Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Basketball signs two more

Add topic

Basketball signs two more

Men's Basketball Signs Two
List of newcomers grows to six.

June 1, 2004

BOCA RATON, FL - Florida Atlantic University head men's basketball coach Sidney Green has announced Andrew Lomond and Derrick Simmons have signed National Letters of Intent to play basketball for the Owls beginning with the 2004-05 season.

Lomond is a 6-7, 245 center who most recently attended Toronto Academy Prep School (TAPS) in Toronto, Ontario. Last year, the Scarborough, Ontario, native averaged 20 points, 10 rebounds, and two blocks per game. Two years ago as a senior at Jean Vanier High School, Lomond averaged 18 points and eight rebounds.

Simmons comes to FAU after a standout career at Lake Wales High School. The 6-6, 200 forward averaged 18 points and nine rebounds per game as a senior. He was named Third-Team All-State 4A and First-Team All-Polk County.

The addition of Lomond and Simmons, who will be freshmen next season, brings to six the number of newcomers signed by FAU since the early signing period.

"I'm excited by this year's recruiting class," said Green. "We were able to address many of our needs with quality student athletes. A lot of hard work and dedication was put in by my staff, headed by associate head coach Ken Huber. I think these six players make up one of the best classes FAU has ever signed."

Gavin Ludgood (Jr, F, 6-7, 245, Clarksville, AR/Arkansas-Fort Smith), Tywain McTyer (Fr, G, 6-0, 185, Las Vegas, NV/Durango HS), Rodney Webb (Jr, F, 6-7, 220, Long Beach, CA/Long Beach City College), and Quinton Young (Jr, G, 6-3, 170, River Grove, IL/Triton JC) have also signed with FAU.

"The foundation of FAU basketball is solid, and the future appears to be brighter than ever," added Green.

Back to the top
Control functions: