Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Call to Arms: Need Your Help If Inclined

Add topic

All,

My participation on the forum during the last six weeks has been somewhat hampered due to a family matter I wanted to share, and possibly ask for your support on - my father's (pictured above) health.

Despite being a stage 4 cancer patient for the last two years, and at large since 2011, he was able to cook a turkey for four hours on Thanksgiving while leading a "normal" life but shortly thereafter began a drastic decline driven by an onslaught of various circumstance which later found him in the hospital from December 27th to January 12th before being moved to a rehab facility:

• Three crushed vertebrae (unexplained)
Pneumonia
Severe UTI
• Two counts of Sepsis

That stay in rehab was short, as he was readmitted January 16th due to continued complications surrounding the ability to hold food down.

He's scheduled to return to rehab tomorrow but wanted to ask for you support as fellow Owls. He's an FAU alum amongst a trio of other colleges during his academic career in pursuit and completion of a doctorate degree.

No words can describe the last six weeks, but they have been highlighted by quite a bit of ups and downs, tears, and the eventual "why" question.

He's in treatment to regain normal eating patterns, muscle and motor function, and independence while seeking the goal of returning home.

It's no secret that I am Christian and believe in the healing and miracle power of Christ, as does he.

If you share the same Faith, and would like to, please remember him in your Prayers.

On behalf of TWO Owls, thanks for your consideration  :)

Rick

Back to the top

Continued prayers for comfort & healing for your Dad and entire family.
Back to the top

Prayers for your Dad, and your entire family (you included of course)!
Back to the top

Sorry to hear this Rick, cannot imagine what you are going through.  My prayers are with you and your family.
Back to the top

Your dad sound like a strong dude. I know you already have, but ask  the good lord for his help and turn it over to him. I love the fact that your beliefs are openly expressed. I believe everyone, of all beliefs, should be open. I will include your dad in my prayers in my daily conversation I have with my god. Stay tough young man.
Back to the top

From both dad and myself, a BIG Thank You to everyone for their support!

Much appreciated!  :cool:

Our attitude…

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. - James 1:2-3

Back to the top

+1
Back to the top

All,

Thanks again for your offering Prayers and support during this time for both Dad and our family.

Just a quick update…

Unfortunately rehab was not a successful trip the second time either - the main opponent continues to be loss of muscle and strength.

We came home yesterday only to fall short of being able to perform basic functions in that of getting up from seated positions and tending to personal care associated within an environment defunct of skilled nursing and aid.

For those who may find themselves in a similar situation one day with their loved ones, rehab is simply not equipped to deal with intensive medical needs of an elderly patient who has critical needs during the recovery process.

Doctors are not around, and there is no qualified "eye" to observe changes that necessitate a quick counter in that of prescriptions or procedures.

We experienced a fully backed discharge via an insurance carrier doctor at the facility while Dad was severely dehydrated and dealing with an infection. They obviously had no clue and had not been actively monitoring his daily status in person.

Otherwise, the return would likely have been manageable.

A quick emergency visit to his primary care physician within hours of leaving the facility was then conducted, and that was immediately followed by a trip back to hospital per his direction.

That said, we are not giving up, but will be seeking a capable plan that will allow for an observant and successfully reactive level of care, while doing our part, in aggressive rehabilitation therapy.

This is truly in God's hands and we accept the outcome, but will put forth our best effort to fully recover to previous lifestyle levels as the cancer is NOT the driver right now.

Blessing to You and Yours,

Rick
Back to the top

Best of luck to ya and your Dad and entire family in pushing though this. Stay strong in your faith!!!
Back to the top

You and your dad are in my daily prayers.
Back to the top
Control functions: