Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Hoping to See The Owls Continue to Play Miami? Don't Hold Your Breath

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Hoping to See The Owls Continue to Play Miami? Don't Hold Your Breath.

Especially when the Cane's head man has this to offer after a narrow win in double overtime:

"My hat's off to Florida Atlantic, their coaches and their team for the outstanding job they did. Their three-point shooting was incredible, the way they got those threes with tremendous dribble penetration and kicking it out. We were very concerned with that going into the game and it proved to be very true."

But, the real fact of the matter is that the series has been lopsided at best, with the Owls only picking up action at home six times in the 23 game all-time series.

Accordingly, Mike Jarvis made his case after Saturday's contest with regards to what needs to happen for future scheduling considerations with the Southern neighbor:

"We would love to continue to play them, but they don’t want to play in Boca. So we'll ask them again if they'll play home and home, and if they don’t want to play home and home then we probably won’t play them again."

Sounds like a plan to me.

Besides, it's obvious that the tide has finally shifted. FAU is not to be taken lightly anymore. And if UM wants to acknowledge, by refusing to come to Boca, that the Owls will no longer be a "beat-up" win, then so be it.

See ya round, UM.

We could use another home game anyway.

Back to the top

Re: Hoping to See The Owls Continue to Play Miami? Don't Hold Your Breath

Hoping to See The Owls Continue to Play Miami? Don't Hold Your Breath

We need to win these next non-conference games coming up against Harvard and Siena to give us some momentum going into conference play. 

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

By Jarvis' quote it seems like he's made his decision on signing that contract extension
Back to the top

owlmart said

By Jarvis' quote it seems like he's made his decision on signing that contract extension

I'm not sure we can construe that from his statement, but it is encouraging to see a forward-looking vision of the team's future from him

Anyone know why there hasn't been a coach's show this season?  They usually have them at Hooters but I have not heard any announcements.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

I will laugh if Miami refuses to come to Boca because of facilities or crowd size because I was at the FAU-Miami NIT game earlier this year and the crowd support for the hometown Canes was friggin' awful. Had that game been played in Boca, the Burrow would have been packed instead of attended by the 1,000 or so at Miami's arena.

Miami's support yesterday in the OB Classic was also suspect. FAU's fans would have sounded just as loud if they had not been placed in the ionosphere of the BankAtlantic Center.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

Miami's support yesterday in the OB Classic was also suspect. FAU's fans would have sounded just as loud if they had not been placed in the ionosphere of the BankAtlantic Center.

+1
Back to the top

They are really too scared to come to Boca to play?  What about for just good ol' competition and for the fans in the area?  There are TONS of wal-mart UM fans in Broward and Palm Beach, would give them an easy way to see them play.

Still would love to play them in football.  UM fans are going to give the whole "what do we have to gain" speech.  But this isnt the UM of the early 2000's, there is no pedistal to stand on.  Lets just play for the competition of it and for the fans.  Would be a great event every year.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

They are really too scared to come to Boca to play?  What about for just good ol' competition and for the fans in the area?  There are TONS of wal-mart UM fans in Broward and Palm Beach, would give them an easy way to see them play.

Still would love to play them in football.  UM fans are going to give the whole "what do we have to gain" speech.  But this isnt the UM of the early 2000's, there is no pedistal to stand on.  Lets just play for the competition of it and for the fans.  Would be a great event every year.

We may have a legit shot to beat them if we play them in 2-3 years. They should be reeling from some major NCAA sanctions as a result of the Nevin Shapiro scandal.  Although right now Penn State is making Miami's infractions look more and more innocuous.

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

BeastOwl said

walty12 said

We may have a legit shot to beat them if we play them in 2-3 years. They should be reeling from some major NCAA sanctions as a result of the Nevin Shapiro scandal.   Although right now Penn State is making Miami's infractions look more and more innocuous.

Penn State is making every college look good right now.

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top
Control functions: