Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU off-campus housing recommendations

Add topic

Don't be afraid to look into South Delray. Lots of FAU students and athletes (baseball) live just over the boarder. Both near Federal and Military/Linton areas. Just as nice without the Boca prices

Back to the top

I lived in Oaks of Boca for a while towards the end of senior year...right across the street off 13th and pretty decent...
Back to the top

Depends how far from campus they want to be….there's a couple places in Delray right off Atlantic that are great and only 6-7 miles from campus. Where I am in Delray (I can message you the name) is a few min from the beach and Atlantic Ave but also near a lot of the shopping centers and supermarkets (Winn-Dixie, Publix, etc.) Gated communities with pool, fitness center, etc. Really nice places where there's a good amount of younger people, too. Mine is a bit more families and young adults who might be finishing up college or just got out as opposed to somewhere like U-Park that's 95 percent students. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Rick said

I lived in Oaks of Boca for a while towards the end of senior year…right across the street off 13th and pretty decent…

Posted On: Feb 2nd 2019, 10:51 AM #384930

That place is a hole, I'd never live there again.  Police raids, they only allow 2 cars per unit, cats, rats, roaches, old.  I can go on and on.  It's close to campus, it's only redeeming quality
Back to the top

owlmart said

Rick said

I lived in Oaks of Boca for a while towards the end of senior year…right across the street off 13th and pretty decent…

Posted On: Feb 2nd 2019, 10:51 AM #384930

That place is a hole, I'd never live there again.  Police raids, they only allow 2 cars per unit, cats, rats, roaches, old.  I can go on and on.  It's close to campus, it's only redeeming quality
Posted On: Feb 7th 2019, 5:27 PM #385082

Guess it went down hill…i lived there a LONG time ago!

(20 years)

:Not-Talking:
Back to the top

My Brother and sister in law live at the Mark at cityscape.  They love it there since they can walk to just about everything
(Publix, Trader Joes and Mizner within walking distance).  They have a 2 bedroom place.  Not sure how much it is though.
Back to the top

Rick said

Owl2doc would be your premier resource…

Doc??
Posted On: Feb 1st 2019, 12:02 PM #384912

THIS FAU off-campus housing website is a good starting place, as is apartments.com.

A lot of people focus on dedicated communities with all the bells and whistles but renting a house and splitting the cost may be more cost-effective, especially in Boca. Some apartments charge an arm and a leg per person ($800+) as a policy vs other places which are like $1500/month but split among three people, that's actually reasonable.

Back to the top

As an update, they have gone and looked at 3 or 4 places (primarily in the South Delray area) and have called about a few others.  They are being told this is too early, but they are looking to start renting in mid-Summer.  Most 3-br places have ridiculous ranges on rent, with ones that look decent starting at around $2100 ($700/each).  That "range" can go as high as $4k.  Generally that doesn't cover anything above trash pick-up and water, so tack on another $150 for Internet/cable, guessing $200 for power, additional for more than one assigned parking spot, etc.  My estimate is the total cost is going to be $900-$1000 per month per roommate as a starting point.

The stuff on 20th is higher than that - pretty much all of those newer apartments are the type you pay per bedroom.  That makes a lot of sense, but still is a little sticker shock (at least for me).
Back to the top

That sounds about right.  I was paying around 500-550 10 years ago and had two roommates.  Now that I moved out of the south, that $2,100 is about the price of a 1 bedroom, so it could be worse.
Back to the top
Control functions: