Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What went wrong this year?

Agreed! Rat poison on not, the Coaches job to motivate and focus the players and team as a whole!
Back to the top

Like I said before, we can fill the stadium and have winning teams. No major conference will even talk to FAU while it is a Tier 2 university. FAU needs to improve graduation rates and several other important metrics. I think Dr Kelly is working to improve those things.
So there is no use even talking about improving athletic standings before FAU improves its Tier rank.
FIU is now a ranked university and is in Tier 1.  So if anyone moves up to a new conference it will be them before us.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Like I said before, we can fill the stadium and have winning teams. No major conference will even talk to FAU while it is a Tier 2 university. FAU needs to improve graduation rates and several other important metrics. I think Dr Kelly is working to improve those things.
So there is no use even talking about improving athletic standings before FAU improves its Tier rank.
FIU is now a ranked university and is in Tier 1.  So if anyone moves up to a new conference it will be them before us.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2018, 10:50 AM #384030
Yeah, FAU's academic profile simply will keep it out of some of the better conferences anyway. Even when hell freezes over, there will be no ACC in the Owls future - ever. I will give FIU credit for raising their academic profile to some degree (currently 187), and give them credit on their law school, which I know was in the top 100 at some point - impressive for a newer school.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I know some gave me a hard time about my "dancing on the sideline" comment, but that was just one sign that this team had a lack of discipline (coaching).  Watching the kickers behave like that, when our kicking game was easily as bad at it has ever been. I 100% blame this season on coaching.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2018, 6:01 AM #384026

It was amateur hour out there at times. I've watched enough fball in my life to see this was not a well coached or disciplined team.

Back to the top

HOW MANY TIMES DID WE MAKE A PLAY, BUILD A LEAD, CELEBRATE LIKE IMMATURE NEVER BEEN THERE KID'S - AND GET DOMINATED AFTER THAT!

EVEN VS. BETHUNE THAT HAPPENED - BADLY - SETTING THE TONE FOR THE YEAR!

SELDOM KEPT FOCUSED AND KEPT THE FOOT ON THE PEDAL!!!!

2ND HALVES THIS YEAR;

@ OKLAHOMA 14-21 (THEY TOOK THE FOOT OFF AND STILL OUTSCORED US!)
AIR FORCE 14-20 (WE TRIED HARD TO GIVE IT AWAY!)
BETHUNE COOKMAN (FCS) 13-14 (THANK GOD THEY WERE FCS!)
@UCF 19-35 (BLEW 1ST HALF LEAD END OF 1ST HALF TO BOOT!)
@MTSU 3-15 (BLEW GAME AND YEAR!)
ODU 26-26 (WOW - A TIE!)
@MARSHALL 0-21 (OUCH!)
LA. TECH 3-7 (SEE A CUSA D ISSUE HERE YET!)
@FIU 35-7 (ONLY COMPLETE GAME OF THE YEAR AND FINALLY A 2ND HALF WIN!)
WKU 24-6 (TWO IN A ROW!)
@N. TEXAS 17-21 (DOWN 0-17, COME BACK, THEN THE 2ND HALF!)
CJARLOTTE 3-17 (TO F…INN UNCC!)

SO 2-9-1 IN 2ND HALVES - NOT GOOD AT ALL! WITH (IN 4 CUSA GAMES) A 3, A 0, A 3, AND A 3 2ND HALF OFFENSE SCORING BY OUR OWLS. ACTUALLY SHOULD SAY OFFENSIVE!!!

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

HOW MANY TIMES DID WE MAKE A PLAY, BUILD A LEAD, CELEBRATE LIKE IMMATURE NEVER BEEN THERE KID'S - AND GET DOMINATED AFTER THAT!

EVEN VS. BETHUNE THAT HAPPENED - BADLY - SETTING THE TONE FOR THE YEAR!

SELDOM KEPT FOCUSED AND KEPT THE FOOT ON THE PEDAL!!!!

2ND HALVES THIS YEAR;

@ OKLAHOMA 14-21 (THEY TOOK THE FOOT OFF AND STILL OUTSCORED US!)
AIR FORCE 14-20 (WE TRIED HARD TO GIVE IT AWAY!)
BETHUNE COOKMAN (FCS) 13-14 (THANK GOD THEY WERE FCS!)
@UCF 19-35 (BLEW 1ST HALF LEAD END OF 1ST HALF TO BOOT!)
@MTSU 3-15 (BLEW GAME AND YEAR!)
ODU 26-26 (WOW - A TIE!)
@MARSHALL 0-21 (OUCH!)
LA. TECH 3-7 (SEE A CUSA D ISSUE HERE YET!)
@FIU 35-7 (ONLY COMPLETE GAME OF THE YEAR AND FINALLY A 2ND HALF WIN!)
WKU 24-6 (TWO IN A ROW!)
@N. TEXAS 17-21 (DOWN 0-17, COME BACK, THEN THE 2ND HALF!)
CJARLOTTE 3-17 (TO F…INN UNCC!)

SO 2-9-1 IN 2ND HALVES - NOT GOOD AT ALL! WITH (IN 4 CUSA GAMES) A 3, A 0, A 3, AND A 3 2ND HALF OFFENSE SCORING BY OUR OWLS. ACTUALLY SHOULD SAY OFFENSIVE!!!

Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 9:47 AM #384042

Ahhh Yes is was the celebrating that caused the 2nd half play this year.

Those young boys need to do more up downs. Play like the junction boys. High a tight haircuts for everyone!!!!!!

But really I thought the team pressed this year. Expectations and the fact things were not coming as well easy caused tense play at times.
MTSU game is a prime example of that. I also think the coaches o thought themselves at times like the end of the UNT game.

Again we outgained every C-USA team we played outside of the UNT game. 

We have plenty of time to talk about next year, but I think the D will be really good. They really started to play better as the season wore on. I love some of the young kids we have in the secondary. 

Mark my words Ahman Ross, Ailekis Leroy, And Hafiz will
All be all confrnce plyers in the next couple years.

Back to the top

Make fun al ya want to, you want numbers and I gave a ya REAL numbers! All the yards in the world mean nothing if ya can't score and we did not, especially in 2nd halves of CUSA games we SHOULD BE WINNING with the talent we have!

How about some more numbers on the D side for ya. At S. Miss under DC Pec in 2017 they had only 9 pics all year, we had 19.

In 2018 we went down to 11 (4 by a LB!), a 42% drop off. With the loss of only 1 DB from the prior year. Did the DB's suddenly as a group forget how to play and defend the pass or did the new "system" undo what Power5 Coaches had taught??? I vote for the latter!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Make fun al ya want to, you want numbers and I gave a ya REAL numbers! All the yards in the world mean nothing if ya can't score and we did not, especially in 2nd halves of CUSA games we SHOULD BE WINNING with the talent we have!

How about some more numbers on the D side for ya. At S. Miss under DC Pec in 2017 they had only 9 pics all year, we had 19.

In 2018 we went down to 11 (4 by a LB!), a 42% drop off. With the loss of only 1 DB from the prior year. Did the DB's suddenly as a group forget how to play and defend the pass or did the new "system" undo what Power5 Coaches had taught??? I vote for the latter!
Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 11:32 AM #384044

Your stats are correct, but your reasoning is ridiculous.

I am not crazy about how the D played, but if we want to take the next step as a D we need to be more multiple
great Defences are that way. IDK if PEC is the right gut, but lets put some on the players. I know you like to ramble off stuff without any real idea what your talking about, but we played a lot more cover 3, cover 1 and man this year and our CB's we exposed early. Lewis and Tooly struggled vs elite WR's and in these type coverages, it brings everything else down.

Also, I think the lack of Pick's had a lot to do with not being up 3 TD's by halftime.

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 11:32 AM #384044

Your stats are correct, but your reasoning is ridiculous.

I am not crazy about how the D played, but if we want to take the next step as a D we need to be more multiple
great Defences are that way. IDK if PEC is the right gut, but lets put some on the players. I know you like to ramble off stuff without any real idea what your talking about, but we played a lot more cover 3, cover 1 and man this year and our CB's we exposed early. Lewis and Tooly struggled vs elite WR's and in these type coverages, it brings everything else down.

Also, I think the lack of Pick's had a lot to do with not being up 3 TD's by halftime.

Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 12:02 PM #384046

Amount of interceptions is a horrible indicator for a defense. An offense will take better care of the ball when it knows it's playing against ball hawks. A big part of "only" 11 picks this year is the fact that we had so many last year.

Further, the Secondary usually plays better and forces more turnovers when there is more of a push by the D-line, which we did not have this year. Lane must have thought our corners were suspect/thin, which is why he brought in Meiko Dotson (JUCO corner). Unfortunately, he was out for the year.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

As you can tell by looking at the responses here, there's no easy answer for what happened this year.

1) Offense, defense, special teams all took a dive. If one goes the other can sometimes make up for it but there was just too much going wrong to salvage the season.

2) We had new QBs. Inexperience there will lose you games.

3) Our best WRs were gone and some good ones left behind gave spotty performances.

4) We played good teams at their place this year and they played better at home.

5) People realized the Owls had returned to playing poorly and stopped coming. The bandwagon moved on.

And now the Motor who bailed us out - or kept us competitive - may be leaving early for the NFL.

So what now?

It's hard to see this team doing a 180 next season when the only thing that's changed is a new WR coach so far. We're going to run the same defense, now without Azeez. We have the same inexperienced OC training the QBs who had no real improvement over the entire season…………………

And when it comes down to it, who cares if Weis or Kiffin are calling the plays if the team isn't getting them done? Just not scoring the points no matter who makes the call.

But hey, we (hopefully) have Kerrith Whyte and maybe some other people will emerge *shrug*

I think our best case scenario next year is for one of the QBs to have a Rusty Smith Emergence and we sign a graduate transfer at kicker. We're going to need it.

Back to the top
Control functions: