Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt shifting again?

This was posted on the SunBelt fan forum. Interesting reading. Notice North Texas is mentioned as a replacement in C-USA. That will open up some very interesting options.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/7778576.htm

FAMU really need to get their act together as far as joining a conference. When this thing bottom out they may be a team on the outside looking in. FAMU's schedule is far from complete. Apparently their "handshake" with the big boys wasn't enough during the initial discussions. Rumors are that only 2 D1-A games are set in stone. Their own web site have 5 possibly 7 total games set already.
They need to call FAU. That would be a great tool for both schools both financially and publicity wise.
Back to the top

Sun Belt shifting again?

FAMU in the SBC would be very interesting. FAU and FIU would probably love it, as FAMU would probably travel very well and they have supporters throughout the state. However, I've heard that the school is very far behind in its transition to 1-A….Should be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Back to the top

Sun Belt shifting again?

They are light years BEHIND in the transition to D1-A. They still are tugging over the cart and horse issues.
Glad to say that the finances are in order. They got a clean bill from the state a few weeks ago.

Supposedly small power struggles are currently taking place.
They just need to get on the same page INTERNALLY and they'll be OK.
Back to the top

Sun Belt shifting again?

I think the most likely set up is how Wright Waters predicted it would be–a 12-team conference with a Louisiana school to be determined and without Idaho and Denver.

That Louisiana school is Louisiana-Monroe who will be a full member once Idaho goes to the WAC.

With that said, this is how I anticipate the Sun Belt looking.

Full Members:

North Texas
Arkansas State
Louisiana-Monroe
Louisiana-Lafayette
Troy State
Middle Tennessee State
Florida Intenational
Florida Atlantic

Non-Football Members:

Western Kentucky
Arkansas-Little Rock
South Alabama
New Orleans

It may happen that FAMU will back out of their 1-A commitment which they can still do. They haven't exactly began construction on expansion of facilities, so it's not too late to remain in 1-AA.
Back to the top

Sun Belt shifting again?

Sun Belt shifting again?

So you believe that No Texas will reject the offer if it's extended?
Are any of the Non Football member schools considering the move to D1-A? I thought WKU was looking at it last year?

There are some FAMU alumni who also feel that they should back out of this D1-A move gracefully. The admin is still looking at firing the HC because he disagrees with the move.
Back to the top

Sun Belt shifting again?

I've talk to some FAMU Alumni's and they supported the move to D-1A, I know they have talked about the move for a very long time before the decision was made to move up to D-1A. I also agree that they appears to be a major power struggle going on. They need to set their EGO'S aside and get things done. FAMU will have a difficult time making a transition as an Independent, Notre Dame is a unique case.

I don't care at what level you play either D1-A or D-1AA you need a conference affiliation for any long term success. I say good luck to FAMU in the future.

Back to the top

Sun Belt shifting again?

O.G. Owl, I don't even think North Texas will receive an invite by CUSA or the WAC.

CUSA will most likely take La Tech, but could look more eastward for travel partners for Marshall, East Carolina, and Central Florida.

The WAC is positioning itself totally in the West. By inviting Utah State and New Mexico State over any other Sun Belt teams, they make travel worse for La Tech. That to me is a sign that the WAC wants Tech out, even though they deny that.

Besides, North Texas alone won't help the WAC maintain it's votes in NCAA Committee because the number of baseball/softball schools would drop by one if La Tech leaves and then the WAC won't have enough full members that sponsor those sports in order to meet NCAA mandates. North Texas does not have baseball and softball.

UNT would only cut into the slice of pie on the WAC members' TV revenue and not deliver them the added sports they would need.

What the WAC will ultimately need to do is get some of it's full members who do not have these sports to spnsor them. That will be their only option. That or try to lure Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette which they will never ever ever be able to do!
Back to the top

Sun Belt shifting again?

That or try to lure Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette which they will never ever ever be able to do!

I sure hope not. I would NOT want to see my school in the WAC, even if UNT and ASU were added also.
Back to the top
Control functions: