Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rat's Mouth?

Add topic

As you know, SGA started a student tailgating section for football on the quad by the Administration building. It's called "Rat's Mouth" because apparently everyone thinks that "Boca Raton" translates to the "mouth of the rat" but now I'm reading that it actually translates to "mouth of the mouse." Can anyone who speaks Spanish confirm that? And if that is the case, do you guys think SGA should change the "Rat's Mouth" name since it's wrong?
Back to the top

Re: Rat's Mouth?

Owl2Doc said

As you know, SGA started a student tailgating section for football on the quad by the Administration building. It's called "Rat's Mouth" because apparently everyone thinks that "Boca Raton" translates to the "mouth of the rat" but now I'm reading that it actually translates to "mouth of the mouse." Can anyone who speaks Spanish confirm that? And if that is the case, do you guys think SGA should change the "Rat's Mouth" name since it's wrong?

Yes, it does translate to mouth of the mouse.
Boca = Mouth
Raton = Mouse

Rat = Rata

I guess it's their decision wether they want to change it or not.
Back to the top

Well, the original campus bar was the Rathskeller (which I think is common ay universities) but everyone called it The Rat, which I assume was part of the Boca Raton/Rats Mouth name, its kind of part of our school now.
Back to the top

I don't think anyone cares if the student tailgating area is the correct translation…. If they change it to "mouse," it will sound a little nancy anyway.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Well, the original campus bar was the Rathskeller (which I think is common ay universities) but everyone called it The Rat, which I assume was part of the Boca Raton/Rats Mouth name, its kind of part of our school now.

Either that or it was too hard to say "Rathskeller" after 15 beers…….
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

This article says the interpretation should be "thieves inlet"

Economic Development

We called the rathskeller the rat because it is easier to say than rathskeller. The ladies would call it the rathskellers because they didn't like to say the word rat.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

When I was at FAU, all those years ago, one of our Cuban friends said it could be translated as rat's mouth or mouse's mouth. She also helpfully gave us the Spanish to describe the other end of the rat (or mouse). Sadly, I have forgotten those words.
Back to the top

I am Spanish, from Argentina. I can confirm that "Raton" means Mouse.
However, I feel like "The Rat's Mouth" sounds a lot better and it should be kept that way.

Also, Raton was a famous Spanish fighting bull! haha
Back to the top

Rat's Mouth?

I dont give a mouses ass what we call it as long as the students tailgate!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

I dont give a mouses ass what we call it as long as the students tailgate!

HAHAH!!! + 1 for sure!

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: