Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Field Turf

not a fan of the 'Dome stadium' that is in the works for the boca campus that will be used by the football and basketball team. i'd much rather a smaller outdoor football stadium be bulit and maybe update the current FAU gym for the basketball team(knock down the north wall of the current gym and build more seating / add seating to the south end, and then build a 20,000-30,000 seat outdoor stadium for REAL south florida football).

problem is noone is asking me and it seems the current FAU administration is convinced the dome is the way to go. so i was watching the falcon preseason game today and finally got a glimpse of the so-called feildturf. if we do have to go with the dome, at least install that stuff.

(link to info)

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/924/
Back to the top

Field Turf

The new synthetic turf is really nice.

Troy installed AstroPlay. I was amazed at how soft and bouncy the field was.

See:
http://www.troystate.com/news/02-03/fb061703.htm

This photo shows what was left of the goal posts after the Marshall game last year, but you can also see how the AstroPlay turf looks close up:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Field Turf

FIU also uses AstroPlay and so far it seems that everyone loves it.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top

Field Turf

Field Turf

are they set on this stadium? do they have plans to annouce it? I'm interested to see how its going to fit on with the airport and pbcc.
Back to the top

Field Turf

are they set on this stadium? do they have plans to annouce it? I'm interested to see how its going to fit on with the airport and pbcc.

As of the conversations yesterday(Fan Fest) with some folks in the know (don't we all have someone in the know when it comes to the unknown;D )the Dome is still on. FAU will settle for nothing less because the belief is that the Dome will be a major marketing tool for recruits and also a financial plus for the area.
The airport and PBCC? I don't know about that one.
Back to the top

Field Turf

after watching sunshine's "under the lights", i get the feeling the dome has more to do with local politics than recruits. my guess is with all the 'hoops' one has to jump through to get things built in Boca, especially something as big as a football stadium, you'd want to get the local commissioners behind you. my guess is they ran the idea by them first to see what they would be willing to except. the city probably has always wanted an indoor stadium for concerts and such that they were more likely to push that project along then an outdoor stadium. it would also eliminate the possibility for a similar basketball structure down the road, which the city probably doesn't want built.

but on the subject of recruits, why would an indoor facility attract them? my thoughts have always been indoor turfs have caused more injuries, obviously a deterrent for a college player with pro dreams. even with new and improved turf, i still don?t see why players would like an indoor football stadium? :P
Back to the top

Field Turf

after watching sunshine's "under the lights", i get the feeling the dome has more to do with local politics than recruits. my guess is with all the 'hoops' one has to jump through to get things built in Boca, especially something as big as a football stadium, you'd want to get the local commissioners behind you. my guess is they ran the idea by them first to see what they would be willing to except. the city probably has always wanted an indoor stadium for concerts and such that they were more likely to push that project along then an outdoor stadium. it would also eliminate the possibility for a similar basketball structure down the road, which the city probably doesn't want built.

but on the subject of recruits, why would an indoor facility attract them? my thoughts have always been indoor turfs have caused more injuries, obviously a deterrent for a college player with pro dreams. even with new and improved turf, i still don?t see why players would like an indoor football stadium? :P

Very perceptive on your part about politices! That's really it in a nutshell. To sell the quiet community to buy into a noisy stadium is a chore in itself. Now you want to come back later and ask for another one?
Do it all at once may just be the ticket.

As far as the recruits. My feel is that they are still impressionable 17/18 year olds. Anything shiny and new will impress them other that actual football. Look at some recruit's comments after signing day.

"They had good food and you always got enough to eat!"
"They play at So and So stadium with the Pros".

I'm sure you can remember some of the after-signings where the player said something which made you look twice. :o

I believe that The Dome will sell because of the State's inclement weather patterns, more than anything else.
Back to the top

Field Turf

I think your right about the stadium in a few ways but we don't have any history, no edge so to speak of. I think an indoor stadium would make people remember us. We would be one of two indoor 1A stadiums in the nation. That would attract some recruits. Plus I'm sure we could get a round of the NCAA's b-ball.
Back to the top
Control functions: