Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If we keep winning, will we lose Kiffin?

Hoot_N_Holler said

Just announced - UCLA has fired Jim Mora.

Kiffin returning to California rumors beginning in 3…2…1…
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 2:27 PM #373623

I'm just going to leave this here.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

It'd be hard for me to be away from my kids - can't ask another man to do it.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

why don't we leave it up to Kiffin to stay or not stay and where he will go?
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 1:56 PM #373616

what the hell else are we supposed to talk about? That is LITERALLY the purpose of this message board.

UCLA checks a lot of the boxes for Kiff, aveng himself against USC, close to his kids, big money and exposure. Hopefully they’re gun shy about the ever tweeting TD signaling mad man. 

I was saying last night, we are a really good spot for him in many ways, mainly bc we aren’t that stuck up. Lane pulling the train horn on the sidelines was awesome, he’d be shredded for that if we played on ABC. Selfies on the field with students…gets harder to be yourself the higher you go.
Back to the top

teambeer said

illinoisowl said

what the hell else are we supposed to talk about? That is LITERALLY the purpose of this message board.

UCLA checks a lot of the boxes for Kiff, aveng himself against USC, close to his kids, big money and exposure. Hopefully they’re gun shy about the ever tweeting TD signaling mad man. 

I was saying last night, we are a really good spot for him in many ways, mainly bc we aren’t that stuck up. Lane pulling the train horn on the sidelines was awesome, he’d be shredded for that if we played on ABC. Selfies on the field with students…gets harder to be yourself the higher you go.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 2:37 PM #373627

ALL. OF. THIS!

I think we get a year or two more and then Lane has a lot of thinking to do about lifestyle, quality of life, etc. 

His personality is what it is and that's tough to change or even restrain as a human being, especially as one gets older. Here, we really have no choice to deal with it; and I think it's great. 

But, he's a competitor in a high profile, high stress kind of job. I think his career arc at FAU will match President Kelly's. 
Back to the top

sigep77 said

teambeer said

illinoisowl said

Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 2:37 PM #373627

ALL. OF. THIS!

I think we get a year or two more and then Lane has a lot of thinking to do about lifestyle, quality of life, etc. 

His personality is what it is and that's tough to change or even restrain as a human being, especially as one gets older. Here, we really have no choice to deal with it; and I think it's great. 

But, he's a competitor in a high profile, high stress kind of job. I think his career arc at FAU will match President Kelly's. 
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 3:54 PM #373635

UCLA is easily the best fit of all the coaching vacancies. 

I do think there’s a lot to be said for being the coach of a school that loves your personality. He never had Lane Train t-shirt giveaways at UT or USC, and Bama was ready for him to move on. Here he’s got a comfortable salary, and a fan base that’s becoming obsessed with him. Hard to leave that behind. 
Back to the top

It seems like the entire conference is praying he leaves after this year. I believe they will be very disappointed.
Back to the top

Mora was reportedly earning 3.5M at UCLA.

Unfortunately, I could see Kiffin leaving for that and to be closer to his kids.

That's if they want him.
Back to the top

He needs continuous winning seasons to say walk away to something great.  To be honest his name will always come up it’s great for sports buzz marketing. The great jobs from blue blood programs has past for Kiffin. He will going forward be a lower tier Power 5 or G5 coach. He tarnished trust and once that is gone Its gone forever especially with some programs.  My number is 4 that he stays anything past that means he stays longer and likes the gig.  He needs bowl wins, a New Years six bowl win and getting ranked.  We can keep him,  he needs to believe that we are like other successful power 5 programs and care to succeed in football.  Once the Schmidt complex is up this may be the beacon he needs to go the next level to win recruits.
See if he can get the 5 star guys and win a lot why go to say Ole Miss where you are always the stepchild. The fans have embraced him here even after knowing his past,  we both needed each other.  He’s holding up his end of the deal but administration needs to step up.  Part of the perception of a Power 5 is pay. If we can offer the million fine,  but add a lucrative bonus structure that can be met for him to make more. We are unique and overall we can keep him,  but he has to know that he has full control and that we have his back.  He can go to UCLA today and he will never have full control, once they lose a few years to SC he will be right back at square one.  He stays to build himself and look he’s getting the attention that he desires here.   If he leaves after year 2,  he’s going to be out of a job again, that’s how this business works. 
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

Mora was reportedly earning 3.5M at UCLA.

Unfortunately, I could see Kiffin leaving for that and to be closer to his kids.

That's if they want him.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 5:10 PM #373640

I Agree. This is the first opening that actually seems like a viable landing spot for Kiffin. Program with a high ceiling that also might consider Kiffin right now
Back to the top

Kiffin said he wants to build something. Kiffin seems very smart. I think he knows having two winning seasons at FAU and leaving is different than doing the same at a P5 program. There will be no drop off with the P5 program. They will recruit another P5 caliber coach and recruit 4 and 5 star athletes. 
I’m sure he knows if he is going to establish something at FAU it will take a little more time. I’m sure he will move on at some point. 
That’s the way I see it. 

What ever he intends to do I think it has already been discussed with Kelly and Chun. They were fully aware of the risk of a short stay when they hired him so I’m sure it’s one of the first things they talked about. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: