Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UNF Looking to Move to D1

Possible future opponent…? "School officials have expressed interest in starting a football program, though it would not come immediately, as some have expected with a move to Division I"

http://www.jacksonvill…050904/spo_15559760.shtml

Go Owls!

Back to the top

Maybe they should consider football into the mix right from jump. Ed Waters(NAIA) and JU already have the edge for football athletes. UNF really have to hit the ground running if they want to get into the gridiron game. It may be the most expensive to start up but we all know about the financial returns.

I'm sure that FAU would help them out as far as scheduling. Look at what we're doing for Ed Waters this year.
Back to the top

If they do decide to move to D-1 and start a football program, they could actually use the 5-year probation period to get the funds & facilities built and have the team ready to play at the D-1 level right off the bat.

It's rather interesting how so many schools are making the move to D-1 from a D-II classification.
Back to the top

There are a few out there which have made the switch. I'm interested to see how Northern Colorado do in their move to D1-AA. Scheduling shouldn't be a problem and
they have a pretty decent team already.

I hope UNF is looking at D1-AA also. Florida can use another D1-AA school.
Back to the top

northern colorado is a joke, they didn't play anyone other then FAU that was anywhere close to being good. There offense is soley based on the running game and its not hard to rack up the yardage when playing division two teams.
Back to the top

Is that like saying FAU only had a good record and went to the playoffs for playing other D1-AA teams.. ???

Well relatively speaking they were a DII team playing agains other DII teams. Does that lessen their accomplishments? Before you answer that one remember that we(D1-AA) only won 21-19. Remember the jump ball on the final play at the 2 yard line as time expired. :o
One more play and they could have kicked the FG and won.
As for the running offense. Their offense also had a pretty decent record setting 6'6 WR.
Back to the top

I believe Northern Colorado played 5 I-AA teams last year (including FAU) and won 3 out of 5. I think they'll do fine in I-AA..They looked pretty solid last year. Typical midwestern style of football…Great game.

I think it would be tough for UNF to find a solid D-1A football niche with FSU and UF nearby. I'd like to see them in I-AA where they would probably do well (and take some of Georgia Southern's recruits) but it sounds like they are shooting for the top. Doesn't matter to me…just more football to watch!

Back to the top

the other 1aa teams they played were suspect, all 35+ in the rankings, if that.
Back to the top

the other 1aa teams they played were suspect, all 35+ in the rankings, if that.
Are you just yanking our chains on this one. :P
Man we ONLY won by 2 points.

Did you go to the game? Big physical team. Even Coach Schnell compared them to the Arizona Cardinals.

Back to the top

I agree that the Northern Colorado game was tough last year. The outcome could have gone either way. I think that team will be well motivated against the Owls, especially at home in Greeley, Colo. We are the homecoming opponent.

I think I recall reading that the AD at Northern Colorado recently left, though, for Northern Arizona. If this has any impact on the team, I would expect it to not be this season, but (perhaps) later. Northern Colorado had size and strength. It does a pretty job of moping up on recruiting in the Denver area after Colorado and Colorado State pick through.

The Northern Colorado web site says five players from the 2004 team have signed deals with NFL teams. Most are free agent deals.
Back to the top
Control functions: