Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

This Guy has been great for FAU!!!

Athletics Receives First Scholarship Donation
Community Leader and Area Realtor Joe Balistreri Open 2004 with a $7500 Check for Athletic Scholarships

March 29, 2004

BOCA RATON - Community leader and area realtor Joe Balistreri, of Balistreri Reality, presented a check to Florida Atlantic University Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger at the 2004 awards banquet and challenged others to join his efforts towards building scholarship opportunity through intercollegiate athletics.

"Joe (Balistreri) has been an outstanding supporter of the FAU Athletics Family for a long time," FAU's Athletics Director Craig Angelos said. "We are very appreciative of his efforts in stepping up to be the first donor for athletics scholarships. We hope others will join him as we work together to eventually raise enough funds on an annual basis to support all of our athletic scholarship needs."

Balistreri became a Football Founder during the initial stages of the program. He has been a true creative leader throughout the five year process. He may be know for providing the sound at the first scrimmages, when there was no power available on the Oxley Fields, for organizing tailgate parties, helping with both women's soccer and softball events, and being an integral part of the Owl Club Committee that host the annual Football Banquet.

Since becoming involved with the program, Balistreri has bounced ideas off head coach Howard Schnellenberger in an interest of generating fan support. During the Owls historical run to the NCAA Semi-Finals, Balistreri teamed with his brother Jim to underwrite tickets to anyone wishing to come to the final two football games.

Their efforts paid-off with an outstanding crowd for the FAU vs. Colgate Semi-Final Game televised nationally on ESPN.

Balistreri's generosity continued in the coming weeks as a sponsor of the Gridiron Club Award bestowed to the Senior MVP. He has sponsored this award the first two seasons and presented it to middle linebacker Quentin Swain this past January.

Prior to the conclusion of the 2004 banquet, Balistreri presented a $7500 check to the Owl Club earmarked for scholarship and challenged others to do the same. Once again, his vision proved on target recognizing the need for additional scholarships to continue FAU Athletics drive towards new heights and more success.

"Joe Balistreri continues to be most generous to FAU football, this latest scholarship gift is just the most recent act that he has done," said Schnellenberger. "Joe as well as myself hope that this gift will encourage others to step forward to help Florida Atlantic athletes and their scholastic opportunities."
Back to the top

Publix also got involved with the ticket drive last year. I really believe that other vendors and merchants will see the urgency of this D1-A drive and step up to the plate!

I still say a big part of this is to embrace the students with on campus gimmicks,giveaways,whatever!!!
They need to get to the games at Lockhart. We don't have the luxury of them rolling out of bed and walking across campus…..Not yet anyway :)
Back to the top

I say partner up with all the elementary, middle, and high schools... get the kids used to cheering for the Owls as they grow up. Plus if a kid has a voucher for something free that they want to go to, most parents have a VERY hard time saying NO!!
Back to the top

Funny you mention that, youth groups/programs will be targeted as part of the new marketing efforts. Players will be visiting, lecturing, signing autographs, etc..
on a set day (Mondays) before a home game for that reason.

Please dady, please can I go to the game, please!! ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: