Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Blue Shovel update

Add topic

Re: Blue Shovel update

The money we raised is still waiting on us to use as we feel best. Not a single penny has been spent yet. I have been assured by Terry that are money will not be spent until I direct them as to how and whom to pay it to, it's our money to spend as we see fit. If we do not move forward on this than I personally want my money to be applied to a season ticket(s) for the new stadium for 2010. That way the football program and I both benefit from all of this, as should everybody who has put their trust in myself and FAU. Not just into a fund that they can spend anyway they want. That is the problem as I see it with their fundraising efforts. How can they except anybody to contribute any money let alone millions with out being able to show them a plan and a solid commitment as to how and where that money would go. I agree that what had started as a single statement has grown into much more than that. I too would love to see this work for all of FAU Athletics. Consistency through out all the sports programs, for all to benefit. I welcome a site dedicated to the Schools Shovel Movement, if you are still willing to help in that regard. So as to gather funds for all the sports programs, a single school symbol that all can use, that was the idea. I have no problem in any and all ideas that the athletic department might have to accomplishing these goals. I just have not heard of any of them, at least none that I have not already suggested, which they liked. I want to work with them and nothing more, it's all about the advancement of FAU and all it's sports programs. To put us on the map sort of speak, just as USF has done. They have made a hand type MIT that they have used two fingers to represent Bulls Horns. A great idea, and from what I saw at the game they are very popular and have helped the school solidify it's fan base. Well that is the same basis of what we are trying to establish here for us at FAU. Something for the fans to grab onto and show their support and spirit. I would think that the Athletic Department would want the same thing, and we have even gotten the ball rolling for them. I see myself as an Ali, nothing more, surly nothing less. I have even thought that we could make up Blue Towels with the money, but figured that would be just a one shot deal and would not really accomplish what we were attempting to do for FAU and all it's programs. Raise awareness as well as generate a fan base and thus MONEY for the school ! I am aware that all great things take time and development and that is why I have continued on as we originally set out to do. To generate a fan interest and a growing fan base. I think we have already made an impact, but do not want it to be a one shot deal. I again ask for all your help out there in Owl Country, and any suggestions that one might have. Please send me an e-mail at - [email protected] - we can get these foam shovels and or hand MIT's made for all the sports programs to benefit from. I need help, support and some additional financial backing, as it appears FAU does not have the money or foresight to assist in what will only benefit them and all it's athletic programs.     
Back to the top

Wow! That is absolutely ridiculous. However, it does not suprise me ONE BIT!. As I stated in a few posts back, the university should never have got involved. Way to much red tape or as my grandmother use to say "They don't know their ass from their elbow". Sounds to me like you have done a great job. I for one appreciate what you have done (tried to do). Without people like you, our program will remain at the bottom of the college ranks.

p.s. The foam idea is great as well.
Back to the top

Blue Shovel update

Thanks for the positive remarks. I am gathering info from foam vendors so as to get our own FAU Spade Shovel MIT's made, as well as an 18 - 20 inch foam spade shovels. All can be made in either Red or Blue, the Fans will be able to choose. They are getting me samples for color match now. The only thing we need FAU for is to collect and hold (not spend) our money until we see fit. Terry said that one of the people advised him to do what ever they see fit with his donation, but would not say who that was. I asked Terry to send me an updated list on our donations so I can address everbody. I ask everybody to hold tight as I say we go with the foam, as we can use them for all sports, nobody can say they would pose any danger, just a lot of fun for everyone. Football, Basketball (Bury the Burrow), and also for Baseball. Hope we get a new Baseball complex built soon guys. We can have them just like USF did with the Giant Hand, as they used the two outside fingers to look like Bull Horns. I am sure you in attendance at the game saw them, and hated them as I did. We too can have a school symbol for all sports, they will be around for ever and we can actually make money and perhaps fund other projects on down the road. But we would certainly be able to sell these and continue to produce them for all FAU sports events for years to come. More to come. Please always feel free to email me D-Owl "Ed" at [email protected] - we need more supporters to get this off the ground as we will have to have & buy a mold/template that we would then own and it would be just a one time cost. So all you guys out there with deep pockets and want to enter into a business venture send me an email. Surely this is some thing that we can turn into a money making venture for us to continue and establish a growing fund for FAU, perhaps even sponsor a scholarship or two for the sports that have a real need, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. I can see selling many many thousand of them a year between the three major sports alone at FAU. I should have thought of this long before as it's a much better idea than the plastic shovels, much easier to get into the stadiums and areans as well. Every school has and sells some sort of foam item. Please PLEASE send me an email -I need your input. Lets be the leaders that they are not. We can do it. Thats D-OWL "Ed" at - [email protected]           
Back to the top

tampas1owl said

Thanks for the positive remarks. I am gathering info from foam vendors so as to get our own FAU Spade Shovel MIT's made… 

What does MIT stand for? Is that a jargon term for this type of item? I'm relatively new to athletics marketing… and I keep looking at it thinking "Massachussetts Institute of Technology"…   or do you mean "mitt"? Like a baseball mitt?

I agree the foam idea is good as long as it isn't so soft that it sags over…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

yes, see my last post, about 8 or so up…

the funds are sitting secure on the foundation account…TBD what they will be spent on…i think Ed is mainly wanting some ides, etc as the orginal vendor and some coopreation from FAU dissolved…

As long as he's not taking any ideas from you, FO, I think we're good to go….considering, according to Ed's post, you're the one who got the school involved in this in the first place.

As I mentioned before, that should NEVER have happened…..a main part of this thing was a semi "protest" against the school!
Back to the top

GhostOfBuchanan said

Florida_Owl said

yes, see my last post, about 8 or so up…

the funds are sitting secure on the foundation account…TBD what they will be spent on…i think Ed is mainly wanting some ides, etc as the orginal vendor and some coopreation from FAU dissolved…

As long as he's not taking any ideas from you, FO, I think we're good to go….considering, according to Ed's post, you're the one who got the school involved in this in the first place.

As I mentioned before, that should NEVER have happened…..a main part of this thing was a semi "protest" against the school!

thanks for the pot shot Ghost…

for the record, i was not "the one who got the school involved"…Dexter Lamont wrote to "Scott" above and requested a meeting…it was mutually agreed upon to meet…

i did send an e-mail (as did others on this board) regarding the movement in general to Dexter LaMont…and Ted Hutton had already written about it in the blog days prior…so it was truly a multifacted communication process as to "how" FAU got involved…

what's funny is how everyone thought this was a great thing initially…and now based on what FAU did, i am at fault here…wow…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

thanks for the pot shot Ghost…

for the record, i was not "the one who got the school involved"…Dexter Lamont wrote to "Scott" above and requested a meeting…it was mutually agreed upon to meet…

i did send an e-mail (as did others on this board) regarding the movement in general to Dexter LaMont…and Ted Hutton had already written about it in the blog days prior…so it was truly a multifacted communication process as to "how" FAU got involved…

what's funny is how everyone thought this was a great thing initially…and now based on what FAU did, i am at fault here…wow…

I didn't get involved in this thing for a couple of reasons, and the main one was because I knew once the school got involved, things would turn into a huge clusterfark….as many things involving our athletic dept. do.

The Shovel groups should have told Dexter to shove it….he's no marketing genius, as we know.

It was 'initially' a nice idea, but why the hell the group went to the school about it, I don't know. It just sounds like everyone had their own agenda and ideas about this thing and Ed just blindly decided to take too many people's advice.

If you want someone done properly, do it yourself.
Back to the top

GhostOfBuchanan said

I didn't get involved in this thing for a couple of reasons…

It just sounds like everyone had their own agenda and ideas about this thing and Ed just blindly decided to take too many people's advice…

If you want someone done properly, do it yourself.

in hindsight i wish i wouldnt have in some cases…drama factor became too much…

and yes, it did become a beuracratic nightmare…

in defense of Ed, i thinked he handled this about as best as one could, given all the factorsa he had to juggle, and the interest of the financial contributors…no one knew things would get the way they did with "cooperation" over some plastic shovels…

but of greater value, some of the longer term ideas perhaps were lost…

that is still yet to be determined…
Back to the top

I think that the school got involved because of timing and they provived an avenue to collecting money.

I do think that if there had been more time to get everything done properly, things could have work-out better then they did.
Back to the top

If you want to get something done right, it should be handled by the private sector ONLY. Dealing with the University was a hugh mistake. When your dealing with any type of intitution/government they are scared to take a crap without asking 10 people if it is ok. If you bring in an Entrepreneurial type of mindset, it would have been a guaranteed success. Don't ask permission…JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: