Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2003 Report Card

2003 Report Card

This is only one person's opinion. Quotes or stats are not really mentioned here.
It is only intended for entertainment purposes only ;)

Offensive Line: B+
This was the biggest improvement in 2003. These guys really played well throughout the year. Protection was not too bad for the QB. Their defensive opponents outweighed them in every game!

QB: B
Played smart during most of the games. Tough competitor. Improved in getting rid of the ball in certain negative situations.

RB's: B-
All undersized and overachieved. Also no true bruising fullback to work with. Their size in comparison to the O-line's size is what may have hindered us in some game.

Defensive Line: B+
Small in stature but big game-time warriors! Overmatched in almost all of their games!

Linebackers: B
These guys are also a good group who was a little undersized vs their opponents. Played exceptional in key games. Pass coverages will only improve this group next year.

Special Team: C+
Great punt/kick coverage. Our kick/punt return team didn't fare too well. We almost always started wherever we caught the ball. Not too much on the return.
Kicker was pretty accurate. Punter was also pretty good on placements.

Secondary: B
Played with a lot of passion. Gambled as a unit and it paid off several times. A few of the players are interchangeable and that helped with a few key injuries.

Coaching: B-
Great game plan on most days. The killer instinct seemed to be missing during the late games of the regular season.

Overall; Solid B Rating.
Our speed served us well in all of our games. FAU have a very bright future ahead with a few plug in's here and there.

But….. that's another post 8-)

Back to the top

2003 Report Card

Who are some of the top players returning?
Back to the top

2003 Report Card

They are losing two key players to graduation.
#51 Q.Swain from the defense and possibly the kicker A. Rosas. Rosas is petitioning the NCAA for an extra year based on a "previous enrollment" small print.

Everyone else is returning. Top players.

Offense.
Entire O-line
QB Jared Allen. A VERY good one is waiting in the wings. Transfer Danny Embick from WVU.

RB A. Jackson. I think the job is his to lose now. RB D. James may return from 2003 INJ list too.
WR's Bynes,Tellis and Taylor.
TE's Crissinger-Hill and Dangston(INJ list for 2003)

Defense
Entire D Line
LB: Laskowski,Higgins,Earls,McKinley
DB's: All are back. Led by Hughley and Skinner at CB.
Amaya from an knee injury at SS.
Roundtree,Rodgers and Terry split time at F/S Safety.

Special teams
Punter Rosas(hopefully)
Kicker M. Myers

They have a true senior laden team back next year.
Back to the top

2003 Report Card

I know we at MTSU are happy that we won't have to deal with Roosevelt Bynes anymore.

The University Of Pittsburgh transfer was the dude who caught that miracle hail mary in the last play of the game handing us a loss which not only began a season of ruin on the field but in the stands as well.

After that loss our attendance fell through the floor cultimating into a season home closer with UL-Lafayette that turned out to be the worst attended college football game between two Division 1-A schools.

MTSU ranked third to last in average attendance in all Division 1-A this past season despite the 23,000+ that watched FAU upset us in our season home opener.

I hope we won't have to go through that again or we can kiss 1-A goodbye.

That's for sure.

At least if we lose to FAU again we can say it was against a 1-A school and not a 1-AA school in which I hope our fans would understand.TEXT
Back to the top

2003 Report Card

Roosevelt Bynes will be back in 2004 for FAU. He will be a senior. He made tons of big plays this past season, but it all started at MTSU. FAU was fortunate to have him on the team.

I wish I could have seen that play at MTSU. I'm sure that MTSU will look forward to playing FAU in 2004.

Back to the top

2003 Report Card

I have Bynes listed as a returner along with Tellis and Taylor.

That game was one of the road games I missed. I got play by play on both the Web Real Player and a players dad/phone.

It was a great game for FAU. I think MTSU will be geared up this time when we play. They did have a very good defense this year.
Back to the top

2003 Report Card

It will be interesting to see RB D. James back next year,
he was having a great spring before his injury.
Back to the top

2003 Report Card

Do you think Embick will unseat Allen as the starter next year, he did really well when he had the chance. Jared did good, but I think some of his reads need to be better as he would "lock on" to a target and not see a WR running down the sideline wide open. Either way, FAU is in good shape at QB next year.
I do wish coach had kept some of the guys from the walk-on year, one of them that I was friends with dissappeared until I saw him in the Fiesta Bowl intercepting two Ohio State passes(Cedric Williams). That would be the only criticism so far, coach's plan has come through very well.
Back to the top

2003 Report Card

I agree with you that Embick did very well once he
found a comfort level, he has a good arm and good
head on his shoulders. Should be interest in spring
to see what happens there. Allen does have more accuracy.
Back to the top

2003 Report Card

I don't see Allen losing his job to Embick. Coach likes the prototype pocket passer like Allen. Allen is very accurate. His reads can l;eave you scratching your hedas sometimes but he's pretty consistant. Embick is the new breed that drives the older coaches crazy. He will hurt you with his arm or his feet! I like the kid.
The walk on year produced a few good players who is still there. Everyone that wasn't playing felt they deserved to be on the field because FAU was a start-up program. A few ended up with good opportunities at other schools.

RB Dekolan James has yet to show what he can do. Bad luck with health and grades have kept him sidelined.
He is GOOD.
Back to the top
Control functions: