Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Any scoop on the schedule yet?

I've been reading the AA message board and a lot of schools have already posted their schedule.
We aren't on any of them.
That's a good thing :)

Just wondering about any "leaks" for the diehard Owl fans. I'll keep reading the SunBelt board and post whatever I come across regarding FAU's schedule. 8-)
Back to the top

I read the commissioner's chat on the Sun Belt website and he said that the conference has been waiting until after the NCAA Conference to finalize schedules. He said that they are waiting to see if there are any changes to cheduling requirements, such as the rule that states FAU and FIU must play 5 home D-IA games. The conference began yesterday and continues through the 12th. Hopefully we'll have news on a schedule by next week or the week after.
Back to the top

This was posted on the FIU board, would have a lot of relevance here too:

SOUTH FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ
UM is on FAU's wish list
BARRY JACKSON
[email protected]

Florida Atlantic University coach Howard Schnellenberger wants badly to play his old school, but the University of Miami isn't biting.

Asked if he thinks FAU will play Miami within a decade, Schnellenberger said it will happen well before then. But UM has ruled out playing the Boca Raton-based university anytime soon.

''We have no motivation to do it,'' UM athletic director Paul Dee said. ''They're fine people, but we want the highest level of competition.''

UM also has no interest in playing FIU, which unlike FAU, hasn't inquired about it. FAU and FIU begin a two-year Division 1-A transition period next season.

FAU has tentatively booked road games at Vanderbilt in 2005 and Kentucky and Alabama in 2006. FIU has agreed to play at Alabama in 2006 and 2009. UM, meantime, has scheduled future games against Ohio State (2010 away, 2011 home), Texas A&M (2007 home, 2008 away) and Colorado (2005 home). The Hurricanes also will play two home games and one road game against the University of Central Florida and Marshall starting in 2007 or 2008.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top

Thanks Maxx

''We have no motivation to do it,'' UM athletic director Paul Dee said. ''They're fine people, but we want the highest level of competition.''

These are the kind of comments that led to the Big East getting upset with UM leaving for the ACC. He said some things about competition in that league too.

The problem is that Howie need to get the Old Money involved in this request.
You know, the boosters from yesteryear, when Paul Dee was only a twinkling in someone's eye ;)

Hopefully we will be somewhere on a higher level in ten years anyway!

Back to the top

Yeah I know what you mean.

It's interesting that Alabama is playing both FIU and FAU in the same year.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top

I have read that at the NCAA meetings the 15,000 butts in the seats rule has remained unchanged, but that the requirement for 5 home games against I-A opponents has been reduced to 4 for the next 2 years.
Back to the top

With all the hoopla surrounding the 15000 seat issue, I'd guess they would alter that instead of the 5 D1-A games.

The NCAA money making big picture, is still in getting lower level attendance schools OUT of D1-A and back into D1-AA.
Back to the top

To be 1-A eligible, we need to play at least 5 home games against 1-A teams. The only teams that will play us are in the sunbelt so, look for 5 games vs.

Louisiana Layfayette (Ragin Cajuns)

Louisiana Monroe (Indians)

Arkansas State (Indians)

Troy State (Trojans)

Middle Tennessee State (Blue Raiders…sound familiar?)

North Texas (Mean Green)

Idaho (Vandals)

I believe we will host everyone except for N. Texas and Idaho (the class of the league and the farthest away). Plus we will be hosting FIU in Pro Player.
Back to the top

To be 1-A eligible, we need to play at least 5 home games against 1-A teams. The only teams that will play us are in the sunbelt so, look for 5 games vs.

Louisiana Layfayette (Ragin Cajuns)

Louisiana Monroe (Indians)

Arkansas State (Indians)

Troy State (Trojans)

Middle Tennessee State (Blue Raiders…sound familiar?)

North Texas (Mean Green)

Idaho (Vandals)

I believe we will host everyone except for N. Texas and Idaho (the class of the league and the farthest away). Plus we will be hosting FIU in Pro Player.

The 5 home games against 1-A opponents has been reduced to 4 home games against 1-A opponents. The 5 home game deal will not go into effect for another 2 years. By that time you guys and FIU should be up and running. Rumors around here are that FAU will come here to play but you never know til it is officially released which the target date for our schedule release is National Signing Day (2/4/04).
Back to the top

Don't count on Troy State coming down here immediately, although I would like to see them close to home.

The Trojans need to get more home games, after traveling a lot during the past three years. The great new stadium is a bit under-used.

http://www.gotroystate.com/mgvs.html

>>It's interesting that Alabama is playing both FIU and FAU in the same year. <<

FAU can make a name for itself without playing Miami. Out-of-state schools will take the chance, while in-state schools have a lot more to lose.

For example, Bama and Auburn will not play Troy State (in recent years, Troy would have had a chance at winning). Now they'll play FIU? Auburn seems to like I-AA Western Carolina and some Louisiana teams.

Even UAB has backed out of a Troy series, after getting shell-shocked last year.

But the Trojans have managed to schedule South Carolina, Marshall, LSU, Missouri (at home) and one or two other powers for next year; have played Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas State, Miss. State (Troy win), Virginia, Utah State (win); and will play Florida, Georgia, Arkansas and UCF in the coming years.
Back to the top
Control functions: