Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UM to play FIU in 2006 and 2007

Check this out just found it in the sentinel congrats to FIU. FAU needs to sign at least one game in the next couple of years

MIAMI – Florida International and the University of Miami have struck a deal to play two football games inside the Orange Bowl over the next two years.

"From every measurable standard, these games will have a tremendous impact on our program," said FIU athletic director Rick Mello. "Recruiting, ticket sales, media exposure, alumni outreach, marketing, and above all, exposure in our own community will be significantly enhanced."
UM never discloses contractual details, but Miami athletic director Paul Dee said since both games will be played at the Orange Bowl, UM made a few concessions to guarantee FIU, a school that's located only 11 minutes away from the Hurricanes campus, a number of tickets to sell.

It doesn't hurt that travel cost for both games - which will be played on Oct. 14 in 2006, and Oct. 6 in 2007 - will be virtually non-existent, providing an additional savings for FIU and UM's athletic program.

"Now that we will play 12 games every year, we want to play seven home games if we can, and that increases our revenue and is good for our fans," Dee said.

The Hurricanes generally have difficulty filling its future schedules without the assistance of television networks - which recently helped UM strike a deal to play Oklahoma in 2007 and 2009 - but the NCAA's recent move approving the addition of a 12th game has made finding desirable opponents even more trying according to UM officials.

FIU, which also struck a deal to play the Gators in 2009, approached Miami about playing each other.

Outside of the Oklahoma series, UM has a tentative agreement to play Florida at Florida Field in 2008 and in Miami in 2013.

Miami also has added a 2006 season opener at home against Florida A&M and a road game against Pittsburgh on Sept. 11, 2010, that is part of the Big East-Atlantic Coast Conference settlement agreement to end a lawsuit over ACC expansion.
Back to the top

Unbelievable! That is excellent news for FIU regarding the quality of recruits they can garner from Florida and show off being right next door to UM! Hmmm…. let us hope that FAU would be so fortunate in the next few seasons to find such a GREAT local adversary as UM! If not, the future UF games will add a spotlight to our program in the state of Florida in 2007 and 2011 BUT these are somewhat far down the road if we want to develop FAST! Especially considering our competing F_U school is already bringing on such an A-game school as UM!

Definite congratulations do need to go out to those FIU directors involved in making this perfect scenario a reality! Outstanding! :)
Back to the top

Definitely a feather in FIU's cap! Wish we could have wrangled a game against UM.
Of course, I would be torn because UM has been my home team forever so maybe it's better that we play the Gators. They are much easier to root against. ;D
I actually don't want to play the Canes until we can be competitive.
Back to the top

UM rejected FAU a long time ago. Most notably even last year. Some people feel it's still some bad blood from Coach Howard's previous tenure.

Good job for FIU.
Back to the top

Im jelious...... UM probably feels it might be safer to play FIU than us. I still am suprised that UF agreed to play us in the future and not next year. By the time we play them hopefully we will have some experience and although our ranking will be low it wont reflect what we can throw at them, its a makeing for an upset that could cause a big blow to UF and catapult our program foward. I would have agreed to play us while we are still weak.
Back to the top

Jeremy Foley (UF) definitely gives FAU a shot at upsetting them by getting us on the future schedule.

I can also see Bobby Bowden(FSU) giving us a shot before UM even consider it. He publicly speaks very highly of coach Howard all the time.
Back to the top

I agree with O.G. Schnelly and Bowden will mix it up sooner than UM. I would love to see UM but keep it in State and spread it out I'll take the UF and FSU. FSU in 08 and 09 maybe an 06, 08. After all we do have an open spot on 06 for 12 games.
Back to the top

Yup UM is definitely scared of our potential and I do agree with bighooter also on the point that UF must not be thinking or watching FAU's history of upsets in that once we field a full roster for a few years like we will by the time we play them with that experience FAU's players tend to find ways to upset the major teams! Let's hope we can punch through the UF flagstaff and bring home a W against UF to show where we stand in this state! Maybe then FAU can start to be taken more seriously!!! **Crossing fingers** :)
Back to the top
Control functions: