Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Who is the next "BIG" school in Fla?

After the Big 3, Miami, Florida and Florida State, who do you think will bring up the rear in the fastest time?
Say 3 years.
USF, UCF, FAU or FIU.

I've read some facinating stuff on other boards. We get a lot of positive press from all the others EXCEPT UCF! I wonder why? Even some of their fans will give some props but some will also look at us as below their standards..Funny!

USF is in the 4th spot right now. They have established themselves over their short tenure and made a dramatic leap to the Big East. They are also proven winners.

UCF is backsliding real fast!!! They haven't done a whole lot over the past years(but brag on a message board) and don't seem to be doing much better this season. I know it's early but they are already talking "rebuilding" for Coach O'Leary.

FAU is nearly tied with UCF. Don't laugh! We had them on the ropes last year and if we were to play them this year IMO, we'd probably win. They knock the SunBelt but the MAC is not worlds away.

FIU will be right there too. After these guys get this year under their belts and see that they can win games they will get the talent to stay home in Miami. That's saying a lot.

So in 3 years:
USF: Because of the recruiting power of being in the Big East.

FAU: Shoot past UCF because we can….Also talent staying in state on a winning program

FIU: Because of the homegrown talent staying home to play.

UCF…..it's the only slot left.
Back to the top

UCF links :'( about FAU

http://ucf.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=71&mid=39283979&sid=&tid=39283979&style=2&Reset=1

Check out the negative response from 1UCF FAN.
He must have forgotten that they are still in the mighty MAC!

http://ucf.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=71&mid=39357350&sid=&tid=39357350&style=2&Reset=1
Back to the top

LOL
UCF…..it's the only slot left

I think it will be close between USF and FAU. Yes USF does have the big East recruiting power but we have schnellenberger. Alot of recruits fathers remember him and tell there sons stories that get them excited. UCF bit off more they can chew. I rather be the best in the worst conference than the worst in an average conference, we would get more plablicity that way. Either way I feel the fans make up a large portion of the team, the recruits want to play in front of thousands. I think we need to play a big named florida school before we can draw the crowds. To bad UF wouldnt play us in that pre-season game, although right now I think we would stand a bette chance against FSU with rix at the helm. Not to knock him but I think it may be time to bring in a fresh arm. Hes still a good QB but I dont know if he still has what it takes.
Back to the top

He has what it takes. As long as it's not a big competitive school from a BCS or something.

Our Lady Of The Valley for The Blind Colleges are more along his lines for heroism.. ;D
Back to the top

as a UCF alum(FAU alum as well), i must admit UCF is in terrible shape right now. as long as i can remember UCF as been living off 'potenial' and the title of having all the ingredients for a successful program but never achieving it (great location in the middle of the most talented football state, great campus, huge enrollment). here comes the excuse..coach k was a jackass. i blame all of UCF's current problems on him. he was propped up there for a few years based on the success of one star recruit that just happen to fall into his lap. that one recruit brought in talent and attention that help launch UCF to a level that at least kept its head above water. but once he left, you saw what happened.

i truly believe o'leary is the real deal and UCF was extremely lucky to grab a coach of his stature to lead this program to the promise land. but first he has to mop up the mess created by the 'wanabe bouncer' who came before him (something just never sat right with me about the way that guy wore his shirts on the sideline). none of these players are his 'guys', thus the current QB dilemma, freshman starters on the line, etc. but within a few years i believe UCF will be successful and in the top 25.

much of FAU's current success is based on a) a great coaching staff, but also b) a boat load of seniors with alot of game day experience. i think if the two teams played this year, FAU would not only win but be favored to win. yet they didn't win last year, and i would put money on UCF next year. now this is coming from an alum of both schools, so i would like to see nothing better than both programs succeeding, but I feel UCF is a few steps ahead of FAU as of today(as well as FIU).

UCF fans i think are becoming a little bitter based on their non-BCS invite, and maybe a sneaking feeling that they're being passed up by other Florida schools namely South Florida and now maybe even FAU. USF and FAU arr examples of schools that have all the same attributes similar to UCF's but are actually succeeding with them to become the 4th power in the state. but UCF has great fans, check out the foum over at rivals, and there are alot of 'em(35,000 saturday).

UCF tries and tries, but it has never seems to work out. hopefully that will change now with o'leary and the great president and A.D. we have who are both x-football players extremely motivated to get this program where it needs to be (i.e. they're willing to throw alot of resources its way). So yet again it leaves this frustrated alum to say, wait until next year, or at least 'til basketball season.

:)
Back to the top

goldenknightowl,
I know that you are an FAU/UCF Alumni. This is just a fun thread for discussion. You have to admit that a few UCF fans are beyond realizing that they have some work to do before they arrive with the upper echelon teams.

O'Leary has his work cut out for him. He brings discipline and organization to the team. He already started by benching QB Moffitt!!! They are in a talent rich area also. There are some who think that he's using UCF as a springboard to a bigger more national power. He may be gone after next season(2006)

But UCF better not look back……

This is all in fun. ;) 8-)
Back to the top

LOL

I think it will be close between USF and FAU. Yes USF does have the big East recruiting power but we have schnellenberger.

I agree with both of these statements, but how much longer do you think that Schnellenberger will be with FAU?

I don't see him jumping to another school, but dang isn't he like 100 years old!? Just kidding, but seriously how much longer do you think he will continue coaching?

AGR in the HAYLOFT
Back to the top

He has a few years left with his contract, and as far as age, Lou Holtz, Joe Paterno, Larry Coker, and Bobby Bowden all are old enough to be my grandpa, all part of very sucessfull teams. But I agree, the Owls best shot to make it a 4-some in florida will be to establish a program with Schnellenberger as Head Coach. I dont see him going anywhere soon though. He loves coaching, and no matter how many teams he has coached in the past FAU is "HIS" team. He started it from a petition when there was no team, to me he feels he has a personal obligation to see the team succeed and make it to at least one bowl game before he retires. That would be the end all to his already impressive resume.

Welcome to the Forum…

Back to the top

i don't think his assitants get enough credit. i'm sure schnellenberger is more in the mode of a CEO at this point then the 'hands on approach'. if he can at least build this thing up to half of what he predicts, then we shouldn't have a problem getting a coach in 2008 or when ever he decides to call it a day.
Back to the top

I think it's a credit to the entire coaching staff, he has and always has surrounded himself with great personnel - each are just as valuable as the other, but he let's them do their job and it all starts with having a shared vision that each one believe in. If you remeber the "Under the light" program - the goal is to win a National championship, now whether it happens or not doesn't even matter, the work, the preperation, the scheduling, the mind set, just every thing they bring to the table revolves around that one goal, anything less is not acceptable. The players at first thought he was crazy (among most), but are now belivers.

I wouldn't worry to much about, the after Schenlly ERA,
he is establishing a program for continued success - look at at the programs he has been with (Miami & Louisvillee for example). Will they be a transition period after he leave, Definetely, but every team has those 2-3 years period of I don't want to say re-building, but transition - heck it happens regardless of any coaching change. College Football is an on going process, things change constantly, great coaching staffs are able to maintain consistantsy year-in and year-out, not always an easy thing to do.

UCF fans just need to really look at the team as is and stop looking at past success they may have had. I hate it went fans start to compare one teams win/loss against anothers win/loss it pointless and meaningless
Back to the top
Control functions: