Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

green is here to stay

Add topic

green is here to stay

an article from todays palmbeach post. I'm so tired of this guy trying to get out of FAU. I wish we just fire his ass already. How many overtime games did the team lose this year? How many games did we lose by less then five points? Thats's the coaching not the talent on the floor.
Green if you happen to read this why don't you spend a little more time on the court and not so much on the phone looking for work.

And if Mr. Angelos happens to read this…Lets go get Matt Doherty. He was willing to go to James Madison a non1A football conference.
There will be a ton of better coaches looking to coach a school in a 1A football program.

Justin Dirico 02'
[email protected]

Green to stay on as FAU coach

By Marcus Nelson, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 10, 2004

BOCA RATON – A finalist for an assistant coaching position with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, Florida Atlantic basketball coach Sidney Green will remain at the school after Cleveland hired Utah Jazz assistant Kenny Natt on Wednesday.

"I'm looking forward to this season and I'm committed to Florida Atlantic University," Green said. "My dream is to become an NBA head coach, but I still have work to do here."

FAU was 9-19 last season and is 44-104 overall in five seasons at FAU.

Green was one of three finalists to be the top assistant to Paul Silas, who was an assistant with the Knicks when Green was a player in New York in the early 1990s. Green said the team called him expressing interest. Former Toronto Raptors coach Brendan Malone was the other finalist.

"This wasn't another school at the same level. This was someone who I dearly admire and I respect that contacted me," Green said of Silas. "He wanted me to come in with him and talk about basketball and then indicated there was a possibility of a position on his coaching staff."

Green's interest in the Cavaliers' job wasn't the first time he has interviewed for other jobs. Following the best season in school history, when he took the Owls to their first NCAA Tournament in 2001-02, Green was a finalist for the vacancy at DePaul and last year was a finalist for the job at Cal State Fullerton.

"I don't spend all day calling people, but if I am contacted by someone and I get to talk about it with my superiors and they give me permission to pursue it, I would like to go and listen to what they have to say," Green said.

Back to the top

green is here to stay

I have to admit, I was kind of hoping that the Cavs would hire Green also. He seems to be a nice guy and all, but I do believe that the program might be better off with a new coach. The 44-104 record cannot be ignored forever. I feel that the program missed a huge opportunity right after the NCAA appearance when the program did not recruit anyone. Green missed a small window when FAU Basketball was being viewed as an up and coming program. Since then, they have regressed. I hope that if Green is here to stay he can right the ship, but one more season of 20 losses and something will have to be done.
Back to the top

green is here to stay

Pierre Tucker
Kahleaf Watson
Mike Bell
Gavin Ludgood
Robert Williams

We only need one guard spot to fill here. This is great Mid Magor team. Mike Bell is setting up to be player of the year in the A-Sun if he gets some help and good coaching. Pierre and Kahleaf are solid and Gavin Ludgood will make a solid impact.

In Mid Major programs its 90% coaching and 10% talent. Everyone is on par to a degree.

If Sydney Green can't get it done with this crew he won't be able to get it done anywhere.

I'm sure Lebron was really pulling for him………..
Back to the top

green is here to stay

Looking at it from his point of view I can understand the interviews. Like he publically states, the NBA is his apparent goal. Can't blame him for being honest.

From FAU's standpoint I'll have to say It's getting old! He seems to be unhappy by even accepting the interviews in the 1st place. There are a lot of coaches who really like college ball and will not accept an NBA position.
Who's to say that he want take an asst job just to get back in the league?

But I agree, another season like the last one and he'll have all the time he need to go on interviews.
Back to the top

green is here to stay

lol.. with greens record here at FAU im suprised any NBA team would be looking at him.. Florida has some athletic talent and he cant pull together a team that can have a winning season.... I think he needs to get his crap together here and start winning some games before he even thinks about coaching in the NBA
Back to the top
Control functions: