Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

PHOTOS: 2011 Preseason Scrimmage I - 08-12-11

PHOTOS: 2011 Preseason Scrimmage I - 08-12-11

Tough day for the offense, the D was pretty stout and caused problems against both the air attack and ground game. All in all five INT's and two fumbles recovered.

"Overall, I felt there was some very good effort on both sides of the ball', said Coach Van Valkenburgh, who was sitting in for Coach Schnellenberger who had hip surgery today.

"Obviously the offense turned the ball over a little but too much and didn't protect the ball as much as they needed to. You can't have turnovers like that."

Redshirt sophomore Randell Johnson picked off a Graham Wilbert pass on the first play of the drive following the Morris scamper.  The defense continued to make plays as redshirt sophomore defensive back Keith Reiser jumped in front of a Wilbert pass for another interception.

The defense added interceptions from Diondre Lewis and Toney Moore while Karl James recovered a fumble in the first half of action.
In the second half, the offense began to move the ball as Wilbert connected with Nexon Dorvilus in the back corner of the endzone.  Another scoring drive was capped off by an Avionne Rolle two-yard touchdown.

Special teams got in the mix during the scrimmage as freshman placekicker Marcel Bonani made a 36-yard field goal in the first drive of the period.  The score was set up by a deep pass from redshirt freshman quarterback Nick Bracewell to freshman wide receiver William Dukes along the sideline.

The QB's struggled with snaps again, and that played a part in some of the giveaways.

Below are some shots from the action…

Back to the top

Re: PHOTOS: 2011 Preseason Scrimmage I - 08-12-11

The main problem today was turnovers…there were some nice plays by the offense…only problem was they couldn't string something together afterwards.

Here's one of the nice plays…Travis Jones starts on his way to a 15 yard gain. He only ran it once, but that is a pretty nice average to finish with.

Back to the top

R-SO LB Toney Moore was doing a little running of his own after picking one off…

Back to the top

Starting WR DeAndre Richardson finished with a nice day, hauling in four catches for 45 yards…

Back to the top

A speedster in the secondary, Keith Reaser (C) pulled down the second INT of the contest for the defense…

Just so he was heading in the right direction, LB David Hinds (L), lends a "helping hand"…

Back to the top

Light crowd on hand today…which was understandable given the weather and delay…here's a few of those taking in the action…or tweeting…not sure ;D

Back to the top

TE Nexon Dorvilus pulled in two catches, but made the most of this one…it was good for the second score by the offense to the tune of 15 yards from Graham Wilbert…

Back to the top

Meanwhile, back on the ground, Damian Fortner is going to be a bright spot for the offense if they can just open the holes for him…he has some solid lateral moves, and can break away at times…

Back to the top

QB Stephen Curtis pays the price for a botched ball from center, as the defense quickly collapses on him…

Back to the top

Fellow R-FR QB Nick Bracewell had his share of tough balls as well..including this one, which accounted for three high snaps in the period of five balls under center…

Back to the top
Control functions: