Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 OPENER - GAME THREAD: #30 FAU @ #7 Oklahoma - September 1, 2018

Add topic

As others have expressed, play calling was confusing and poor. Today we were not only outplayed and out-executed, we were out-coached. We know what Lane can do, but Weis is young, and Pecoraro, I have no words or excuse. 

We don’t belong with the elite teams. We belong in the weakest conference in the NCAA. Whoever thought that we’re an elite team is drastically mistaken. 

We need to be realistic about who we are - a program with a tradition of losing, trying to turn the corner. Enjoy it for what it is, and hope we make it to another bowl game this year. I think that’s our measuring stick. 
Back to the top

Theres no reason to be worried yet. We still were on Network television (Fox) for the first time in school history, so it's probably a good day more than a bad day. And 63-14 is bad, but it could of been way more embarrassing. There's nothing you can do about a brutal schedule. It's not like they took away our conference championship and name recognition. And, we still have a 6 game home winning streak (in which we haven't even trailed once) and 9 game C-USA win streak. Those are serious win streaks we still have at the moment.
Back to the top

This was just a good ol fashioned butt kicking on national television. A complete embarrassment and some of the worst tackling I can remember seeing. Hopefully, this is a major wake up call to any of those guys who thought "we've made it" but we clearly have not. Lots of football left to play but there are many corrections that need to be made if we are going to have similar results as last year.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Theres no reason to be worried yet. We still were on Network television (Fox) for the first time in school history, so it's probably a good day more than a bad day. And 63-14 is bad, but it could of been way more embarrassing. There's nothing you can do about a brutal schedule. It's not like they took away our conference championship and name recognition. And, we still have a 6 game home winning streak (in which we haven't even trailed once) and 9 game C-USA win streak. Those are serious win streaks we still have at the moment.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 1:11 AM #380046

Getting boat raced on national television is very bad for the brand dude. 
Once again, to the average football fan we are easily confuseable with FIU, “one of those sh!tty teams down in south Florida.” We are trying to build a fan base in a very fickle town and showings like this do nothing to interest the casual fan in coming out next Saturday. Every time we get our shot to galvanize people, we do this. First game in the stadium, 28k fans, we lose to WKU 50-3 or something. Navy, Miami at home, huge crowds, we get spanked. Today.

This was not a great team to try to work the kinks out against. After next season, our OOC schedule becomes more manageable and these body bag games disappear. Can we try to get Wager back for week 0 next year???

But to those of you who didn’t think that changing all 3 coordinators  (and yeah, the special teams coordinator Loss mattered yesterday, big time!) and not having a qb wouldn’t be a big deal…this is the result. 
Back to the top

On page 19, d-owl has a long post. But the last sentence is the most important. He said this loss was on the staff as much as the players. We were ill prepared.The losses of Briles, Kiffin, Justice, and who ever else was evident. Someone else stated that installing a complicated D hasn't worked at FAU. Let me tell you why. Our HS's in south Florida simply turn the kids lose. Play. Don't think. I think the DC for  the canes has the most simplified system you can have. Don't hand cuff the athletes. I wanted to hear Al-Shires name 20 times yesterday. I never heard the name Young. Our kids looked out of sorts yesterday. I know they are better. It's up to the coaches to put them in a position to succeed. Not to hand cuff them with too many rules and responsibilities.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

On page 19, d-owl has a long post. But the last sentence is the most important. He said this loss was on the staff as much as the players. We were ill prepared.The losses of Briles, Kiffin, Justice, and who ever else was evident. Someone else stated that installing a complicated D hasn't worked at FAU. Let me tell you why. Our HS's in south Florida simply turn the kids lose. Play. Don't think. I think the DC for  the canes has the most simplified system you can have. Don't hand cuff the athletes. I wanted to hear Al-Shires name 20 times yesterday. I never heard the name Young. Our kids looked out of sorts yesterday. I know they are better. It's up to the coaches to put them in a position to succeed. Not to hand cuff them with too many rules and responsibilities.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 8:27 AM #380052

I have been worried about this “multiple” aggressive d all off season.
It’s what Roc ran basically.
Those runs up the middle look familiar?  
Yesterday I saw DE way out of position in running plays.
Safety’s no where to be found or taking poor angles.

Also Lane said all camp the hardly went live to keep guys healthy and it showed.
Back to the top

The defense looked exactly like what we used to see a few years ago. I think Oklahoma is probably the most talented and well coached offensive team we have played in quite some time, but still we didn't do anything well. I didn't expect a win but I was surprised that we weren't able to show anything on national television. The lack of continuity on the coaching staff is a much bigger issue than people wanted to believe. I think Conference USA is still ours for the taking but the team I watched yesterday is not in the same league as Oklahoma and that is unfortunate.

On the bright side I think that Motor still showed that he is the real deal. He made something out of nothing and made nothing out of losses every time he touched the ball.
Back to the top

OC, please don't take this personal, I know you know football. You, like me, are opinionated. I  disagree with you a lot. But your post is exactly what I was worried and thinking about. I saw runs up the middle where the runner was un touched. How? OU could have scored 90-100 points on us had they not called off the dogs. DJ looked better than Chris because we were playing the practice squad. I'm worried. Coaches matter. And I'm not sure we have the right guys in place. Lane …yes. Below him….who knows
Back to the top

How the defense looked is very worriesome. Hopefully it looks much better against C-USA competition. If we play like this UCF will wax ya like Oklahoma did. 
Back to the top

I don't even know where to start guys.

I'll admit to being a cautiously optimistic sunshine pumper as we were approaching this season and this game.  I believe in supporting the team no matter what (I'm sure most here would agree), and enjoying each moment we have with this staff.

My biggest fear was in replacing Kendal Briles, who I felt was an amazing-how-did-we-land-him hire.  The Baylor offense was awesome, and we ran it very well here.  I loved the up-tempo offense as it gave us an advantage.

The Kiffin bubble/wide receiver screens were back yesterday.  The pro-style offense was back yesterday.  The long drawn out offensive plays were back.  Go back and watch Alabama games and read what people were saying then.

On defense, I was a little worried about the aggressive scheme after I watched Southern Mississippi last year against FSU and Tennessee (both on YouTube).

The saying is live by the blitz, die by the blitz.  I saw that a lot on film and saw it yesterday (maybe not the blitzing upon first view) - holes in the defense and zone where they picked us apart, support tacklers arrived too late, etc.

I don't mind losing to OU, though I think last year's team could have hung with anyone.  But this is obviously a different team.  The way we lost was mind-boggling and light years away from where we were last year.

While I'm not throwing in the towel yet by any means, there are reasons for cautious optimism.

(We should also all collectively send Lincoln Riley thank you cards.  If not for his grace and being a gentleman, I'm thoroughly convinced we could have witnessed the biggest beat down in modern day college football.  They stopped rushing the punter after the block and TD, they took Anderson out after 5 (!!!) carries, pulled Murray out in the SECOND quarter, and probably other countless favors I missed).
Back to the top
Control functions: