Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 OPENER - GAME THREAD: #30 FAU @ #7 Oklahoma - September 1, 2018

Add topic

Hoot_N_Holler said

I don't even know where to start guys.

I'll admit to being a cautiously optimistic sunshine pumper as we were approaching this season and this game.  I believe in supporting the team no matter what (I'm sure most here would agree), and enjoying each moment we have with this staff.  

My biggest fear was in replacing Kendal Briles, who I felt was an amazing-how-did-we-land-him hire.  The Baylor offense was awesome, and we ran it very well here.  I loved the up-tempo offense as it gave us an advantage.

The Kiffin bubble/wide receiver screens were back yesterday.  The pro-style offense was back yesterday.  The long drawn out offensive plays were back.  Go back and watch Alabama games and read what people were saying then.

On defense, I was a little worried about the aggressive scheme after I watched Southern Mississippi last year against FSU and Tennessee (both on YouTube).

The saying is live by the blitz, die by the blitz.  I saw that a lot on film and saw it yesterday (maybe not the blitzing upon first view) - holes in the defense and zone where they picked us apart, support tacklers arrived too late, etc.

I don't mind losing to OU, though I think last year's team could have hung with anyone.  But this is obviously a different team.  The way we lost was mind-boggling and light years away from where we were last year.

While I'm not throwing in the towel yet by any means, there are reasons for cautious optimisim.

Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 9:24 AM #380068

Kendel wasn’t as big as a loss as Chris.

Kendel lost a lot of play calling duties when they switched QB’s last year.
Also that was not pro style we ran yesterday or much different than what we ran from last year at all. 
Poor QB play that Motor couldn’t save us because this wasn’t FIU we were playing. Kendel can look like a genius when it’s third and 8 and a hand off works. 
Also Lane is very honest and he said the WR’s struggled all camp and it showed. 

I am hopeing on both sides of the ball this is just another slow start.
Back to the top

Also, I hope this game is a lesson to the the newer Owls fans why recruiting matters.

It why laughed when GAowl was talking about how OU lost this and that but not realizing that they are just very putting out another 4 or 5 star out there.

It’s why stars matters. 
Back to the top

Good points, and yes I should clarify.

Not a full pro scheme offense, just wrinkles from it, which I think slowed us down and took away our advantage.

If I had a choice between keeping Kendal or Chris…I'd probably pick Kendal.  Good offenses are harder to come by, no disrespect to Chris, and what plays into the hype FAU is trying to create.

The poor QB  and receiving play came from not picking a QB at the end of the spring and giving him a chance to establish timing, leadership, and confidence (in my opinion).

I'm hoping for the slow start as well, and getting back to conference play as you discussed.

But…we didn't play this poorly at Wisconson last year.
Back to the top

Thoughts on how long we kept Robison in the game? 

It makes me think that Lane has told him he’s the guy and he’ll have to learn on the job. Pulling him in the first quarter could have demoralized him I suppose. At least he wasn’t getting sacked every other play.

Would have liked to have seen the other guys earlier. 

Rafe Peavy just set the record for the shortest run of being my favorite FAU quarterback. 12 seconds. He threw that completion and everyone I was with was like, we’ve got our guy!! The Next play, throws the worst INT we’ll see all year. I love FAU sports 😂
Back to the top

teambeer said

Thoughts on how long we kept Robison in the game? 

Too long.

Back to the top

Everyone on here making good valid points in one way or another, good job Owl fans. THIS loss WILL help Coach K gets this ship on the right course - no a=swelled heads on this roster now!
Back to the top

I disagree.

The QB wasn't the only factor yesterday and whoever we go with needs the game time reps.

A change of QB doesn't change the defense, which was hurting yesterday.

Azeez had 3 tackles? Haven't seen the box score yet.
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

I disagree.

The QB wasn't the only factor yesterday and whoever we go with needs the game time reps.

A change of QB doesn't change the defense, which was hurting yesterday.

Azeez had 3 tackles? Haven't seen the box score yet.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2018, 10:17 AM #380079

I didn't like, but didn't have a huge problem with Chris playing the first half if Kiffin already decided he's riding with him as the #1. I did have a problem with him playing the second when it was clear the offense wasn't going to do anything with him in there and there was all this talk about all 3 QBs playing not knowing who the starter is etc. If Chris isn't working out, and he wasn't yesterday, I want to see what the others bring. They got one series each. To me this was not handled correctly, especially for DeAndre.
Back to the top

The rash of early penalties really killed any chance of us staying in that game. Driving with a 1st down on the OU 16 early and….NOPE, stupid penalty kills that. Now 3rd and long and out of field goal range followed by botched punt that does not even get them back to their own 20!

Boom - game over immediately after that!

Heads out of asses players and Coaches, play smarter and play better here on out - GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that so many of us were expecting to do better against OU. OU is a legitimate playoff contender, and Lincoln Riley is a heck of a coach. We're replacing both coordinators and some other staff, and also a quarterback. Our OC has never been a POSITION COACH let alone a coordinator. And Southern Miss wasn't exactly a great defense under Pecoraro.

We were clearly out-motivated, out-played, and out-coached.I haven't seen us look so flat and ambivalent in a long time. We got blown out because our heads weren't in the game, from the coaches down to the equipment managers. If we'd been focused, we would have lost, but not been blown out like this. This was one of the least disciplined performances I've ever seen.

Looking at how we played compared to how other G5 programs played sort of shows that while we can run the table in a VERY WEAK C-USA, we're not at the level to compete with established programs. We're not even truly competitive with other G5 conferences.

I'm confident we'll accomplish what we all said we wanted when we hired Kiffin - compete for the conference title consistently, and play in a bowl game every year.

Unfortunately for us, UCF had a historic year last year, while we had one of the best seasons in FAU history, which impacted our expectations for this season.

Now, we should absolutely be more competitive against UCF, but most of my friends have been under the impression that we're going to blow the doors off UCF, which is pretty unrealistic. But of all the teams we play, they'll be our best chance for a non-conference upset.

I'm certain that Kiffin will make adjustments (really curious about who was calling plays on offense yesterday), and get the team motivated and on track. I just think it's important to have realistic expectations. To take the next step, we need to start with having a winning record every year, and compete for conference championships, and go to bowl games.
Back to the top
Control functions: