Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Lane Kiffin Fined $5,000 by C-USA for "Public Criticism of Officiating"

FAU Head Coach Lane Kiffin has been formally reprimanded and fined $5,000 by C-USA for violating the conference's "sportsmanship policy" after posting a meme about blind referees.

In reply, Kiffin gave his two-cents during today's teleconference call with media.

"Obviously I was not happy with the refs. I sent what I thought was a funny tweet, but I guess they (C-USA) didn't think it was as funny as I did. I guess there's no freedom to tweet."

The tweet was a picture of blind referees with walking sticks and Seeing Eye Dogs on a football field, with the official C-USA Twitter account tagged.

Below is the image which was attached to the tweet, along side the Conference's twitter handle.

Kiffin would later go on to say that C-USA agreed with him that the officiating form Friday's contest featuring FAU and Marshall, which the Owls lost, "wasn't on point." The term the conference used was inaccuracies.

"What does that do for us? Nothing", Kiffin said. "But they said they'll deal with it in internally."

C-USA Commissioner Judy MacLeod is quoted in the press release from the conference in saying "Conference USA has specific rules and standards regarding sportsmanship which have been adopted by our (member schools). We have an obligation to enforce our rules, including the prohibition of public criticism of officiating."

Conference USA stated that they will have no further comment on the incident through the written release.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I have a thousand thoughts on this. The first nine hundred and ninety-seven regard (in a non-political fashion) the President's twitter account. The third-to-last is political in nature, so, forget it (this is a college football site, get your heads out of the gutter).

Second-to-last, I would contribute to the Go Fund Me…

But. This site, the one we use to communicate with each other, isn't fully funded. I've donated (what little I can) and I know most of you have as well. I'm going to yada-yada-yada to the point…

I donated here (and would for Kiffin, an eff'n millionaire), because I know exactly what I'm paying for… I would rather FAU request specific donations for specific projects (this is for the new 20th street; this is for baseball stadium restrooms; and so on). It's why they give the two-cents-a-day kid in Ethiopia a name… I don't know.
Back to the top

*I should clarify that, I don't know whether or not Kiffin is a millionaire.
Back to the top

It was funny.  😂😎

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I guess C-USA does fine their coaches.  It is sad that Kiffin cannot express his frustrations without having further consequences, while people do it all the time on Twitter and other social media.
Back to the top

High quality memes and comments going around on Twitter right now.

Comedy gold!

(And free publicity).
Back to the top

Coach K is national news again from this real funny AND ACCURATE pic!

Lane Kiffin fined for joking about Conference USA officiating

Near UNANIMOUS support for the Coach!!!!!
Back to the top

We should start a go fund me to pay the fine for Kiffin.  
Back to the top

JBOwl said

Posted On: Oct 21st 2019, 5:16 PM #390104

We can't even raise $3K for this site's operating budget and to reward the guys who work for peanuts.

Let's start there first.
Back to the top

Rick said

JBOwl said

Posted On: Oct 21st 2019, 5:16 PM #390104

We can't even raise $3K for this site's operating budget and to reward the guys who work for peanuts.

Let's start there first.
Posted On: Oct 21st 2019, 5:24 PM #390105

Yea, I like Lane but I'm not donating $ to a dude who makes millions and lives in a mansion off the water mortgage free.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: