Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Thank You Howard!

Add topic

Re: Thank You Howard!

Thank You Howard!

I kind of wish the statue would've been placed near the entrance where the players come out. Clemson touches Howard's rock before each game, FAU touches Howard's statue before each game. I know that the Owl statue is over there and they can touch the spread out wing but I think the statue would've been far cooler.

Either way, not trying to sound like a complainer. The statue of Howard is amazing. 30 years from now when we're all still going to the games we can remember all the great things Howard has done for us and how much he has meant to this "small commuter school" in Boca Raton Florida

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Howard,

Thank you for finally making our University a destination school of choice.  If only we had a football team in the early 90's, I and many more kids would have had a chance.  Many kids that were not on the radar-and were given a chance to play for you did great; they were offered scholarships and opportunities.

All we had in the early 90's was flag football, which everybody enjoyed.  Our team "The Bears", for Bad News Bears, thought that we would not win any games against all the big fraternities in 1990 and 1991.  We were a team of 7, so we had to play both ways.  I played WR & DB.  We ended up going undefeated 2 years in a row.  Island Water Sports and Budweiser paid for us to attend the National Flag Football Championships in New Orleans.  We had a blast, we beat Ohio State and many other big schools.  Army actually knocked us out of one of the tournaments.  I will have to pull out my old Atlantic Sun's Newspapers to see who beat us in 1991 (I broke my ankle in the playoff game 2 weeks before New Orleans).  Russell was our QB and he was good enough to play for any of the big schools, however he enjoyed being an OWL!

The reason why I bring this up, is that I told this story to Coach Howard at the hotel just before the Clemson game (just before Rusty's first game).  He said that we carried the torch and helped drive the need for a true football team.  We all know that it was the entire student body that wanted our school to be more and compete with FSU, UF, UM, USF & UCF.  Howard gave us that opportunity.  I can't tell how many times the student body begged Dr. Catanese to add the program.  We petitioned, we begged, we pleaded, etc  Howard made it possible for our University to be noticed.  It made me very proud to talk to someone that left Ole Miss to come to FAU.  This student is now taking 15 hours and said that our school is leaps and bounds better than Ole Miss.

So my hats off to you HS, thank you for all that you have dreamed, all that you have accomplished and all that you have given us.

Forever Howard!  Enjoy your retirement and stay active with our program as well as your life.  ONE BIG THANK YOU FROM THE HAMILTON'S.

GO OWLS!

Back to the top

GREAT post OWL4EVER! All we had was intramural flag football WAY back in the late 70's, I played on the Express and we lost in the finals and I think all the teams had to play both ways then. I was way better on O! :D Fun but not the same as today - THANK GOD (and Coach S.)!
Back to the top
Control functions: