Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Help me understand.....

Add topic

why KC kept Horst in the game as long as he did? I'll be interested to see if KC mentions anything about it in his DD post today. Granted Horst had an decent day as DH going 2-4 with 1 run scored, but the guy is in obvious pain from an earlier injury to his knee. We were up 11-0 going into the 4th…17-0 when Horst came up for his 4th AB (much to my surprise) until KC mercifully put Hafer in to PR for Horst after he got his second hit. Could it be Horsey was insisting to be kept in to be a part of the slugfest? Surely his offensive threat wasn't needed at that time and why risk further injury with regional play coming up? Why not rest the knee and get the guy ready for the next critical game where his threat will be needed rather than keeping him in a game already in hand?
I was thinking of the other players on the bench who would have loved being in this game as well. I'm sure Hafer would have liked playing defense, but instead he was relegated to DH and KC moves Widlansky to 1st base when he pulls Rusty mid-inning for the well deserved recognition. I think Lauth wasn't in uniform so maybe he is injured and I suppose Fons is still recooping from the dehydration episode. That leaves Thoms as the only other position player that didn't see action. I don't get it and I thought it was the only stinky part of a great experience for "most" of the TEAM.
Back to the top

Help me understand.....

Help me understand.....

Well, no mention of Horst' condition or KC's thinking in pushing his luck on risking further injury to a key offensive weapon in KC's DD post.
He did, however, give well deserved accolades to Brannon for stepping in and stepping up to the task at SS. Personally, I see the performance of "Soup" as one of the keys to the success of the Owls in the A-Sun series. The Owls had only two E's in the four games played and one of those was on a pick-off attempt. I said previously that the only thing keeping Fons in the lineup was his outstanding batting avg. because he's leading the team in E's and the records will show that the E's, along with pitching failure, have been instrumental in our L's this season.
We have seen the Blue Wave demonstrate the "big three"…Strong pitching, E-less defense and hot bats… along with aggressive base running to give FAU their first A-Sun Championship. Let's keep it going into the Regional. Go Owls!
Back to the top

Help me understand.....

n, though, I don't know what you mean by the coach's DD post. How do I find that? Many thanks.
Back to the top

Help me understand.....

It's on the official FAU sports site. There's a link on the right side of the home page.
Back to the top

Help me understand.....

Go to:Florida Atlantic Owls Official Athletic Site - Florida Atlantic University
and click on Diamond Diary by Coach Cooney on the right. He does a great job of providing his insights into each game/series and often gets very personal in his insights (i.e. his son as a pitcher in the not too distant past).
Back to the top
Control functions: