Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

An Owl in the NFL

An Owl in the NFL

Brian Pare Signs Contact with the Chicago Bears
Pare is the first Owl to earn a pro contract

May 3, 2004

BOCA RATON, FL -

Brian Pare signed a contract with the Chicago Bears to become the first Florida Atlantic University football player to receive an NFL contract.

Pare was contacted last Tuesday by a Bears' scout. He forwent his college graduation Friday to fly to Chicago where he joined in practice and was offered a contract, which he signed Saturday morning.

"We are happy that Brian impressed the NFL and that he signed a contract with the Bears," said FAU Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger. "There is no doubt he is the most consistent long snapper that I have had."

Pare, a Spanish River High School graduate, will return to Chicago May 16 and begin workouts with the team May 17.

"The experience has been awesome," said Pare. "I always wanted to try to snap in the snow. I guess I will have a chance."

Pare came to FAU in the Spring of 2002 after transferring from LSU, where he participated in 13 games including the Peach Bowl. He joined FAU during "Spring Drills" and won the starting long snapper position on a team beginning its second season of play. Pare broke his jaw in the 2002 season opener and was sidelined the remainder of the season, however two days after the compound injury, he was back at practice helping to teach his vacated position. Pare returned to the field in 2003 and was an integral part of the team that finished with an 11-3 record and a no. 4 national ranking.

Pare was the one person to long snap for FAU in 2004 and did not allow a block in 49 PAT attempts, 15 field goal attempts and 75 punts.

Pare's NFL camp experience will be chronicled at www.fausports.com beginning May 17.

Back to the top

An Owl in the NFL

That's great. I wish him the very best. (Would he have been eligible to play for the Owls this fall?)
Back to the top

An Owl in the NFL

He just brought a new spotlight on the remaining seniors for next season.

Good Luck Brian
Back to the top

An Owl in the NFL

grayowl, he would not have been eligible, he was outstanding as a LS and will be truely missed.

IMO, he will find success in the NFL and should make some scout look at FAU in the future. Great coaches, great athletes always a good combination.
Back to the top
Control functions: