Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

article on dome stadium 2007...

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040726/NEWS/407260387/1002/SPORTS

was posted over at the ucf board. a little disapointed they're going with the dome. would have rather seen an out door stadium for football, and a smaller basketball stadium.
Back to the top

"You can't win a national title in the Sun Belt Conference. You can't win it in Conference USA either," he said. "Someone is going to be interested in a competitive team in South Florida with a domed stadium."
========================================

Hmmm. Seems that FAU already feels they're too good for the "poor little" Sun Belt. Not even fully classified as 1A and already wanting to get away from the common folks. Guess the Owls new motto is "Just passin' thru".

Back to the top

"You can't win a national title in the Sun Belt Conference. You can't win it in Conference USA either," he said. "Someone is going to be interested in a competitive team in South Florida with a domed stadium."
========================================

Hmmm. Seems that FAU already feels they're too good for the "poor little" Sun Belt. Not even fully classified as 1A and already wanting to get away from the common folks. Guess the Owls new motto is "Just passin' thru".

I know we/FAU are going to get GRILLED because of that comment. The Sun Belt was nice enough to extend the invitation to us and also fight for the attendance issues. The timing of the comment may be the worse from Coach in a while. But he does speak his mind.
:-[ :-X
Back to the top

I live not far from FAU and believe a domed stadium is not necessary.

Re: the rain … FAU is near the coast, east of I-95. Thunderstorms there are much more infrequent than out west (every day), or in Orlando. I'll give you August and September, but October and November are pretty dry overall.

It will have to be air-conditioned and would really help the basketball and other programs. Could baseball play in there?

I have read nothing about this in the South Florida media. A donation of $30 million would be a huge story. The story that resulted in this thread came from Lakeland. Odd.

FAU would be better served with a nice 30,000-seat outdoor stadium (similar to Movie Gallery in Troy, which was built with a relatively small budget).

See:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.palmswestpr…_03/TSU_Foot_09_27_03.htm

The weather would be great for football and TV shots inb October and November.

Palm Beach County (1.5 million people) needs a major outdoor stadium for everything from major high school games to the Sunshine Games, Olympic trials and training, equestrian (major sport here) events and even a small (but growing) college bowl game. FAU should partner with the Palm Beach County school district and county commission to build a nice, comfortable outdoor stadium a little north of FAU, closer to West Palm Beach.

Finally, I hope Howard's comment were misquoted. I know it might be a longshot, but why wouldn't a SunBelt, Mac, new BigEast, C-USA or other team be considered for a title if it was undefeated and knocked off a few major programs in one year?

Back to the top

IMHO… 8-)

Lakeland getting the story? The meeting was held next door in Orlando. I hope someone from Broward and Palm Beach were there.

This dome is for football, basketball, track tennis etc. I don't think baseball is included. Maybe have practices or something.

You mention two of the key months of rain. Aug and Sept. You can lose quiet a few days of practice in August and September. The most critical game reps are all in September in the early part of the season. They also lost some key offseason drills recently. These can be done inside when the dome is completed.

Troy have a very nice stadium. We should have an interesting visit there for your homecomming.

The BCS will not allow anyone other than their "appointed" conferences to play for the title. Remember TCU?
But I have to agree if the conferences you mentioned knocked off a few BCS teams.
It will get a notice to the league that anyone should get a shot at the title.
Back to the top

The "new" big east still gets an Automatic BCS, so its really not in the same postition that the MAC, Sunbelt, C-USA, etc.. are in.

With the limited amount of land area to build on, the dome makes sense because it will multi-task.
Back to the top

I look forward to Troy's Homecoming, especially because FAU is the opponent.

Two years ago, because of a monsoon storm, the game was crummy (no parade, no halftime, no bands, washed out tailgating, stadium under demolishion), but FAU gave the Trojans a contest. I told a bunch of Owl fans at the game I rooted with them for every game each year but the Troy game.

Any Owls who plan to attend this year's game should contact me. I'll hook you up with places and info to enjoy yourselves.

I was at the Colgate game last year and plan to attend a few games this year. I hope the rest of our area (especially former and commuter students) wakes up and starts getting behind the program.

Here's the greatest game ever played at Troy (last year) - the Marshall defeat:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

OH Noooo! They attacked the defenseless goal post ;D That place was packed for the Marshall game!

I was at the monsoon in Troy a few years back. I plan to go to this one because I know a little about your new RB Kenny Cattouse. He played with my cousin in high school.

Thanks for your support of the Owls. Hopefully the fans realize that we actually have a football team in the area.
Back to the top

Cattouse is supposed to be a real stud, from New Joisy. He has some rushing records there, I read. I wonder whether they will redshirt him? Troy has some depth at RB.

Rumor is, Troy's big recruit, D.T. McDowell (who broke his deal with Nebraska to come to Troy) hates the Anaheim Angles farm system and might come to Alabama after all. That would make out QB race a three-way affair at least and it would be exciting to see the offese surge (for a change).

Troy's D is supposed to be awesome this year.

Where were you in the monsoon? I was up behind the FAU volleyball (or was it softball?) team.

Both FAU and FIU (and to some extend USF and UCF) are in the same boat as Troy when it comes to winning fans, getting serious media attention, etc. It's a race to be No. 3 (or 4 in Florida) for now. Then worry about knocking off one of the big boys.

At least the Florida teams will play their in-state challengers. Bama and Auburn won't think about playing Troy, so Troy goes to even bigger (LSU, Nebraska, Florida, Florida State) programs outside the state.

Have you seen the FIU message board with all the talk about how FAU is doing it right by involving the players in the commnunity?

And … ask the UCF people how they like their on-campus stadium. Oh yeah, it's not there.

Back to the top

I was also behind the very vocal volleyball(I think) team. A little to their left and about 7 rows up.

I'll give the nod to USF as the #4 team. FAU and FIU will be knocking real soon on the door. I can see Coach Schnell getting game with one of the Big 3 by 2006.

I have seen FIU's board. Although we are a budding rivalry they cannot deny when FAU is doing something right. I pull for them whenever I can because we are joined at the hip for a few more years to come.

UCF home will always be the Citrus Bowl. They will just continue to hate on everyone who actually have or attempts to get their own.
::)
Back to the top
Control functions: