Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU player charged with attempted murder

Tuesday, July 6, 2004

Associated Press
MIAMI – A Florida International football player pistol-whipped another student during an on-campus robbery attempt, and when the victims tried to drive away, a player shot out a window of their car, according to a police report Tuesday.

Everett Baker, 20, was charged with attempted murder for firing into an occupied car. He also was charged with two counts of armed robbery, possession of a weapon on school grounds and two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, all felonies.

Two other football players, Randy Arnold, 20, and Diamos DeMerritt, 21, were also charged with six felonies for the weekend attempted robbery. Two other suspects remained at large Tuesday.

Campus police officials Tuesday didn't know – and it was unclear in the report – which players are accused of pistol-whipping the victims and whether the two at-large suspects are also football players.

Baker, Arnold and DeMerritt were being held without bond at a Miami-Dade County jail. Their next hearing is set for July 26.

FIU athletic officials didn't immediately return a call Tuesday seeking comment. Athletic director Rick Mello said Monday that "we're extremely disappointed" and that "appropriate action" will be taken after an investigation. Florida International is moving up to Division I-A this season after two seasons in Division I-AA.

The players have been assigned attorneys by the Miami-Dade County public defender's office, which had no comment Tuesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1835217
Back to the top

Unfortunately, these hard-headed athletes don't realize that college is a privilege not a right. If that were the case, then we'd all be at Yale, Princeton, or Harvard ::)
I say, if guilty, kick their butts off the team and out of the school because if you keep them there, then you send false messages to the rest of the team and the other colleges out there.
Back to the top

I say, if guilty, kick their butts off the team and out of the school because if you keep them there, then you send false messages to the rest of the team and the other colleges out there

The justice system will see to that anyway. Those are some VERY serious charges. These guys must really be very UNGRATEFUL for the opportunity which FIU has given them.

A mind is a terrible thing ……
Back to the top

I Believe FIU will take the same aproach that Miam did with Williams, wait for the court to make a decision then react.

Sometimes we don't know or appreciate what we have till it gone and then it's to late.

It's a shame, they are a lot of people that would love to have the chance they had.
Back to the top
Control functions: