Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sunbelt membership question

Add topic

i saw the sunbelt media release late last year said that the includion of the other FAU sports will be at a later date, does that mean the 2005-2006 season?

:-X
Back to the top

Yes. We will be fully into the SunBelt by 2006.
Back to the top

FAU will be full nto the sunbelt in the fall of 2006. SO for baseball the first year will be 2007.
Back to the top

I remember reading somewhere that they are trying to get FAU to join other sports sooner rather than later. I just really can't remember where I read that. It would be interesting.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top

The NCAA is saying two years for the transitional period.
Football starts the time-clock this fall: 2004-2005
The second year is 2005-2006 for completion.

Maxx, I also heard that the move may be earlier than 2006 for some FAU teams.
I really don't see any reasons why Basketball this year, and Softball/Baseball next year(2005) cannot play a SunBelt schedule.

Back to the top

if you guys find any links on that i'd like to read 'em. you mentioned FAU basketball, will they play sunbelt ball this season(2004-2005) or next season (2005-2006)?

:o
Back to the top

This is part of the text from trhe December 4th Sun Belt acceptance speech.

FAU Athletic Director, Craig Angelos
"Next year we talked about playing a Sun Belt schedule which would be about seven or eight games in football as we go through our two-year transition period from I-AA to I-A. Football will be playing a full schedule next year. It is still to be determined if the other sports will enter the Sun Belt in 2005 or 2006. We are trying to work with the Atlantic Sun Conference also to try to figure out the best time period for the other sports to move. Swimming does not have a Championship in the Atlantic Sun so it is possible that they could go in next year also. We will just have to see if it is '05 or '06.

So nothing concrete is there as far as timetables. But the football team will carry the torch this year. The other teams will have the same opportunity to move as quickly as possible to join the league.

My gut feel is that Basketball will move rather quickly from the A-Sun into the SunBelt. It carries a lot more weight and the recruits will bite a little more. Obviousy we have to buy out some contracts. It will be kind of hard to rationalize doing it(buy out) for football and not for basketball.
Back to the top

Basketball will not be quick to move to the Sun Belt-in fact it will be the last to move. It is the only sport we cant move now because of the ASUN and the NCAA. We cant start play in the SUn Belt till 2006-07 school year because if we start any earlier the Atlantic Sun conference will be stripped of its automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. That bid is everything to the ASUN-the ASUN and all its members will be expecting huge financial payments from FAU due to the devastating financial loss it would bring them. FAU(and the ASUN) is trying to convince the NCAA to be reasonable and let FAU go sooner without taking the ASUN's bid away but dont hold your breath the NCAA isnt known for being reasonable.
Back to the top

Basketball will not be quick to move to the Sun Belt-in fact it will be the last to move. It is the only sport we cant move now because of the ASUN and the NCAA. We cant start play in the SUn Belt till 2006-07 school year because if we start any earlier the Atlantic Sun conference will be stripped of its automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. That bid is everything to the ASUN-the ASUN and all its members will be expecting huge financial payments from FAU due to the devastating financial loss it would bring them. FAU(and the ASUN) is trying to convince the NCAA to be reasonable and let FAU go sooner without taking the ASUN's bid away but dont hold your breath the NCAA isnt known for being reasonable.

Good points. I only talked about the financial repercussions and totally forgot about the Automatic Bid from the A-Sun.
Back to the top
Control functions: