Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Nov 6th...Troy's Homecoming Game!

now maybe things have changed in the last few years with college football, but it's my understanding when a team schedules you for its' homecoming game they plan on a blow out to give the fans somthing to cheer about. nothing like a little extra motivation for the team.
Back to the top

Troy has never really scheduled cream puffs for HC, probably because in recent years there have been no such teams on its schedule. I even recall Division II and I-AA games against arch rivals on Homecoming.

This year, the FAU game just happened to be set for the right weekend for Homecoming. The prior three weekends include two away games (Arkansas State and LSU) and a home game (Idaho) on Halloween weekend (bad for alumni with kids).

FAU gave Troy some trouble two years ago and the Trojans will remember that (as well as that monsoon and a stadium half demolished). It will be really nice this time and I encourage any South Florida FAU fans who want to come up to contact me for driving directions (9 hours or so), town tips, meeting places, etc.

Troy is a very small southern town (north of Dothan and south of Montgomery, both of which have acessible airports) with very friendly people. Everyone says hello and will help out a stranger. That's what drew me there from Wellington as a college freshman many years ago.

Living in Palm Beach County, I root for FAU when it is not playing Troy, and would like to meet some FAU fans. I could probably even arrange for visitors to meet up with us for some great tailgating.
Back to the top

I agree with BMarkey about the scheduling. Unfortunately the homecoming label bring back those thoughts for most people.

I loved the trip two years ago. I plan on going this year too. Stayed in Enterprise(?) or shorter name town on HWY 231. We drove about 10 miles to the game the next day.

Should be a great game with all this SunBelt talk floating around. Imagine if both are undefated or have 1 loss each.. :o
Back to the top

Most if not all of these motels can be booked online through their parent companies' Web sites, but at this point, I recommend calling directly and asking if the individual sites have rooms set aside.

If you are driving from Florida and cannot stay in Troy, I recommend first trying for rooms in Ozark, around a half-hour south of Troy on U.S. 231. Dothan (major city) has lots of rooms, around 45 minutes to an hour south of Troy. The major city 45 minutes north of Troy is Montgomery, which would be the place to stay if you are flying into MGM. Try to book a room on the south side of the city on or near U.S. 231, a major highway that leads straight to Troy.

Troy Hotel Information

Hampton Inn - 103 Troy Plaza Loop, on U.S. 231 at George Wallace Drive in the Troy Plaza, closest hotel to Troy University and the nicest and newest hotel in Troy. Phone: 334-807-5900

Comfort Inn - Used to be the newest, at 811 Highway 231. Free continental breakfast. Phone: 334-566-7799

Days Inn - 1260 Highway 231. Try to get a room in the new annex, not the older buildings. Phone: 334-566-1630

Holiday Inn - Old but nice with nice pool area, on U.S. 231 in north Troy. Great free buffet breakfast and decent local bar. Phone: 334-566-1150

Holiday Inn Express - Relatively new and nice, on U.S 231 in north Troy. Might also feature the free buffet breakfast at Holiday Inn next door. Phone: 334-670-0012

Scottish Inns - Highway 231 in north-central Troy. Kind of old, behind a popular local bar called the Double Branch. Book at this place pretty much as your last resort. Phone: 334-566-4090.

Motel 8 - 1013 Highway in Central Troy, near the university. Looks relatively new, decent and clean. Phone: 231 334-566-4960.

There are also some campgrounds in and near Troy. They look nice.

Feel free to e-mail me about places to eat, drink, see and experience. [email protected]

Back to the top

I stayed at the Comfort Inn. I believe that one is in Ozark. Nice clean facilities and a short ride to the game from the south 231 route.
They even let me check in 3 hrs early because I got in ahead of schedule.
Back to the top

Not just homecoming, any first home game teams expect to win. I dont think troy can blow us out and if they can they deserve to be in a harder conference.
Back to the top
Control functions: