Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Where we'd be under Pelini

After Pelini was fired we talked a lot about the circumstances and then Brian Wright but never really summarized how we thought Pelini was doing in rebuilding the team - except for some talk about him severing ties with local high school coaches.

So the question is: if Pelini was still the coach, do you think we'd be better right now?

It's easy to talk about the drugs and all, but put that aside for a moment.... do you think he had us on the right trajectory and got cut off midway?
Back to the top

I think when it came to X's and O's Pelini was the much better coach, but the guy I don't think was a great long term fit. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I think when it came to X's and O's Pelini was the much better coach, but the guy I don't think was a great long term fit.

Posted On: Oct 22nd 2015, 8:06 AM #350895

Pelini's offense was Brian Wrights offense, same OC.

Im almost thinking BW had tunnel vision/overly loyal to JJ and is not quite used to dealing with JD who is not a running qb but is potentially a very good pocket passer. If JD could get some decent pass protection he would be dangerous.
Back to the top

voss749 said

DeltAlumnus said

Posted On: Oct 22nd 2015, 8:06 AM #350895

Pelini's offense was Brian Wrights offense, same OC.

Im almost thinking BW had tunnel vision/overly loyal to JJ and is not quite used to dealing with JD who is not a running qb but is potentially a very good pocket passer. If JD could get some decent pass protection he would be dangerous.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2015, 9:40 AM #350899

I agree. Driskell seems like he could be a very solid QB if he had pass protection and better playcalling.
Back to the top

I think we would be a good defensive team that was sprinkled with talented JUCO's…that was the strength of his offering as a leader, and those who were on the staff.

However, we would not have the plethora of young four year talent - particularly Parr.

Offensively, we would be the same.

Back to the top

I tend to wonder if CP has had plans to move on Wright anyway, some of the recruiting we've been doing (Parr, Driskel, that full back from the last class) those are not signs that we are committed to a run spread/read option offense which is BWs area of experience.

Who knows what last year could've been under Pelini, we would've had another 10 Jucos on the team, it might have been that breakout season we all expected that would eventually wisk him away to a job that pays. My expectation with CP was always, the moment he wins 8/9 and gets an offer, he's gone.
Back to the top

teambeer said

I tend to wonder if CP has had plans to move on Wright anyway, some of the recruiting we've been doing (Parr, Driskel, that full back from the last class) those are not signs that we are committed to a run spread/read option offense which is BWs area of experience.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2015, 11:16 AM #350902

Huntley is also a pro-style, even though we lost him.

It's obvious to see we are migrating in that direction…similar to WKU.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Who knows what last year could've been under Pelini, we would've had another 10 Jucos on the team, it might have been that breakout season we all expected that would eventually wisk him away to a job that pays. My expectation with CP was always, the moment he wins 8/9 and gets an offer, he's gone.

Our best bet long term

1. Coach who wants a decent retirement gig (Steve Spurrier?!? Don't laugh )
  2. Coach who really doesnt care about the money that much but wants to build a program (Joe Moglia of Coastal Carolina comes to mind who actually applied for the FAU job in 2012). btw: Coastal Carolina is entering the sun belt this next year and was in the fcs playoffs 3 straight years under Moglia.
Back to the top

Rick said

teambeer said

Huntley is also a pro-style, even though we lost him.

It's obvious to see we are migrating in that direction…similar to WKU.
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2015, 12:17 PM #350903

Brandon Dougherty was ours man…

There has got to be a Hal Mumme disciple floating around out there that is dying to be our OC!
Back to the top

teambeer said

Brandon Dougherty was ours man…
Posted On: Oct 22nd 2015, 2:09 PM #350926

Post of the day for spelling his name wrong three different ways now!

:Yawn:  :Yawn:   :Yawn:

:Laughing:
Back to the top
Control functions: