could still leave a mark if cleared.
DB Tony Grimes - never arrived on campus after getting arrested in Arizona, started at Hawaii.
Back to the top

Andrew said

Here are the guys from the 2012 signing class who were ranked by one service or another as a 3-star prospect:

DT Trevon Coley - started as a true freshman from the opener.
DB Crevon Le'Blanc - started as a freshman in the nickel once he was cleared to play.
LB Adarius Glanton - started in the middle of the defense and returns as the team's leading tackler.
DT Shalom Ogbonda - redshirted, but should be key part of the rotation in 13'.
TE Terrell Mitchell - derailed by injuries, left team.
QB Melvin German - academic issues, but could still leave a mark if cleared.
DB Tony Grimes - never arrived on campus after getting arrested in Arizona, started at Hawaii.

Burton is likely going to transfer…
Back to the top

Thanks Andrew!

Rick said

Andrew said

Why's that?
Back to the top

Hype =/= Performance?

Rick said

No more Owl Mom?  :'(

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I'm thinking one of the first big splash gets for us was Avery Holley…Broward County 6A athlete of the year, undersized, wanted to play two sports, FAU was the only one to let him…injury plagued life at FAU, never did anything. I still remember him blowing a knee in the first (or second) play of the season running a fly route down the sidelines, no one ever touched him, he played a total of 6 seconds that season.
Back to the top

So from what I've seen so far the answer is none.  Based on no research at all, I'm going to say that we didn't get highly touted recruits (2/3star+) until 2011/2012, and none of those guys have really played yet.  We've always been that "diamond in the rough" team (mostly due to Coach's recruiting style) so we really haven't taken shots at those guys till Pelini got here, and as of now nothing significant has really happened with them.  On the other hand, we have taken guys that no one thought about and made them into great players, as doc mentioned.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

So from what I've seen so far the answer is none.  Based on no research at all, I'm going to say that we didn't get highly touted recruits (2/3star+) until 2011/2012, and none of those guys have really played yet.  We've always been that "diamond in the rough" team (mostly due to Coach's recruiting style) so we really haven't taken shots at those guys till Pelini got here, and as of now nothing significant has really happened with them.  On the other hand, we have taken guys that no one thought about and made them into great players, as doc mentioned.

Hahahaha
Back to the top

I would say this season will answer your question...
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Rick said

No more Owl Mom?  :'(

Awww man, I had high hopes for Burton
Back to the top
Control functions: