Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Writing on the Walls-not so fast

First off, let me be one to let you all know that FAU's impact is not just in Florida. I am a graduate and work for New Mexico State University Athletics and a lot of attention had been turned towards the Owls. Even here, but that happened when I first let the NMSU AD know I was a graduate. His response? Simple.

"I'm worried about that game this year."

I covered the Owls opening practice, Oxley ground breaking and everything in between a Slippery Rock and the first I-95 show down. However, I have not seen this team in full blown like they are today (I'll be in Florida on Nov. 13…traveling with NMSU team).

Like NMSU, many opponents will struggle against the Owls. But, to say because its talent is just too broad. If you watch them, I mean really watch them…they are all very fast and very quick. Colgate will tell you that, even Northern Arizona who were over matched on their own turf. You can't teach speed and you sure as hell can't defend it very well (legally).

Their speed is hard to contain, hard to coach against and hard to predict. You can worry about what happens after graduation this year….but as it was clearly made obvious one time when Schnellenberger forgot Jared Allen's name at a press conference, the coaches know what type of players to go out and get….who they are, in fact, is very secondary.

Does anyone remember when a cornerback quit the team and Hughley stepped in to fill his spot? Now, Hughley is a household name in Boca Raton.

Everyone seems to worry about graduation or say FAU is seasoned and won't see a season like this in at least 4 years. I believe that team's face a lot of adversity more severe than graduation. Kids not making grades, missing practice, stealing from dilliard's, pistol whipping someone for no reason….I mean if you think about it any coach can predict graduation and have that in his mind when recruiting…graduation has gotta be the easiest part.

It's too early to worry and probably too early to tell…..but you know what will be fun? After a hefty D-I A schedule FAU could be playing in the D-I AA playoffs and possibly a national championship…..D-I AA teams might want to check their pants.
Back to the top

Thanks for all the credit, and I agree, graduation is expected and hopfully if we have a sucessfull season that will only boost our recruiting and we will have the best class we have ever gotten. As far as 1-AA playoffs, that cant happen this year, were a probationary 1A team.. means we cant play in 1AA playoffs or 1A bowl games. Next year, with any luck, we will be a member of the 1A sunbelt conference, then we should be able to compete for the New Orleans Bowl. Again thanks for the credit, alot of teams down here (FIU and UCF) especilly have belittled our performance so far.
Back to the top

I mentioned this on other thread in the past and will agree that gradution will have some effect on the team, we will be losing a lot of veterans & leaders, but in the same token the coaching staff new this would happen from the beggining so I would suspect that they will be prepared. Everybody has forgoten about our new recruiting class, it was not only our largest, but our best all are red-shirted this year. Even the current players have great things to say about them and with the veterans on this teams, I expect nothing less then from them and in becoming teachers for the young recruits.

Look when our starting center, George Guffey, went down with a knee injury - lost for the season, the heart and soul of our OL, he did everything he could to help his replacement and he step-up big time and has been terrific (and Guffey will be back next year).

Our biggest losses will be on Defense - who will be the next person (s) to step-up their game.

That what is so great about college Football, the unpredictablility, things are alwaying changing.
Back to the top

Again thanks for the credit, alot of teams down here (FIU and UCF) especilly have belittled our performance so far.
When has an FIU fan belittled what you've done so far? All the ones i've seen (including myself) have said nothing but positive things about what you guys are doing.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top

Hey ched, its Waters.. unfortunately since we are in transition, we get more scholarships than regular 1-AA teams and are therefore ineligible for the 1-AA playoffs.
Back to the top

Again thanks for the credit, alot of teams down here (FIU and UCF) especilly have belittled our performance so far.

I know you are kind of "new" posting in this boards, but I must tell you that most, if not all, FIU posters on this board, and the SBC board, have been very civil, actually more than that, very supportive and informative. BTW, the same can be said of FAU posters here and in the FIU board. I know this FIU-FAU thing is suppossed to be destined for a big rivalry, but at this moment, the rivalry has been very civil and high class, in my estimation.

On a personal note, I applauded and rooted for the Owls in their IAA playoffs run last season. Heck, I even defended FAU in some IAA boards, filled with envy and hatred for your team (and ours too, BTW) just because of our intentions to move to IA soon. I support FAU for different reasons, I think. One of them is that I like a Florida team over teams from other states. Other reason is that I'm hopeful that what FAU is doing, reflects on the future of what FIU can do as well. Additionally, we are sort of "joined at the hips" since there's a strong feeling that the success of one program (at least for the short term…) is paramount to the success of the other. Finally, we are now brothers in terms of conference affiliation, the Sun Belt.

Of course, there might be some FIU fand FAU fans that, in the heat of our "rivalry", will say and try to belittle the other program, but for the most part, at least in this stage, the vast majority are being quite supportive of each other. Of course, with the exception of when the Shula Bowl is being played ;)
Back to the top

Ok, not so much FIU but defenitly UCF. I was reading on a FIU board a negative comment that kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I agree though nearly all FIU fans have been great and have supported FAU, except whent he Shula bowl comes around ;D . Alot of FAU fans support you guys too, we have to boost the reputation of the sunbelt conference, Troy State is doing there part. By the way your back up QB, Tabor, I have only seen him play once but he looked solid last came, very consistant.
Back to the top

I have to agree with these FIU posters on this one. They have been very supportive with our run. They have joined me in defending both programs on "The Sky is falling" D1-AA board too.
You will have random comments about the other school(FAU/FIU) coming from both camps. That's just the nature of competition.

They have been congratulating us leading up to including this season and always comparing themselves to our 3rd year last year. That's the highest compliment right there.

Maxx, FIU Fanatic and ARod have been very upfront with their support as some of us has been with theirs on their board.

Now UCF is another story. They just hate everybody.
Sorry goldenknightowl.. ;)
Back to the top

Exactly, I will be supportive of you guys because you guys playing well helps the conference get better and that's just beneficial to everyone involved. Some may talk a little trash, but even the biggest FAU hater can admit that what you guys have done thus far is phenomenal. Besides, it'd be great for you guys to be 10-0 when you play us, that way we can play the role of spoiler ;) ;D

BTW, after seeing some teams get 80 and 90 points this weekend (Georgia Southern and Western Illinois), I immediately thought of your game with Edward Waters, you might just beat them by that much.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top

I've been lurking for a long, long while but decided to finally post. I think there is mutual respect between FIU and FAU and our fans. Of course, we're natural rivals so each school will say some not-so-nice things about the other. That's part of the rivalry thing. I can't wait for this year's game. If we get our QB and kicker situation settled it'll be a dog fight - even moreso than last year's game!
Back to the top
Control functions: