Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAMU back to D1-AA...Wow!!!!!

Add topic

A lot of people will be looking for answers on this one. Most posters on their messsage board has been against the move to D1-A from day 1.
Poor planning and "previous financial responsibilties" are the main reason for their discontent.

Now they need the MEAC more than ever to help them right this ship. Bad blood was flowing a few months ago between the two.
Hopefully it's all behind them now.

Florida A&M President Asks for Slowdown

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) – Florida A&M president Fred Gainous has recommended that the school's trustees delay their decision to move the football program to Division I-A.

Gainous, who has been president of the school for 19 months, plans to meet with trustees Monday about pulling back from an announced plan to move up from I-AA this fall.

"The proposed move to Division I-A has the greatest potential to threaten our capacity to carry out our great mission," he told trustees in an e-mail obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat.

Gainous cited a desire to devote more financial resources to academic programs. At least two trustees support Gainous' notion.

"It would be hard for me to see a situation where I would not support his recommendation," trustee Randy Hanna said Sunday.

Added trustee R.B. Holmes: "I think it is a good idea to go to Division I-A, but I think we need more time."

Holmes said he still thinks FAMU should move up to Division I-A eventually, but not until the school's athletic facilities have been upgraded and the financial support of boosters has been strengthened.

Holmes also recommends that FAMU remain a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference in all sports, including football. He said the school should put together a master plan for the next seven to 10 years before making another effort to move to Division I-A.

The decision to move up from Division I-AA cost football head coach Billy Joe several Division I-A transfers last summer because of newly toughened NCAA transfer rules.

The university has been under pressure from the Board of Governors, which oversees all 11 of Florida's public universities, for sloppy accounting practices. Gainous hired a new vice president for finance less than two weeks ago.

Back to the top

This is a good move for them, will give them a chace to
get their act together and put a game plane together
to make the move to D-1A later. Taking a hard road
to D-1A. I wonder if they will have a hard time
scheduling games this late, then again they probably were having a hard getting D-1A games scheduled anyway, should be interesting how that plays out.
Back to the top

They really do need to get their act together. The HC never wanted to move anyway. He lost his top transfers last year and now the Admin changes their minds ???

They were having some serious troubles with the schedule already. The AD falsely put together a schedule and teams who were listed already had booked games for those dates!

I really feel for the players in this situation. Imagine the upcoming sr's feeling the negatives this year.
Back to the top

The AD they brought in to make the transition to D-1A
Resigned and now the board of trustee's have made it official - FAMU is back to D-1AA and are trying to get
back into the MEAC conference.

They have kept the coaches and players in the dark about this fiasco. A lot of players are talking about leaving the program, the instanbility of the school has many worried. I just hope that they can regroup quickly enough to minimize the damage. I know there are still some D-1AA schools with open dates, but those are going quickly. I would assume that some of those schools would rather schedule a D-1AA school over a D-II or D-III
Back to the top

It is my understanding that FAMU has been contacted by several DII schools already. They would like to fill up the spots with D1-AA but they need to move quickly!
Back to the top

Looks like FAMU scheduling problems continue.

Oklahoma Cancel their game with FAMU and
Virgina Tech & Illinios both ask for waivers with NCAA
to count any win against FAMU to count as a D-1A game
victory for bowl-eligibility beyond the 1-4 option.

Here is another question, since we have tenatives games scheduled against FAMU in 2004away-2005home
was this done before FAMU decided to move back to
D-1AA or after and if so, is that going to make a difference. Since the coaches seem to want to schedule D-1-A games only.

Maybe we can play the FAMU 2004(away) game as a home game to help meet the attendance issue.
Back to the top

More News from FAMU Land:

Quotes from FAMU news release:

"In a memo sent to the FAMU board of trustees Wednesday, Gainous said the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Council of Chief Executives had accepted FAMU's letter of readmission into the conference.

Gainous said the acceptance was contingent, however, on the the NCAA's notification of FAMU's criteria for reclassifying back to Division I-AA in football."

They will be releasing their Football schedule next week.
I guest so much for their scheduling woes.
Back to the top

Here is an article about how some FAMU Alumni's
feel about going back to D-1AA.

http://www.thefamuan.com/news/2004/02/18/News/Alumni.React.To.IA.Decision-610211.shtml
Back to the top

Why didn't they look to the Sun Belt for help?? It would have made the transition much easier.
Back to the top

Beleive it or not, the ex-AD thumbed his nose at the SunBelt! Criticized attendanec and bowl possibilities while failing to realize that it was a starting point for some of the current BE and CUSA schools!
He wanted the Bg East or C-USA right off the bat. He mislead them down this path but now he's gone.

Hopefully they will get it right for the next try at moving up.
Back to the top
Control functions: