Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 OPENER - GAME THREAD: #30 FAU @ #7 Oklahoma - September 1, 2018

Add topic

Agree Mark. Chris looked bad today. I still think ha has a big time arm. Just needs game time. We were hugely out manned today. Lets regroup and run the table. Oh, and don't forget to get all your Owl needs from It's  Owl Time. 20 Street , just off campus.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Yeah, I remember a kid named Rusty Smith who had a rough outing in his first game on the big stage at Clemson and he turned out ok! Owls Up. Have a good showing against Air Force and the ship is righted.
Posted On: Sep 1st 2018, 6:38 PM #380020

If he is still the QB, we'll see…

Johnson looked the best out of all of them…wish we would have gone to him for the entire second half just to see what the run game would have done.

The game just looked like Parr revisited, since we stuck with the pass a lot…

Back to the top

Rick said

fauowl said

Yeah, I remember a kid named Rusty Smith who had a rough outing in his first game on the big stage at Clemson and he turned out ok! Owls Up. Have a good showing against Air Force and the ship is righted.
Posted On: Sep 1st 2018, 6:38 PM #380020
If he is still the QB, we'll see…

Johnson looked the best out of all of them…wish we would have gone to him for the entire second half just to see what the run game would have done.

The game just looked like Parr revisited, since we stuck with the pass a lot…

Posted On: Sep 1st 2018, 7:32 PM #380023
Yeah, to be even competitive against OU, thought you need a more dual threat QB that can keep the D guessing a little. You could see DJ wasn't as crisp throwing the ball, but he added a dynamic that I thought we would have needed because we cannot match up on the lines with their athletes. I thought CR would have provided somewhat of a dual threat as well, but he couldn't create anything out there - just quick outlets or drop backs won't do anything to OU.
Back to the top

Johnson did look like the better option (but now you know). Robison over-threw about as often as Parr under-threw. The OL needs more time but ought to have the talent. Motor had his yards, yes? The D, on whole, was...well, it was something. Next week should be better; and the week after; and the week after.
Back to the top

Misread his yards on some tweet. Too bad.
Back to the top

Hey jgf can you please post OU playing in national championship games videos A hole. I hope you understand the talent level now these teams have and never call fau an elite program ever again 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Hey jgf can you please post OU playing in national championship games videos A hole. I hope you understand the talent level now these teams have and never call fau an elite program ever again 
Posted On: Sep 1st 2018, 7:59 PM #380027

(this post appears to be somewhat out of character due to today's in game viewing activities)

:Big-Grin:  

Anyways, I don't think this is really a good idea…

Do we want to become an elite program?

Yes.

So, assuming you do too, just tell him to wait!

Nothing wrong with being a homer, just as long as it's not being a homer and confrontational to boot.
Back to the top

Well now the Undefeated pressure is gone, the news years six pressure is gone and the 10 game streak is gone - ON TO THE NEXT GAME AND STREAK!

This WILL BE a wake up call to all but to think we could compete and even actually best a team from last years playoffs IN THEIR HOUSE was basically ridiculous.

Take a day off then kick their butts Coaches, we ARE NOT ELITE LIKE OKLAHOMA OR ANY TOP 10 POWER 5 TEAM, we are good bit not THAT good yet! Even when Boise St. got good and got wins over top 10 teams - it was a neutral sites - not their home field.

LEARN, WORK HARD, AND GET BETTER OWLS!!!
Back to the top

Well I already had my doubts about our DC hire and his schemes.  Reminds me a lot of Belantoni, looked a lot like it today too.  What's worse is they could have easily permanently implanted our D in some embarrassing record books if they didn't call off the dogs in the 2nd qtr.  

Also, like someone else said.  I thought we were keeping the super up-tempo we had last year with a twist of Kiffin injected into it.  Getting the play called and the ball snapped before the d could even get set was what demoralized d's we ate up last year.  We just looked like every other spread somewhat up-tempo out there today.  

I dont think a lot of people(me being one of them) realized how much effect losing Briles,  Chris and our O line coach would have on our product on the field.  I know it's still early and all and they were more athletic, yadda yadda yadda but dam*, today was absolutely pathetic.
Back to the top

I frankly didn't understand the game plan on either side of the ball. We really expected to beat OU with a regular pro style/spread offense like we can match them on regular drop back passes and screens? I always felt the only way we keep it interesting is to mix it up and certainly have a dual running QB, which I though Chris could give. It just looked like the Parr offense all over again, except worse. I want DeAndre to play, doesn't even have to start, but I want him to get snaps because he seems to be able to provide a spark.

As for the D, that was abominable. I have no words.

The upsetting thing about this game for me is not the loss and not even being blown out. I really thought we'd progressed to the point where we moved beyond the traditional FAU "body bag games". I don't see any positives to take out of this game. Really not one, on as big a national stage we have played. It really looked like the "same ol' FAU" - which we used to say year after year.

I completely understand we don't have the horses to compete against Oklahoma (despite what some (a handful) people thought), but to be down 56-0 to any team in the nation right now is unacceptable given the progress we thought we'd made. If you look around the scoreboard, there are FCS teams that did much better against big time P5 programs than we did. This game was about national perception going forward, and we couldn't have looked any worse and any more amateur on a national stage.

I'll chalk it up as an expected loss and I expect the team to regroup, but this is on the staff as much as the players.
Back to the top
Control functions: