Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU vs. Western Kentucky (GAME CANCELLED)

http://www.fiusports.c…tball/releases/092304.htm

:'( >:( :'( >:(
Thursday, September 23, 2004

Hurricane Jeanne Travel Concerns Postpone FIU Football vs. Western Kentucky

Saturday's NCAA football game between Western Kentucky and Florida International University has been postponed after WKU officials decided against traveling into South Florida this weekend due to the potential threat from Hurricane Jeanne.

"Obviously, we are very disappointed because there was a lot of anticipation and excitement surrounding this game. We did not cancel the game. Western Kentucky felt it was in the best interest of their student-athletes not to travel into South Florida this weekend," said FIU Athletic Director Rick Mello.

This is the second home opener canceled due to the weather. The Golden Panthers were scheduled to host Jacksonville on Sept. 2 when the game was canceled due to Hurricane Frances. With this weekend's postponement, FIU's first home game, and only its second contest of the 2004 season, will now take place on Saturday, Oct. 2 against Louisiana-Lafayette.

"Our first priority is to get this game against Western Kentucky rescheduled; however, at this point any rescheduling will involve moving other games to accommodate both schools," said Mello.

?The decision to reschedule our football game versus Florida International University was not one that was made lightly or without considerable input from a variety of constituents. We had to prepare for the worst-case scenario of Hurricane Jeanne and the overriding safety concerns for our student-athletes, coaches and families traveling to the Miami area,? said Western Kentucky Director of Athletics Dr. Wood Selig. ?I truly feel for FIU and athletic director Rick Mello, as I know all the tremendous efforts that have been made for their 2004 home opener versus WKU.

?We do look forward to competing against FIU and a trip to the Miami area at a mutually agreeable date later in the season. We regret any inconvenience or change in plans such a decision may have caused.?<br>
The post-game concert, featuring Method Man and Redman, is still on as scheduled, pending weather or other developments.
Back to the top

it's costing FIU $80,000 to get redman and methodman down to south florida. now it won't even help their attendance issues, what a mess.

so now how much does the school charge for the ticket, and will anyone be willing to go to the concert hours before a hurricane hits(which might head south)?
Back to the top

Thats suck big time, I feel your pain. :'( :'( :'(
Back to the top

it's costing FIU $80,000 to get redman and methodman down to south florida. now it won't even help their attendance issues, what a mess.

so now how much does the school charge for the ticket, and will anyone be willing to go to the concert hours before a hurricane hits(which might head south)?

All I have to say is REAL BUMMER!!! Talk about the difficulty in trying to build a tradition. That 2 games now, meanwhile you guys are sitting pretty at 3-0. I would hate to see your game cancelled also because they are talking about the 'Fins vs Steelers game being cancelled or rescheduled. I want you guys to also get your 15,000+ and with all these hurricane preparations, no fans will have any money left to come to our games?! What is a FIU/FAU fan to do?
Back to the top

I know from selfish standpoint, that is terrible! Those WKU folks probably had all kind of pressures from the familes, administration and alumni about driving TOWARD the storm.

This may sound narrowminded but that's not my intent folks.
I hope the NCAA is paying attention to these games which FIU had to cancel. That wreaks havoc with the attendance target! Just wondering if they have a Plan B for situations beyond the universities' control.
I may be asking this same question later on Friday about ISU and FAU's game.. :(
Back to the top

MAN!!! I feel bad for FIU... at least we have three games under our belt. Hey FIU will remain undefeated ;D . But wow, that does suck for FIU.. they say the bad weather isnt supposed to hit till 7-8 oclock... I have a feeling well fall to the same fate as FIU this weekend... bummer
Back to the top

I think Western Kentucky jumped the gun in making the decision. They should have waited till tomorrow morning like you guys are doing in order to make the decision. This really sucks to have everything planned for a nice big game and then have this happen. Hopefully if the hurricane turns away Western Kentucky will change their minds and come down.

Panthers on the Rise
Back to the top
Control functions: