Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Almost Game Time!!

Almost Game Time!!

Owls have two more days of practice with eyes on Hawaii

By Ted Hutton
Staff Writer
Posted August 30 2004

BOCA RATON ? Florida Atlantic held a light workout Sunday and will be off today, leaving two more days of practice before the team heads for Honolulu on Thursday morning.

FAU will go directly to Aloha Stadium for a workout when it arrives and won't be back on the field until the game, which begins at 12:05 a.m. Sunday Eastern time (6:05 p.m. Saturday in Hawaii).

After flying 4,856 miles, FAU will watch a football flung around enough that it could qualify for frequent flyer miles in Hawaii's vaunted run-and-shoot offense.

The Warriors scored an average of 34.7 points a game last year, when they were 9-5, and gained an average of 488 yards per game, with 384 of that coming via the pass.

A big crowd

Aloha Stadium holds 50,000 and most of the seats should be filled, meaning the Owls will play before their biggest crowd ever, with very few fans cheering for an FAU upset

Hawaii averaged 41,308 in seven home games last year. FAU's biggest crowd was at the Owls' first game, the 2001 matchup vs. Slippery Rock in front of an announced crowd of 25,632.

H-X-Y-Z

With four wide receivers, Warriors coach June Jones went to the alphabet to differentiate them.

"No special meaning," Jones said about the letters chosen for the receiver positions.

From St. Louis to Manoa

Talk about a feeder program. Hawaii has 10 players from St. Louis School in Honolulu. St. Louis happens to employ the run-and-shoot offense and is where quarterback Timmy Chang went to school.

The Warriors have 54 home-grown players and 19 from California.

The rest are from around the United States and world, including three from Florida, three from Pago Pago (American Samoa) and one from Nigeria.

No rainbow

Hawaii uses the nickname Rainbow Warriors for all its men's teams other than football and Rainbow Wahine for its women's teams.

Hawaii were the Deans until 1923, when a rainbow appeared near the end of a game against Oregon State that Hawaii hung on to win 7-0, and the Rainbow tradition began.

But the football team decided "rainbow" was a bit light in the intimidation department and dropped it.

Long trip home

FAU will leave Hawaii at noon on Sunday and not return to South Florida until about 8 a.m. Monday, as it loses six hours.

Back to the top

Almost Game Time!!

I hope that their internal clocks are all screwed up. That's a long flight plus the time change! :-/
Back to the top

Almost Game Time!!

Great article, I hope you don't mind me sharing that with the Sports Hawaii fans too. The biggest concern for me is your Tight End. Covering the tight end has been a concern for the Warriors in recent years. Especially in short yardage and goal line situations. Hawaii has very quick and speedy DB's but like most teams they lack in height.

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Previous Sports Angel: Courtnee

Back to the top

Almost Game Time!!

By all means please share the link with your fans.

Your thoughts about the TE is really very common for most of our opponents. They run nice crisp routes and have some good hands. We now have TWO starting quality TE's on the roster. The Back-up is who made the noise last year!!!!!!! The original starter is back now.

It should be fun game. I just hope that Chang don't get in his midseason grove this 1st game.. :o
Back to the top

Almost Game Time!!

There is a small chance that he might be in midseason grove. Most reports say that he looks very sharp and is a six year senior. He has also been in the offense since 8th grade at St. Louis High school. 4 more days till the game! Good luck!

Mahalo,
Scott
www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Previous Sports Angel: Jane
Back to the top
Control functions: