Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF hires Missouri OC Josh Heupel as Head Coach

Add topic

jgf2017 said

As a native "South Floridian" and South Florida is the tri county area (Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach), not Tampa, nothing beats living down here. It's worlds better than Tampa and Orlando. All we need is to keep building what we have here and I believe there will be a point of no return. That's the point where we surpass USF (South Florida yea right) and UCF. We're right by the Atlantic Ocean, not the Gulf of Mexico. Those are second class cities. We have everything down here.
Posted On: Dec 10th 2017, 1:15 PM #375192

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

We half-ass a lot of things. That's why we've only accomplished so much.
Posted On: Dec 10th 2017, 10:53 AM #375190

From what I've read about Dr Kelly, he wants to do things big and the right way. Getting the money to do things full-assed is the problem. We all know FAU ranks very low in alumni giving. When I make my next $million, I'll give more.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

As a native "South Floridian" and South Florida is the tri county area (Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach), not Tampa, nothing beats living down here. It's worlds better than Tampa and Orlando. All we need is to keep building what we have here and I believe there will be a point of no return. That's the point where we surpass USF (South Florida yea right) and UCF. We're right by the Atlantic Ocean, not the Gulf of Mexico. Those are second class cities. We have everything down here.
Posted On: Dec 10th 2017, 1:15 PM #375192

Lol I grew up in Clearwater, decided to stay here after graduation. Def not second class cities. Beaches on the West coast are actually nicer. But it’s all subjective, and exactly why they aren’t second class cities. 
Back to the top

There's going to come a time when we surpass USF and UCF and never look back. It'll be because we have a better location.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

There's going to come a time when we surpass USF and UCF and never look back. It'll be because we have a better location.
Posted On: Dec 10th 2017, 5:23 PM #375196

Why is our location "better"?
Back to the top

Well, we're in the tri county area, by the ocean. And the closest D1 program north is 4 hours away. We have all of Palm Beach County to support us. We're close to Ft Lauderdale and Miami. We could develop a USC UCLA rivalry with Miami. FIU will always be UM's little sister, so we're basically the only other D1 team in the area, which is huge. I think the only "advantage" USF and UCF have on us is the party atmosphere and bars. People mistake the "better" partying options to mean they have a better location. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Well, we're in the tri county area, by the ocean. And the closest D1 program north is 4 hours away. We have all of Palm Beach County to support us. We're close to Ft Lauderdale and Miami. We could develop a USC UCLA rivalry with Miami. FIU will always be UM's little sister, so we're basically the only other D1 team in the area, which is huge. I think the only "advantage" USF and UCF have on us is the party atmosphere and bars. People mistake the "better" partying options to mean they have a better location. 
Posted On: Dec 10th 2017, 6:18 PM #375198

Again that’s all subjective and opinion. 
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Owl2Doc said

We half-ass a lot of things. That's why we've only accomplished so much.
Posted On: Dec 10th 2017, 10:53 AM #375190

From what I've read about Dr Kelly, he wants to do things big and the right way. Getting the money to do things full-assed is the problem. We all know FAU ranks very low in alumni giving. When I make my next $million, I'll give more.
Posted On: Dec 10th 2017, 2:08 PM #375194

Part of it is money, sure.

But that's not always the case. Look at Innovation Village. That was supposed to be a "hub of student life" with restaurants and shops on the bottom floor of Garage 3. It never came to be. An FAU representative said there wasn't enough interest in it from developers due to the economy.

Meanwhile FIU built a new parking garage with restaurants on the bottom floor. UCF got new vendors in their space.

So did we half-ass it or not? What really happened there? I don't believe it's because we decided to do the Athletics Center there. That was recent. Innovation Village came about in 2011 with the stadium.

And that's frustrating because you see the plans and renderings and presentations and think "ok FAU finally gets it, they're on the right track" and then everything gets put on hold…. which makes me worried for 20th Street because the City has documented that they haven't had enough recent interactions with FAU which is particularly insane because

A) this is something we want
B) we have hired someone from the City Council whose job it is to act as a liason between FAU and the city

So in recognition of our slow movement on these fronts (and others) you can certainly understand why UCF is ahead of us.

And you have to envy schools who have an idea and a year later it's realized, it's there and open on-campus.

To be fair, President Kelly is the right guy and undoubtedly doing great work. But he can't and shouldn't be advancing FAU on all these fronts by himself.
Back to the top
Control functions: