Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Live QB during scrimmage or Not.

Here's an interesting question to all you football minds out there. Scrimmages only. Not regular practices.
Would you go live with the QB during scrimmages?

The main reasons for both sides of the arguments:
Yes-They will get hit in games.
No- Can't chance as injury in scrimmages.

What are your feelings on this?
Back to the top

Yes, I would. Put him in an off-color jersey to remind everyone that there will be no late hits, etc. But he needs to get some contact before the season starts. Further, he needs to shake the off-season's mental cobwebs – and nothing will help more than a couple of 290-pound guys bearing down on him. Injuries, though regrettable, are a risk of the preparation for the season.

[Please note: If he gets injured, I will deny ever writing this.]
Back to the top

[Please note: If he gets injured, I will deny ever writing this.]

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) That's a good one!
Back to the top

i say put a skirt on all of them if they don't want contact. :-*
Back to the top

Skirt on a football player, hhmmm!!! Don't think so. ;)

I've ask myself that same question as to why they don't allow contrat during scrimmages games. It would seem to make sense that it would prepare the QB for live action, yet how do you question the experience that's on the coaching staff and if some of you have been to some of the practices know they is some serious hitting goin on. Wear and tear on the QB - I don't know.

Back to the top

This is a tough one. Go with full contact even with the colored jersey and they still may get hurt.
Colored jersey and the defense pulls up after roughing him up a bit?

Non-contact for the QB and ask yourself, are they really in shape for the opposition?

They do have the summer to heal.. :D
Back to the top

Its good for the QB to get hit a little during practice, and from what I have seen and heard, we have more than capable backups. Just don't do anything to the QB that would cost you 15yds during the game.
Back to the top

....or some extra crabbing from Coach Schnell. ;)
Back to the top

IMO during practice drills its a good idea to give the QB a colored jersey and tone it down, especially with new guys or new plays. When you have a blown assignment or play at practice the coachs tend to shut it down pretty quick. During a live scrimmage its played out more and even then not as much as a game situation. This is a contact sport and it is important for the QB to feel that pressure as well as the coach when evaluating on how he handles it. It also helps the Defense sharpen his skills and improve his aggressivness. Many schools use refs during live scrimmages and it does help in keeping the number of injuries down. Even during the scrimmages the QB will still wear a special colored jersey to keep the defense from tearing off his head.
Back to the top
Control functions: