Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

From the Palm Beach Post

FAU still surprising Schnellenberger, opponents

By JEFF PRICE
Associated Press Writer

FLORIDA ATLANTIC:@ Howard Schnellenberger is amazed by few things after more than four decades as a college and pro coach. But his Florida Atlantic team tends to surprise him every now and then.

The Owls (2-0) knocked off their second straight Division I-A team last weekend, handing perennial Sun Belt power North Texas a stunning 20-13 defeat in Denton. That followed a season-opening win at Hawaii, almost 5,000 miles and five time zones away.

"There's no way I could have expected to go out on the road and for them to get two wins," Schnellenberger said. "Both against bowl teams, both of whom won their bowl games."

FAU now faces off against I-A Middle Tennessee (1-0) on Saturday, a team the Owls beat last season to claim the school's first win over a I-A opponent.

The Owls, down by 12 points with just over six minutes left, won the game on the last play, a desperation 62-yard touchdown pass from Jared Allen to Roosevelt Bynes as time ran off the clock.

"It gives us a great sense of pride to overcome two scores and to win it on the last play," Schnellenberger said. "It's obviously a great feat."

Saturday's game at Middle Tennessee will be the third straight road game against a I-A opponent to start the season for the Owls, in their first season as a conditional member of I-A.

Despite a win over the Blue Raiders last season, Schnellenberger says FAU won't treat this game any different.

"These early games and the success we've had against Hawaii and North Texas," he said. "That's more important than success in any game last year."

Back to the top

From the Palm Beach Post

From the Palm Beach Post

They are full of good stuff today.

http://www.palmbeachpo…4/09/16/a9c_fau_0916.html

And on 1400am The FAN… FAU was mentioned on the predictions with the lines by a prominent on-line oddsmaker. "The difference between FAU vs. Middle Tennessee and Troy is that when they first appeared on the board (gambling lines) they would not cover (the spread).. .FAU is not only covering, but they are winning the games."
Back to the top
Control functions: