Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

MTSU @ FAU Game Thread - September 30, 2017

Add topic

No Difference said

With all honesty at this point in time there is no difference between Parr and Driskel…
Posted On: Sep 25th 2017, 12:29 PM #371397

Parr can drop the long ball on point - and HAS.

Driskel threw wounded ducks and balls into the next county last weekend.

Now, as far as both being able to hand the ball off nearly 60% of the time, yes.

But we NEED A QUARTERBACK WHO CAN THROW THE BALL from time to time as well.

:Smug:  :Winking:   :cool:
Back to the top

Rick said

No Difference said

With all honesty at this point in time there is no difference between Parr and Driskel…
Posted On: Sep 25th 2017, 12:29 PM #371397

Parr can drop the long ball on point - and HAS.

Driskel threw wounded ducks and balls into the next county last weekend.

Now, as far as both being able to hand the ball off nearly 60% of the time, yes.

But we NEED A QUARTERBACK WHO CAN THROW THE BALL from time to time as well.

:Smug:  :Winking:   :cool:
Posted On: Sep 25th 2017, 1:34 PM #371399

And no throw it into double coverage. Not turning it over to me is just as important at this point
Back to the top

Did news come out regarding stockstill? I see we’re 2 point favorites 
Back to the top

As a first-year supporter of the program, what kind of fan support is expected this weekend?  I will be there after missing the Bethune game because of an unplanned trip back to NC for a death in the family, but wondering what effect the sting of a 1-3 start will have.  I certainly think this team has the talent, but needs the time to gel and figure each other out.  As for the discussion about running the ball, the Baylor offense was not really an "air raid" offense - it was much more predicated on going really fast but using the ground game and speed to decimate you.  They beat UNC in a bowl game a couple of seasons ago where they only attempted a very small number of passes.  I like Parr's arm to stretch the field and to at least scare a defense into not selling out against the run, but I think the Navy game would have been much closer had we run the ball 35+ times and I think the Buffalo game would have been a win had Parr played.  Just my opinions, but I am hopeful for getting a opening conference win to pick the confidence back up (by players AND fans).
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Did news come out regarding stockstill? I see we’re 2 point favorites 
Posted On: Sep 25th 2017, 6:10 PM #371411

Yeah,  he's not listed on their two deep…

But here's what Coach Stockstill had to say:

“No, probably the same. They (Richie James, Chandler Brewer and Brent Stockstill) didn’t go yesterday. So that’ll give them yesterday off and today off, we don’t practice. We’ll have a better idea tomorrow when we practice. But it’s probably going to be the same thing. It’s going to be a game time (decision) or later in the week that we’ll really know.”

This could go one of two ways, they try and throw us off preparation wise with the bogus notes, or he's holding on to straws at this point that his son can play.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

As a first-year supporter of the program, what kind of fan support is expected this weekend?  I will be there after missing the Bethune game because of an unplanned trip back to NC for a death in the family, but wondering what effect the sting of a 1-3 start will have.  I certainly think this team has the talent, but needs the time to gel and figure each other out.  As for the discussion about running the ball, the Baylor offense was not really an "air raid" offense - it was much more predicated on going really fast but using the ground game and speed to decimate you.  They beat UNC in a bowl game a couple of seasons ago where they only attempted a very small number of passes.  I like Parr's arm to stretch the field and to at least scare a defense into not selling out against the run, but I think the Navy game would have been much closer had we run the ball 35+ times and I think the Buffalo game would have been a win had Parr played.  Just my opinions, but I am hopeful for getting a opening conference win to pick the confidence back up (by players AND fans).
Posted On: Sep 25th 2017, 6:46 PM #371412
Probably expect 7-10k butts in the seats.  This is a program that hasn't had success in a decade…fan support just isn't there right now.  Especially not for CUSA games.  

As far as needing time to gel…this is the 5th game.  Time is now.  Season already feels lost with a 1-3 start.  We lose our 10th straight to MTSU on Saturday to start 1-4…this thing will spiral for the remainder of the 2017 season.

I dont know that we are going to have a great solution at QB this year.  Going to have to put a game plan together that one of these guys can execute.  Talent is 75% there…we have some gaps.  Need to fill those gaps in this coming offseason.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

More from Stockstill..

On FAU

Their tempo is really fast. I said last year that Missouri is the fastest tempo team that we’d ever gone against. It looks like on film that FAU is going to be able to compete with that tempo. We’ve got to get our plays in and our play calls in. We’ve got to see it, we’ve to get lined up and we’ve got to play fast on defense.to handle that. For them defensively, they’re big up front and they can run. They’ve always been that way. They’re doing a good job of stopping the run.

Their stats are a little miscued a little bit because playing Navy that first game, they didn’t see many balls thrown at them. But their secondary is really good and they are good in the kicking game again. I think they are 4-4 on field goal, so they are really sound in the kicking game. So this is a great challenge for us. Obviously, it’s probably going to be hot and humid so we’ve got to be able to handle that and adjust to it. I have no doubts that we’ll be able to do that.

This is going to be a tough, hard fought game again. Most conference games are and this has every bit of the
makings to being a tight ball game. Last year, it was a scoring fest on both sides of the ball. We scored a bunch
and they scored a bunch. So I know both defenses are going to be motivated to put a better product on the field
than we did last year in that game.”

On evaluating FAU’s run defense when they’ve gone up against teams such as Navy and Wisconsin

“I don’t because it can be misleading in a lot of ways. You look at Bowling Green last year when they rushed for
300 yards against us. On Saturday, they rushed for one. So every team you play is different. Every opponent you
play is different. Navy probably ran the ball 70 out of 80 snaps. When that happens, you’re going to get some
yards put up against you. Wisconsin is a big, power running football team. So every team is different. Buffalo got
a lot of yards rushing Saturday out of the quarterback. They had a lot of predetermined quarterback runs, so
everybody is different. We’re a different running team than Navy, Wisconsin or Buffalo is. I think they are a lot
better defensively against the run than it statistically shows.”

On facing a new FAU team under Head Coach Lane Kiffin

“I don’t get into Lane Kiffin and that stuff, we’re playing FAU. I’m not playing, Lane’s not playing. We’ve both to
prepare our teams to play well and that’s my objective this week.”

Back to the top

I'm guessing more like 10-12k fans. The fans are disappointed but not giving up. I was really impressed with the student turn out for both games. I will say that we  will tell ,with who starts at QB ,if the coaches and fans are on the same page. C'mon down OwlDad. Win or lose it is still a good time. Can't beat the areas food and drinking spots. Only problem is my family wants to meet up after the game on Atlantic Ave and I'm too old for those hours. I hate to say it but this may be the most important game of the season. Timing wise, we need a win.
Back to the top

Stop worrying about attendance. Grab your friends and go and tailgate and have a good time.
That's why I love college sports because the day is about more than just the game. Right now we have only lost 1 game we shouldn't have lost and if people want to burn their tickets after that then they should never come back.

Also I have noticed that people in the 100' sections on third down you people need to stand a make noise.
I could have sworn their has been nothing but corps down there for some of these games. Who cares about the person behind you and stand up.  
Back to the top

i dont like the fact that Coach K, is keeping this competition open. Make a decision and go with it.
Back to the top
Control functions: