Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fire Kimberly Miller

Add topic

Lemanski goes to Temple. FAU put an acting director in till they find someone new.

Kimberly Miller of the PBP could have headlined it:

"FAU has interim research director "

BUT NO, She has to word it:

"FAU pays $25,000 a month for acting research chief"

I mean, does she have a problem with FAU? Why word the headlines like that? I know the story explains things but WHY those headlines.  Why concentrate on the guys pay? Is she an expert on what it takes to bring in someone like this guy? People are going to overreact like they usually do. Controversy seems to seek FAU out no matter what.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/south/epaper/2008/02/08/0208faujob.html

FAU pays $25,000 a month for acting research chief
By Kimberly Miller

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, February 08, 2008

BOCA RATON — A former Auburn University administrator is earning $25,000-a-month as acting head of FAU research while a national search is conducted for someone to fill the critical role permanently.

C. Michael Moriarty, a past colleague of Florida Atlantic University Provost John Pritchett, started Jan. 1 after retiring from Auburn in December.

The job, whose formal title is vice president for research, is vital for FAU as the school builds its research reputation with partners such as The Scripps Research Institute and the Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies.

FAU's former research head, Larry Lemanski, resigned in the fall to take a position with Temple University in Philadelphia.

Moriarty's employment agreement ends June 30, meaning he will earn about $150,000 for his work, but that does not include health insurance or accrual of vacation.

"This is a person whose been there and done that, has Washington connections, and has had success," Pritchett said. "We're well on the way to having the infrastructure in place for the new person when they hit the ground."

Pritchett said Moriarty's compensation is comparable to what vice presidents for research earn at major research universities.

It is higher than the $16,000-a-month paid to the vice president of research at Florida State University and the $20,650-a-month paid at the University of Central Florida. But it is less than University of Florida's vice president for research whose monthly salary is about $26,916 - or $323,000-a-year.

Lemanski earned about $16,600 per month - $199,345 per-year - but his position also carried benefits, as do those at FSU, UCF and UF.

"It's hard to look at a six-month special effort and compare it to a permanent position, but I guarantee if we get the kind of person that we need here you'll be paying them a hell of a lot more than the provost makes and that doesn't bother me at all," said Pritchett, who, as provost, earns about $260,000 per year.

An FAU search committee headed by College of Science Dean Gary Perry has decided to hire a national search firm to help look for Lemanski's permanent replacement.

Pritchett and Moriarty met at Auburn University when Pritchett was associate provost and dean of the graduate school and Moriarty served as vice president for research. Pritchett came to FAU in 2004.

During Moriarty's 12-year tenure at Auburn, he aided in the development of a $25 million research park and helped increase research funding. Auburn's sponsored research programs are now valued at $100 million.

Florida Atlantic University research funding grew under Lemanski from $35 million in 2001 to $93 million last year.

"Mike was always congenial and supportive of my interactions with him," said former Auburn colleague Henry Baker, a professor of veterinary medicine. "As vice president for research he is competent. I expect that he will serve Florida Atlantic University well."

Moriarty's position as vice president for research at Auburn ended in December 2006. A local newspaper reported at the time that Moriarty was fired and was taking an assignment in Auburn's College of Veterinary Medicine.

But Moriarty and Pritchett said the move was an administrative change initiated by new leadership, a common practice at universities.

"The president wanted to make a change and everybody serves at the pleasure of the president," Moriarty said.

At FAU, Moriarty's focus will be mostly at the administrative level, working to electronically integrate paper work and help the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute align its operations with FAU.

FAU took over the Fort Pierce facility this year.

Moriarty said he's not interested in the FAU position long term, but added;

"I've been around a long time and I've learned never to say never and never to say always."

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Re: Fire Kimberly Miller

Fire Kimberly Miller

I agree. The whole article is designed to create controversy. Which is strange since the article acknowledges that he is being paid a comparable salary to others in the state. We really should start making a list of this crap and write the editor. This is just getting ridiculous.
Back to the top

I am so done with the Post and this Miller character. Just cancelled my subscription, seriously. I do not need to sponsor this kind of biased yellow journalism. I'm done with them, one time too many.
Back to the top

prowler said

I am so done with the Post and this Miller character. Just cancelled my subscription, seriously. I do not need to sponsor this kind of biased yellow journalism. I'm done with them, one time too many.

I hope you told them why.
Back to the top

However, facing $7 million in budget cuts and possible layoffs, plus on the heels of the whole Davenport fiasco (which was on the heels of the Corvette fiasco), this kind of spending has to be questioned.  Of course they need to be competitive, but I'm not willing to give them a free ride.
Back to the top

The said

Of course they need to be competitive, but I'm not willing to give them a free ride.

What does that mean? So they have to be competitive, that is why he has that salary. By writing an article making it sound inappropriate is making sure he doesn't get a free ride?
Back to the top

A 50%, $100,000 increase from the last guy who had the job?  Has research at FAU suddenly reached a level for which the position commands a top-dollar salary, particularly at a time when they are facing huge cuts and possible layoffs?  I don't have stats on this, but I'm willing to bet FAU is behind (in no particular order) FSU, UF, UCF and USF. 
Back to the top

The Post is a joke of a paper, I stopped paying attention to that pamphlet a long time ago.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

The reporter does not write the headline or the subhead - only the story. And sometimes even that can develop a new lead or direction after the reporter writes it (probably not with Miller, who is experienced).

Blame the headline on the copy editor (there are many) who d4esigned the page and writes many of the headlines and cutlines (captions); an assistant metro editor; or the newspaper in general … but not Miller.

The best thing you can do is write to the metro editor, editor and publisher. Then, if you choose, cancel your subscription and let the paper know why you took that action.
Back to the top

The guy is basically a consultant for the university and consultants by rule make more than a full time regular employee. So my opinion of the Post article no matter who wrote it or did the copy edit or had anything to do with it again was trying to sensationalize the freaking story hence making a mountain out of a mole hill. Instead of praising the university for having the ability to bring someone in at this level to assist in finding a top caliber administrator for the betterment of the university they chose to dig and nit pick. Can't imagine the story will read if they get a person that has good credentials and may cost a few bucks to have aboard. After all we are trying to develop into a class university maybe they just  don't want that to happen.
Back to the top
Control functions: