Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Hopefully this won't blow up in our face

Add topic

Budget cuts felt deep in the mammaries…

FAU to Women: Hey Broads, Deal with Budget Cuts! - Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach - News - The Daily Pulp

"FAU administrators, looking to cut costs during a tight budget year, have apparently decided to shut down the university's Women's Studies Center and related master's degree program."

A petition is going around threatening a PR mess.

"The petition points out that the cuts represent a mere $60,000 of the university's $239,949,841 budget – in other words, 00025 percent.  Slashing women's resources is not cool in a year that both the athletics budget and the presidents salary were boosted, the petition says – especially when the average salary of a male professor is $16,000 higher than the average salary of a female counterpart."
Back to the top

Re: Hopefully this won't blow up in our face

Dont piss off the feminists.  For everyone's sake.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Meh...
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Budget cuts felt deep in the mammaries…

FAU to Women: Hey Broads, Deal with Budget Cuts! - Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach - News - The Daily Pulp

"FAU administrators, looking to cut costs during a tight budget year, have apparently decided to shut down the university's Women's Studies Center and related master's degree program."

A petition is going around threatening a PR mess.

"The petition points out that the cuts represent a mere $60,000 of the university's $239,949,841 budget – in other words, 00025 percent.  Slashing women's resources is not cool in a year that both the athletics budget and the presidents salary were boosted, the petition says – especially when the average salary of a male professor is $16,000 higher than the average salary of a female counterpart."

Can't we just get rid of the lifelong learning center?? ;D…. The "older" students that empty out of there cross the street in hordes with no regard for the traffic signals and they are terrible drivers!!!!!
Back to the top

I am just guessing but I would think the revenue vs cost of these classes is real good.

Plus, more important, it makes a connection to the age bracket that has all the money.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Hopefully this won't blow up in our face

illinoisowl said

Plus, more important, it makes a connection to the age bracket that has all the money.

Bingo. The Lifelong Learning Center is about getting people to remember FAU in their wills.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Bingo. The Lifelong Learning Center is about getting people to remember FAU in their wills.

Fat Chance!
Back to the top

This isn't related to just FAU, but I think all universities in the US need to stand back and really look at what a university is for. In my honest opinion, athletics should always go first before anything academic goes. Where are our priorities if we'll cut research centers and academic programs but not touch a sports team. A university is for education, not for sports.
Back to the top

fiu_panther said

This isn't related to just FAU, but I think all universities in the US need to stand back and really look at what a university is for. In my honest opinion, athletics should always go first before anything academic goes. Where are our priorities if we'll cut research centers and academic programs but not touch a sports team. A university is for education, not for sports.

The problem is that we are in Florida. If sports were to go before academic programs there would never be any sports. The legislature would just take the cash from the sports and keep it. It is a travesty how our state legislature treats Florida's educational programs, from elementary schools all the way to universities. Education in Florida is just a big piggy bank for a rainy day. And right now it is poring.
Back to the top

Back to the top
Control functions: